• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thread for teamwork/realism lovers

Thread for teamwork/realism lovers

• Increased suppression when away from teammates

Votes: 63 44.7%
  • Wound effects on stamina/aiming and movement.

Votes: 86 61.0%
  • Alternative respawn/reinforcement system

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • More game modes/types - Ie meeting engagent

Votes: 53 37.6%
  • Effective communication

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • Squad system

Votes: 74 52.5%
  • Historical/geo realism

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Weapon realism

Votes: 91 64.5%
  • LImited classes and ammo

Votes: 56 39.7%
  • Other options that is not mentioned: Plz post

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teq

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006
Before you read:
Please submit supportive and constructive ideas only.
If you have an idea please dont waste our time with whining and disrespect.
I dont really care if theese ideas are too complex or too many.
Implementing just one or two of them would greatly improve the gameplay.

RO-REALISM MODiFICATION:

1) Group respawn (Map maker Default = 1)
* 4 to 6 players must die to respawn
* 60 min respawntime if 4 players dont die (helps grouping)
* Players in Spawn, will be considered "dead", to avoid AFK.

2) Limited Class respawns (Map maker option)

* Rare weapons has spawn limit IE max 10 MG spawns etc

3) Maps with random objectives:

* Random "on the fly" mission creator (multiple objectives on map that change randomly)
* Once an objective has been capped, you dont know what objective will come next (to avoid map familiarization) This way the game will the gamestyle may dynamically change from defence to attack during the same round.
* The commanders role will be more important, cause ONLY he knows the objectives (on map) :) :) And you can only see his map and orders if you are near him.

4) Fix halftracks and tanks
* Limited tank respawns
* Limited Halftrack respawns
* Slow position change for crew.
* Correct armour values (specially the tiger)

5) Realistic communication range and effect
* 3D local VOIP (maximum range 50m?)
* REMOVE team VOIP for all Infantry (tanks and CO has it)
* 3D voicecommands (maximum range 50m?)
* if you see teamtags you are within comm range.

6) Artificial added content to compensate for "not being there":
* Increase suppression FX-Aim shake, stamina bleed, object penetration, SSonic bullets,
slower reload, large smoke puffs)
* Commander does not score him self, but must be close to teammates to share their scores.
* Lessened suppression effect for staying close to Commander
* Teamtags visible for everyone within 25m (in real life its easier to know wher ur mates are)

7) Soundfixes
* Supersonic Cracks from bullets
* Teamporary deafness with tinnitus on near explotions

8) Other realism Ideas:
* Knockdown on heavy explotions and bullet hits to leg (instead of slowing down :p )
* Becomming "winded" if sprinting too long (instead of auto slowdown)
* Reload fumble (Press "R" twice w/ correct timing for fast and clean reload)

This will make firefights last longer, players will be less-heroic, one will have more time to coordinate and communicate.
Additionally one will survive longer as firefights may be engaged at longer distances.

If we can make a mut/mod, we get to try our needs, while the opposition get their needs = end of unlimited argues and flaming.

PICTURES:
Comming
RELEVANT FORUM THREADS:
Squad systems: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=115006#post115006
Communication zones: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897
Suppression FX:
Artillery/mortars:
Increased fear:
Wound effects:

WE NEED coders, 3D artists, Mapmakers, supporters, and ideas NOW!

Current crew: 1 soundartist, 1-3d artist, 1x Html

If you enjoy this idea and want to help creating a Mod/mutation for RO, based on this, or just have feedback, please contact me.:)

Last edited:
Increased suppression effects:

Increased suppression effects:

I have noticed that many wants to up the fear of death:
For that I have the following suggestion:

1) Increased suppression effects:

a) Drag down the ambience/footsteps sounds abit and increase the impact sounds and whizzle so its volume exceeds all sounds.
b) Increase suppression blur by 200%
c) Staying 25 m from teammates reduce blur by X%
d) Add a morale/fear indicator - That shows how safe you feel (ammount of teammates within 25m)
If the morale indicator display red = stamina decreases which again effect your aiming sway.

* This slows down the game phase, counters heroic behaviour, adds greatly to teamwork, and above all - makes suppression fire WORK.
MG and commander = less affected by blur.

2) Create group respawns instead of 15 sec interval respawns.

a) when 1/3 of the squad/team is dead (if no squad system), they all respawn together.
* This increase waiting time abit, prevents suicide, and adds to teamwork. (Functionally best if we have a squad system)
b) As covering fire will be nessesary to suppress, a limitation to ammo stock would give the game a nice twist.
- A team that in the beginning fires alot to supress might run free of ammo and have to retreat and conserve their rounds.

c) Also limitation to the number of respawns to rare classes like the MG, AT-teams, snipers, tanks, and commanders, would greatly increase the fear of death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They might not bleed entirely to death but within the space of 15 minutes, if your bleeding fairly significantly your bodies reactions will begin to slow and eventually you'll go into shock, I think trying to represent this in the game would be pretty cool. Also i think that, if anything, the weapon sounds should be increased, or made a bit...tougher because at the moment many of the weapon sounds are a bit...weak

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I have a dream. I have a dream that someday people would realise that bleeding to death within the time of a single round while still being able to fight is anything but realistc!

