• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Throwing grenades inside a tank through the front little rectangle

Fun fact. No... not the KV1
In the winter war, the finns often jumped ontop of tank ( from roofs etc when avalible) and used their SMGs and much more to blast the face away from the driver, wound and kill whatever was inside.. .

But nade? nah... way too slim a slit..

Another fun fact, KV-1 was never really used in Winter War.:)

The things you described might have happened with T-26 and BT-5/7 tanks. But they were not common, because finnish soldiers could also use molotovs, logs and satchells, so they didn

Upvote 0
They where KV1s.. a group of them broke through the mannerheim line.. but all where blown/shot away when they got to a town..

gemme a little time and il give you my sources hangon...

Got it.. on 19-20th december a squadron pf KV1 tanks smashed their way into the village of suma. "finnish infantry swarmed over the roofs of the village, jumping on the roofs of the tanks, fiering their suomies through the drivers visionslit. while others drenched the KVs with molotow coctails..."

Seems to me that being pritty shure isnt enough.. => link below.. I beleave more in discovery than il ever beleave in you =)

beleave me now?
Scandinavia - the forgotten front

Upvote 0
You gotta admire the Finnish beating back those relentless Soviet attacks.-:)
Even with crappy planes like the Brewster:

At the beginning of hostilities, Finland had a mere 307 aircraft. The Soviets had a large assortment of both modern and outdated fighters including the I-152, I-153, MIG-1, MIG-3, Yak-1, and Yak-7; plus Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-40s, and P-39s supplied by the Western Allies. Despite overwhelming numerical and, in many cases, qualitative superiority the "Pylly Walteri" (the Finns nickname for the B-239) performed exceedingly well against the Soviets Air Force. By the end of the Continuation War (as the Finns dubbed it) they had downed 496 aircraft, losing only 19 B-239s.
Quite possibly the best Air Force of the Second World War, in terms of kill-to-loss ratio, belonged to the Finland, an ally of Germany. And one of the most ironic results of that war was that the preferred fighter of the Finns is widely considered today to be the worst fighter of the war, an aircraft that failed in every other theatre in which it participated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've got mixed reactions to this thread as far as the Finnish stuff goes: I know I've seen reference regarding a very limited use of KV-1 and KV-2 on the Finnish front pre-Barbarossa (but no, I'm not going to go find it for you. I don't really care that much). But, the only way someone is going to shoot a KV driver is if his head is sticking out of the hatch - which is pretty likely, since accounts of those Russian vision blocks relate that they were opaque to the point of uselessness and therefore drivers commonly left the hatch cracked open even when they were under direct fire.

I personally love the much more passive method employed by the Finns: anti-tank loggers. The Finnish army resupplied itself with a large number of captured but completely undamaged Russian vehicles simply by jamming logs between roadwheels and then waiting for the crews to either surrender or freeze to death. This tactic has benefited modern historians because the Finns still have in their museums the only remaining examples of quite a number of early Russian tanks and military vehicles.

Upvote 0
Brewster was absolutely fine plane on right hands. You know finnish pilots called it "Sky Pearl", "Taivaanhelmi".

Read from here. It says a lot on this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Buffalo#Finland

ugh not wikipedia. Anyway of course they loved it they had the most success with the Brewster. Where as on every other front it was a miserable failure and considered obsolete which is whay I said you gotta admire the Finnish.

Upvote 0
ugh not wikipedia. Anyway of course they loved it they had the most success with the Brewster. Where as on every other front it was a miserable failure and considered obsolete which is whay I said you gotta admire the Finnish.

Its a bit of a mistake to dismiss "outdated" designs like the Brewster (or PZL P.11c, I-16, Hurricane, Zero etc etc), because they had something more modern designs did not, extreme manouverabillity, they where nimble, quick to react to any input, and they would turn on a dime, if you ever got suckered into a furball with them, chances are they would have you for lunch.
That was their streangth, and they where just plain better at it than newer designs.

In the end, speed prooved more usefull, and the new designs where the wave of the future, but people are much too quick to dismiss how usefull thease older planes could be ;)

Upvote 0