• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

to the devs ; different versions for diff. ages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GfrSeifter

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2007
Austria
is there any information about censorship which has to be expected in Germany or Austria? Will there be different versions of the game?
Do you plan to implement devotional objects of the 3rd reichhttp://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=Ci4HO3kMAA&search=objects&trestr=0x401?

As Austrian: Is it helpful to order the US version of the game when I know that I have to activate it on Steam and steam censors when they want as in Ostfront?

is there any information about censorship which has to be expected in Germany or Austria? Will there be different versions of the game?
Do you plan to implement devotional objects of the 3rd reichhttp://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=Ci4HO3kMAA&search=objects&trestr=0x401?

As Austrian: Is it helpful to order the US version of the game when I know that I have to activate it on Steam and steam censors when they want as in Ostfront?

Germans and Austrians should actually go pester their governments about it, instead of individual game developers.

On many a forum I see those people complain and even blaming the developers for wanting to be able to sell their game in a particular country.

Go do a petition, I;m sure German law provides means for citizens to get things on the political agenda.

Reactions: Karabiner98k
Upvote 0
It still won't work. The censorship is based on Steam. If Steam knows you live in Germany (i.e. your language is set to German) it will censor the blood and gore when RO loads up. If it thinks you live in the USA, there will be nothing censored.

Go into Steam and change your language. Then load up RO1 and see what happens.

Apparently this doesn't work for all games, but it worked for Red Orchestra.

Upvote 0
It's not true for all games, I live in Germany and have perfectly uncut versions of L4D1, L4D2, HL2:Ep2, Killing Floor and more.

Red Orchestra 1 indeed filters for country-IPs, but newer implementations of steamworks allow for different AppIDs of the same game so different versions can be distinguished by CD-key. I think that's the way TWI will do it this time, because they got a lot of complaining about RO 1.

But we better wait for an official anouncement to be sure.

Upvote 0
It still won't work. The censorship is based on Steam. If Steam knows you live in Germany (i.e. your language is set to German) it will censor the blood and gore when RO loads up. If it thinks you live in the USA, there will be nothing censored.

Go into Steam and change your language. Then load up RO1 and see what happens.

Apparently this doesn't work for all games, but it worked for Red Orchestra.

No it doesn't, it's depending on where you buy the product from. My german community members have just gotten North Americans to buy them games (they give us the money, we gift it over) and then they have no restrictions and no terrible german translations.

Upvote 0
Simply setting Steam to "English" won't do nothing, as stated many times on the forums so don't keep on telling people it does.

For L4D series I know it works to use a non-german version of the game where you can set Steam to "German" (e.g. for german audio) or whatever language you want.

For RO1, as someone recently told me, you have to set Steam to "English" and than close it. Next start RO1 by using the redorchestra.exe in your
\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\system - folder (remember: Steam must be OFF). When RO1 is started just take a look at 'Options/Game' - you'll instantly see it worked.
Last minimize RO1 and start steam to get MP access and all's fine.

I'd guess in the worst case RO2 will have to have it the same way, as long as using a non-german version isn't enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20.PzGr.Fleck
Upvote 0
Germans and Austrians should actually go pester their governments about it, instead of individual game developers.

On many a forum I see those people complain and even blaming the developers for wanting to be able to sell their game in a particular country.

Go do a petition, I;m sure German law provides means for citizens to get things on the political agenda.

Please DO NOT talk about things you don't understand. It is easy to get legally around censoring if steams thinks for a minute. You can easilly and legally import uncut versions to Germany and play it uncut, I have done this with L4D2, however sometimes those geniuses at steam decide to cut it even tho there is nothing legally forcing them to do so (RO for example).

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
Simply setting Steam to "English" won't do nothing, as stated many times on the forums so don't keep on telling people it does.

For L4D series I know it works to use a non-german version of the game where you can set Steam to "German" (e.g. for german audio) or whatever language you want.

For RO1, as someone recently told me, you have to set Steam to "English" and than close it. Next start RO1 by using the redorchestra.exe in your
\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\system - folder (remember: Steam must be OFF). When RO1 is started just take a look at 'Options/Game' - you'll instantly see it worked.
Last minimize RO1 and start steam to get MP access and all's fine.

I'd guess in the worst case RO2 will have to have it the same way, as long as using a non-german version isn't enough.

Isn't that almost exactly what I said?

Upvote 0
Please DO NOT talk about things you don't understand. It is easy to get legally around censoring if steams thinks for a minute. You can easilly and legally import uncut versions to Germany and play it uncut, I have done this with L4D2, however sometimes those geniuses at steam decide to cut it even tho there is nothing legally forcing them to do so (RO for example).
I think you're the one who's not understanding things.

I wasn't talking about getting around the censoring in Steam.

I was talking about getting your country to ban or relax their censorship as to get rid of it at the source. The Australians did it, I don;t see why Germans couldn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was talking about getting your country to ban or relax their censorship as to get rid of it at the source. The Australians did it, I don;t see why Germans couldn't.
I can't see this work.
First at all, petitions in Germany rarely become big enough to be actually discussed in the responsible commitee. Even the intoduction of internet-based petitions didn't really change this.
Second, games and gamers do not have a big, strong lobby in Germany - instead, games are often mentioned together with negative incidents, like school shootings, the recent massacre in Norway (n-tv was actually talking about the well-known "killer game" and "ego shooter" World of Warcraft) or studies proving some negative effect of new media (e. g. internet addiction).
I do not see a real chance for a petition/Volksbegehren (oh, and even if we would manage to succesfully bring a Volksbegehren into Bundestag: they can simply dismiss it and there is no way for an ordinary German to create an undismissable Volksentscheid). And most of our political parties are relatively conservative/unknowing when it comes to games or the internet (especcially the SPD and CDU, our biggest parties, which seem to see the internet mostly as some sort of cheap billboard).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't see this work.
First at all, petitions in Germany rarely become big enough to be actually discussed in the responsible commitee. Even the intoduction of internet-based petitions didn't really change this.
Second, games and gamers do not have a big, strong lobby in Germany - instead, games are often mentioned together with negative incidents, like school shootings, the recent massacre in Norway (n-tv was actually talking about the well-known "killer game" and "ego shooter" World of Warcraft) or studies proving some negative effect of new media (e. g. internet addiction).
I do not see a real chance for a petition/Volksbegehren (oh, and even if we would manage to succesfully bring a Volksbegehren into Bundestag: they can simply dismiss it and there is no way for an ordinary German to create an undismissable Volksentscheid). And most of our political parties are relatively conservative/unknowing when it comes to games or the internet (especcially the SPD and CDU, our biggest parties, which seem to see the internet mostly as some sort of cheap billboard).

Yeah, I've heard this. But I was just trying to make a point. Germans are the only people that can change their country's censorship policies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.