I agree, if youre hit and severly wounded, you will not be able to continue to fight.
BUT, Wound effects doesnt nesseary mean: bleed to death.
It means that if you are lightly wounded(fleshwound), you may watch your self bleeding and the function of the limb hit will be somewhat reduced = realistic, no?
Thus you will see a blood trail, or if hit in the hand, you may see blood on it.

Additionally your morale will drop significantly and adrenaline will pump you a nice little tunnelvision, no?
This will make you hopefully duck for cover to regain your vision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Khain said:
They might not bleed entirely to death but within the space of 15 minutes, if your bleeding fairly significantly your bodies reactions will begin to slow and eventually you'll go into shock, I think trying to represent this in the game would be pretty cool. Also i think that, if anything, the weapon sounds should be increased, or made a bit...tougher because at the moment many of the weapon sounds are a bit...weak

maybe bring back the weapon sounds from 3.3? i thinkthey sound a lot louder then those in ostfront
and i think bleeding should be in, so you leave a trail for people to follow, and make a leg wound permanent (you cant go back to running, but if you do, your screen should go red/blurry for the pain or something like that )

Upvote 0
Khain said:

Khain said:
the weapon sounds should be increased, or made a bit...tougher because at the moment many of the weapon sounds are a bit...weak

I Agree, but I instead of increasing weapons sounds I would Decrease ambience, engines, footsteps sounds -30%, increase impact effects by +25% and keep the weapons as they are.

Reason: This will force you to up your total volume to hear the footsteps and weapons, thus the Impacts will increase in intencity and suppression effects will be more fearfull fearful.

Whatch "saving private ryan" and "Band of brothers" to understand my point.

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
another idea, make heavy breathing soldiers easier to hear. you would IRL,
and now you hear him just before he sticks his bayonet in your guts:D IRL you would have heard him coming a long time before he even reaches that point
Ah sounds nice :) :) Im so eager about this, that I cant even sleep :D
Hope for some coder to fall for this so we can get the most adrenalinefilled mod ever made!

I dream of long lasting firefights where you can stay alive as long as you dont do anything heroic and stupid.
You'd have to use the four F's (Find em, fix em, flank em and finish them)

Visulize you encounter suppression fire from an enemy squad and you have to stick close to your men to reduce the blur effect to gain fire superiourity.
Once the enemy is suppressed (they cant aim because of the blur), you can flank them and finish them.

Imagine you are the enemy, pinned down. Bullets slam into your cover imparing your hearing.
Your vision is completely blurred/dark and your hearbeat is totally wild.
Then you hear the heavy breathing of a flanking team comming around you! :D
I'd be scared **** and try to reatreat or scream for backup to reduce the suppression.. :)

And just imagine the suppression effect a tank would have :D You would completely rely on a friendly tank, or a AT-team to release your self from the pin.

"Fear of death is not about dieng quicky, but feeling you loose control of your self in mids of pain"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a seperate mod the ideas are good, but think about it... if you were to implement these, a single round would need to be well over an hour, or the attacking team would rarely win. In effect you are taking alot of the aggressiveness out of the game, which, and I guess thats the point of this mod, would slow the game down to a crawl.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
As a seperate mod the ideas are good, but think about it... if you were to implement these, a single round would need to be well over an hour, or the attacking team would rarely win. In effect you are taking alot of the aggressiveness out of the game, which, and I guess thats the point of this mod, would slow the game down to a crawl.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Exactly :D the game would take its time :)
The battles will be more positional than arcadish.
You will have to gain fire supperiourity to advance or flank.
This can be done with smart usage of support equpiment like MG, arty, and tanks.

The maps can be ballansed to fit the needs of offence & defense.
Simply balanse the sides60/40% or so.
60% attackers, 40% defenders.
OR limit the reinforcements for the defenders as compared to the attackers.
Even limit certain classes so they cannot use the MG class if its taken out 10 times.
The game would be very dynamic, and even work with many objectives at a large map like Orel.
In fact, the gameplay would be very Orel-ish.

In reality a company did not attack unless they would be able to.
1) surprise the enemy and cut down on their troops to match the odds.
2) Overpower the enemy to match up for their superiour positions.

This gamestyle would be the most realistic experience..

Upvote 0
perato said:
You guys are forgetting something. Group spawns after 1/3 team? WTF, enemy has already taken all the objectives. I mean that these existing maps are way too small for these kinds of things. Infantrymap sized like Orel would be great with grouprespawns and other teamwork thingyes.

