• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too birds with one stone.

People dont like change. I for one can see what TWI did. And its fairly close to what OP has in mind, but not entirely true.

And I fully understand their decision and support it. Because while the game may not be the ZOMGWTFBBQ WWII simulator the predecesor was...(even then there was a lot of unrealistic things in that game) ..RO2 plays very nice, ITS FUN, and it has good things from both sub genres of FPS games.

Its a prefect blend of realism and fun.

That is my 2 cents.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
Tripwire really isn't trying to appeal to CoD players.

The game plays nothing like CoD, the weapons handle nothing like in CoD, and the closest comparison is the class progression everyone is so worked up about. Which is simply trying to simulate veteran soldiers getting access to new equipment, which in time will barely be noticeable because everyone will have everything.

A lot of people simply want RO1 with updated graphics and identical gameplay, but it has been obvious from the start this was never Tripwires goal. RO1 still exists, and this is a new and different game.

The hard line RO1 players who want the same game and yell COD at everyone and everything they don't like is just silly. Especially when its painfully obvious very few CoD players are interested or playing RO2.

Upvote 0
Honestly, there are some new features that enhance the game and make it fun for me (cover system for example). There, however, are other features that ruin it for me (unlock system and squad leader spawning for example). The unlock system and squad leader spawning were two reasons I played RO:OST instead of BC2. As soon as a mod for RO2 comes out that removes these features, I won't even look back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah i felt as though this game is kind of in limbo.

On one hand you have Ost Front fans saying its not authentic/challenging enough, and they you have more casual gamers claiming its too difficult.

Only people here who seem 100% happy are these awkward hybrid gamers, hwo have either been genetically engineered or contain some sort of demon blood.

No but in all seriousness, its like RO doesnt know what it wants to be. It has some realistic/authentic elements, but it also contains some very arcade like components as well. Including what seems like a half assed unlock system thrown in for no good reason other than, "everyone else is doing it."

It makes gameplay very schizophrenic.

Reactions: CCCP
Upvote 0
Only people here who seem 100% happy are these awkward hybrid gamers, hwo have either been genetically engineered or contain some sort of demon blood.

I'm not 100% happy. I'd peg it closer to 80% happy. My happiness has literally zero to do with people's hang ups here, that such and such isn't authentic, that RO2 has "too many systems", and on. Mine are all performance and bug-related, and if you've played any MP or SP PC game in the last 10 years, you're used to the problems that RO2 has right now.

I'm the sort of person that plays realism shooters, and everything else FPS, for different reasons. RO2 is hitting a nice middle ground for me. I'm glad TWI decided to not simply make RO1 with better graphics. Any WWII shooter they wanted to do wasn't going anywhere new if the really bitter RO1 vets had anything to say about it.

I shouldn't throw too many stones though. I hated what Battlefield 2 became with Bad Company and Bad Company 2.

But then I brushed the sand out of my mangina, played it and found things to like about it, even if there will always be things about it I can't stand.

For anyone that has played what's consider the top of the FPS market and been sick of it, RO2 is a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Switchblade
Upvote 0
lol .. i hated RO1, got it on a five dollar steam sale when i was bored and everything felt wierd and awkward .. and hated cod(except 1(PC) and 4 on xbox360) , and bc2(got bored of mp in 2 days, liked sp a bit) ..
.. saw stuff about ro2 on youtube long time ago, and ever since then i wanted this game .. and i dont regret buying it, not even for a second.. ;)

Upvote 0
tbh i dont know who they are trying to appeal to.

On one hand you have the COD guys who will just leave for COD as for them it will be a better game i would imagine.
The same goes with BF boys.

On the other hand, i dont see how it appeals to RO1 people either, as its nowhere near as Hardcore as it used to be.

F knows

Upvote 0
To be honest, the upgrading system does make sort of sence since teh longer a soldier is in the field, teh better he gets with his war sence and more familliar with the weapon he's using.

so just pure faster reload and stable aiming better reflexes, less likely to spook at stuff is totally understandable.

prototype weapons are... sort of understandable aslong as they get restricted to a very low number.

weapon upgrades are understandable up untill they get silly with stuff that wasn't even made at the time. i can understand a soldier thats been in the field for a while has his weapon honed towards his personal preference and added certain things and removed others.

this is actual realism because a real soldier got better at stuff the longer he survived not start as a vetran the day he was shipped to the eastfront.

Upvote 0
To be honest, the upgrading system does make sort of sence since teh longer a soldier is in the field, teh better he gets with his war sence and more familliar with the weapon he's using.

so just pure faster reload and stable aiming better reflexes, less likely to spook at stuff is totally understandable.

prototype weapons are... sort of understandable aslong as they get restricted to a very low number.

weapon upgrades are understandable up untill they get silly with stuff that wasn't even made at the time. i can understand a soldier thats been in the field for a while has his weapon honed towards his personal preference and added certain things and removed others.

this is actual realism because a real soldier got better at stuff the longer he survived not start as a vetran the day he was shipped to the eastfront.

Right, but YOU are the soldier. The longer YOU play, the better YOU get.

Upvote 0
Right, but YOU are the soldier. The longer YOU play, the better YOU get.
yes and no.

you get better (reflexes and map knowledge) but the soldier is always the same, gun is teh same supression rate is the same reload is the same everything is the same aim time is the same.

this system represents your soldier actually getting better at what he does like wat a real life soldier would become after beeing in a war for months at a time.

the soldier in real life will get decensetized to supressing fire after months of beeing shot at to a certain degree.

he would get better reflexes to stuff that really matters and ignore shelss that impact away from him, bombs and mortars that will not hit near him.

he would be better with his weapon cause he's been useing it for what seems ages to him, and he would of customized it and put the ironsight a just the right position for quicker aiming.

a rookie fresch in the meatgrinder ducks for every explosion, has gotten his rifle recently and hasn't had time to propeprly adjust the ironsight, will sh*t his pants first time he gets shot at etc etc.

this is what the leveling system stands for, appart from the player getting better, the avatar gets better at his job too which is the only way to represent the difference between a frech rookie and a battle hardend soldier in a way.

Upvote 0
tbh i dont know who they are trying to appeal to.

On one hand you have the COD guys who will just leave for COD as for them it will be a better game i would imagine.
The same goes with BF boys.

On the other hand, i dont see how it appeals to RO1 people either, as its nowhere near as Hardcore as it used to be.

F knows
It's not important if they leave as long as they bought a copy of RO2. It's not hard to understand.

Upvote 0
It's not important if they leave as long as they bought a copy of RO2. It's not hard to understand.

Your wrong, because its not just about initial sales. What if i was a new player lets say ...6 months down the road and was about to buy this game? I get it and suddently i find myself playing a dead game with less then 10 active servers?

I will go online and write about this informing others. Players leaving the game IS NEVER a good thing regardless of their tastes. Players presence is what keep multiplayer focused games going.

Upvote 0