• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tiger Tank VS. T-34

I aint got any problems with the Tigers armour in game at the moment, just the main gun is way too weak!

It also said in the video that a Tiger was hit over 220 times and still survived. Now I thought happened in Afrika?

Must of been this: http://www.esatclear.ie/~godot/04.jpg

"Hit 227 times by anti-tank rifle fire, 14 times by 52mm rounds and 11 times by 76mm rounds."

Upvote 0
actually there is a solution out there:

just install armored beasts 2.65 and enjoy realistic tank combat. works nearly perfect. its out and there are several servers running it. play on them and forget the ****ty standard tanks.
i cant understand that everybody says "tanks suck, we want more realism" and there is a nearly perfect close to reality mod out there that runs fine and there are even server hosting it, but nobody plays it. ab is what u guys want, just get it.

as i said: stop crying and play with armored beasts.

edit: the funny thing is that it is better balanced than stock ro. also forgot to say that u can actually can penetrate a angled tanks turret.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
even with stockloadouts:
panther can be killed from the front by a t3485(turret), is2 can be killed even when angled with turretshots. is2 is hardhitting, but has really slow reload now, compared to other tanks, pz4 and t34 can kill each other quite fast.
the tanks feel much more different with more specific pros and cons.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I've tried AB too and it's just perfect. It even models engine fires so that you have to get out after your tank catches fire. In stock RO, you can roam around without any penalties :)

I think one of the reasons the mutator is not popular is because it sounds like a "Uber nazi wtf german bias mod". Which is not, people have to understand that.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I've tried AB too and it's just perfect. It even models engine fires so that you have to get out after your tank catches fire. In stock RO, you can roam around without any penalties :)

I think one of the reasons the mutator is not popular is because it sounds like a "Uber nazi wtf german bias mod". Which is not, people have to understand that.

Stock RO again is "Wtf uber commies" and yeah Armored beasts servers are mostly empty :(

The angleing thing in stock RO is a bit overrated, I dont thing you can angle a kevlar vest against a 50. cal and deflect the bullet, or can you? :p

Upvote 0
The angleing thing in stock RO is a bit overrated, I dont thing you can angle a kevlar vest against a 50. cal and deflect the bullet, or can you? :p

Your analogy breaks down in a couple places here.

First, and most glaringly, a 50-cal vs even a Level III vest with trauma plates is >99% PK, no matter what angle. It's somewhat similar to shooting a T-34 with a 16"/50 cal from the IOWA.

Second, angling only makes a difference with flat, hard surfaces. Vests are conformal, and they tend to be round. Also, they tend to be quite flexible. They work on a whole different principle than hard-surface armor.

Upvote 0
It is, but the problems with stock RO's armor system are more complicated than simply "OMG uber commies."

I think people only tend to notice the problems when doing "big cats vs. cheap and worthless Soviet armor" matchups (and yes, I'm being sarcastic about player's perception here).

The truth is that the problems are not uniquely one-sided, although they may appear to be given how some things are handled by the engine and based on some of the coding.

"Super angling" affects BOTH sides and gives you "WTH??" shots no matter what the armor matchup is.

People only notice THIS particular matchup (T-34-76 vs. Tiger I) because of their own narrowly focused points of view.

It's not just about "WTFOMGBBQ teh Tig3r is n3rf3d!!!" The whole armor system has problems ranging from long-range penetration model issues, to overmodelling of angling, to short-range penetration issues, to maps that are essentially all "close combat" maps for tanks.

And while AB is a great mutator, it's not finished, it likely won't be for a while, and it too has flaws.

Upvote 0
It is, but the problems with stock RO's armor system are more complicated than simply "OMG uber commies."

I think people only tend to notice the problems when doing "big cats vs. cheap and worthless Soviet armor" matchups (and yes, I'm being sarcastic about player's perception here).

Very true. Alas, people complaining about getting more realistic tigers normally forget about the downside of this, aka only getting one Tiger every 30 T34's the russians get.

Upvote 0
Very true. Alas, people complaining about getting more realistic tigers normally forget about the downside of this, aka only getting one Tiger every 30 T34's the russians get.

And even more sad fact that when it comes to late war maps only tanks that could really withstand more than 1-2 hits (possibly) is Panther and possibly IS-2 in the generic RO engagement range.

just install armored beasts 2.65 and enjoy realistic tank combat

With all the respect "realistic tank combat" is impossible to achieve in FPS. Sure it improves it, but it still has lots flaws. Just note that I don't mean that AB mutator sucks, I just agree with Solo that it does have more or less flaws.

And the fact we have way too small maps to actually have any other tank battle than bang bang kabum kagum kapow bang kabum if we speak by the name of 'realism'.

Upvote 0
I love how in every thread where people complain about the tank system or mention the AB mutator some just can't help but try to bring it down to a "you're all nazi fanboys" every two to three pages.

The AB mutator does not make Tigers or Panthers indestructable. For example T34 85's can finally take out Panthers frontally on Arad. In either case there are a lot less "wtf?" situations on those few servers running the mutator.

Upvote 0