:) We didnt forget hehe.
There will/should be own maps according with the gameplay.
Maybe some maps can be tweaked to fit the mod's needs.

I think the basic idea is good, its just how you implement it.
1/3 of 16 players means that approx 5 players has to die before they can respawn.
If 2 players die, they must wait for 3 more to die then they respawn in a group.
Compared to one and one entereing the capzone..

Lets say a group of enemy is capping a flag, then one and one player comes to engage them...
Attacks must be coordinated.. one team has to provide suppression fire, one team must try to advance.
Moving without support fire from MG, snipers, tanks or smoke layers should be next to impossible.

This sounds great, I think a more simulation type mod would be an excellent addition. There is also no reason to bash it, because it would be completely optional! On the whole defender and attacker thing, for a mod like this, it might work better if we have maps where both sides sort of run into eachother.

I was hoping for 4 prime gamestyles:

1) Attack vs Defence -
- Attackers has stronger equipment/reinforcements, defender has the advantage of position.
2) Meeting engagement
- Both teams meets and fight over a single objective until reinforcements depletes.
3) Convoy attack/defence -
- One side tries to get to the opposide side of the map, with minimal loss of equipment.
4) Night operations -
- One side must Sneak in and destroy enemy equipment, while the opposition will be caught by surprise, and must regain control. The battle will have many stages, and will last until reinforcements depletes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Teq said:
Ah sounds nice :) :) Im so eager about this, that I cant even sleep :D
Hope for some coder to fall for this so we can get the most adrenalinefilled mod ever made!

I dream of long lasting firefights where you can stay alive as long as you dont do anything heroic and stupid.
You'd have to use the four F's (Find em, fix em, flank em and finish them)

Visulize you encounter suppression fire from an enemy squad and you have to stick close to your men to reduce the blur effect to gain fire superiourity.
Once the enemy is suppressed (they cant aim because of the blur), you can flank them and finish them.

Imagine you are the enemy, pinned down. Bullets slam into your cover imparing your hearing.
Your vision is completely blurred/dark and your hearbeat is totally wild.
Then you hear the heavy breathing of a flanking team comming around you! :D
I'd be scared **** and try to reatreat or scream for backup to reduce the suppression.. :)

And just imagine the suppression effect a tank would have :D You would completely rely on a friendly tank, or a AT-team to release your self from the pin.

"Fear of death is not about dieng quicky, but feeling you loose control of your self in mids of pain"
So, you're telling us you want to make a mod where the player has no control over his actions? Have fun! I can't see anyone wanting to play that game.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
So, you're telling us you want to make a mod where the player has no control over his actions? Have fun! I can't see anyone wanting to play that game.
1) No wrong, read main post
2) I wish for you to stay out of this post. You waste our time.
I will try to have your post removed..

Before you read:
Please submit supportive and constructive ideas only.
If you have an idea please dont waste our time with whining and disrespect.

If we can make a mut/mod, we get to try our needs, while the opposition get their needs = end of unlimited argues and flaming.

3) Ive read thru your post history and you are doing nothing but critizing/condemning peoples ideas.
I hope you can stop this asap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Teq said:
3) Ive read thru your post history and you are doing nothing but critizing/condemning peoples ideas.
I hope you can stop this asap.
You post history shows nothing but criticisms of the game and the 1001 change you want to make to it. According you , everything is wrong with it because it's not realistic enough. Do you complain about the game while you are playing?

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
You post history shows nothing but criticisms of the game and the 1001 change you want to make to it. According you , everything is wrong with it because it's not realistic enough. Do you complain about the game while you are playing?
You are right in a way, cause as I first started to play RO I didnt know much about the engine possibillities, coding and so on.
During the time on the forum I've seen that things take its time and that our ideas needed to be simpler and easier to implement.

ROO basic idea is great, but I expected more compared to what I've seen in other games (24 First person shooters+)

As I follow the discussions on the forums I see that the devs are greatly influenced by the community, thus IF the community wants more arcade... maybe ROO turns into all the other games I've seen...

I think ROO is the best platform to fullfill what I've dreamed about, thats why we start creating a modification
Also not to conflict with those who disagree with our dream.
If you on the other hand can prove that it cannot be done for some reason, well, then we waste our time here.

ANswer to your last statement = rarely.

Lets stop arguing and help eachother out instead. I will remove my offence against you.

Upvote 0
I'd also like "team chat" removed completely from the mod(as an option, not by default).

The only way to chat by text would be all chat, ie, offtopic things or whatever. No team chat at all!

As a soldier you can ONLY use local VOIP. No team-wide VOIP or anything.

Tankers would be able to use local VOIP and tank-wide VOIP(only other tanks will hear this, because they have radios).

For example a turned out commander can yell at infantry below him using local VOIP but to communicate to other tanks he has to use tank-wide VOIP.

Upvote 0