• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thought that came to my mind about current difficulties

kreso5

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Recently I made topic regarding HoE, in which, a bit surprising to me, some of you stated that HoE is easy now.

So after thinking about it, I went to Suicidal. After playing it for a while, I concluded that Suicidal is just easy for me.
Odd, because I see Suicidal as too easy, and HoE as really hard.
So where is the magic? Simple. I'm unable to kill running zeds reliably and quickly. I have theoretical understanding of game for higher difficulties, but I simply lack reflexes and accuracy to shoot quick stuff. And that's why I'm still good medic, because you don't have to aim.
My rough guess is that I hit headshots on Suicidal around 85-95%, while on HoE I do it 50-60% and much slower.

So what's the problem, you might say. Well, thing is this. I'll come here to forums and complain that HoE is too hard as of now because I can't handle pace. While others will say it's easy because they can. So because speed is only relevant change in HoE over Sui, people like me (for which I can't know number) are stuck in weird position, being unable to hit right difficulty.

How to fix it? Well, one idea would be to scale difficulties based more on larger groups, opposed to increasing pace of game, which some might not like. Other one would be to add it as another difficulty after Suicidal that focuses more on hordes.

kreso5;n2277395 said:
Recently I made topic regarding HoE, in which, a bit surprising to me, some of you stated that HoE is easy now.

So after thinking about it, I went to Suicidal. After playing it for a while, I concluded that Suicidal is just easy for me.
Odd, because I see Suicidal as too easy, and HoE as really hard.
So where is the magic? Simple. I'm unable to kill running zeds reliably and quickly. I have theoretical understanding of game for higher difficulties, but I simply lack reflexes and accuracy to shoot quick stuff. And that's why I'm still good medic, because you don't have to aim.
My rough guess is that I hit headshots on Suicidal around 85-95%, while on HoE I do it 50-60% and much slower.

So what's the problem, you might say. Well, thing is this. I'll come here to forums and complain that HoE is too hard as of now because I can't handle pace. While others will say it's easy because they can. So because speed is only relevant change in HoE over Sui, people like me (for which I can't know number) are stuck in weird position, being unable to hit right difficulty.

How to fix it? Well, one idea would be to scale difficulties based more on larger groups, opposed to increasing pace of game, which some might not like. Other one would be to add it as another difficulty after Suicidal that focuses more on hordes.

i honestly think they just need a difficulty between suicidal and HOE.

esepcially seeing as normal is basically a no factor.

hard is good, perfect amount of casual while not becoming boring, and its good to help your friends who may be low level to get exp when they start(again without you being lvl 25 and being bored to death haha)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jorick;n2277398 said:
While the gap between HoE and Suicidal is noticeable, it is not as huge as the gap between hard and suicidal. More difficulties are better since they allow for a gradually increasing challenge.

agree, but hard for everyone to agree on difficulties, would have to be based on statistics, would love to be able to enjoy hard to some extent personally.

the difference between sui and hoe for me is pretty much entirely based on team coordination and priorities, also on sui, but the penalty is different. it matters little how fast something is running as long as it's running to you, if it's not then it probably has to do with bad team placement.

Upvote 0
kreso5;n2277395 said:

Honestly there is nothing to fix. I have/had the same problem that you have. I find the speed of crawlers (+stalkers/gf) esp. a problem to headshot. But the thing is you dont need to hs. You just need to stay alive and let the rest of the team make up for your inability to cope with the speed. Thats what I do. So while I am sympathetic and appreciate that changing the difficulty dynamic would make for a different kind of HoE I would not want to see it changed.

I actually like it and find the test of my skills or challenge worth my time. I would not want to see the difficulty changed by pouring more numbers. At least with not increasing the spawn frequency and number and adding harder zed types. But thats not something I would see happening for years tbh!

TW still need to balance the game alot more at the moment. Demo is OP by bounds, SWAT has too much ammo... while gs has too little. And the FB nears a tweak here and there.

If anything could make it slightly better for you in terms of enjoyment of HoE is to make the spawns less pressured. Atm they seem to be far to concentrated around the group. I do like it and overall it works well but maybe on a few maps and a few locations (mostly well frequented camp spots) I suspect that these are were players are finding problems with the overall speed of the game.

But.... lets not make HoE easier. Lets help each other learn how to compenstate for skills we may not yet have to beat HoE. Thats my reasoning at least!

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2277407 said:
TW still need to balance the game alot more at the moment. Demo is OP by bounds, SWAT has too much ammo... while gs has too little. And the FB nears a tweak here and there

Are we playing the same game? Demo is well within limits, The only ammo problem with SWAT is the cost, GS got a good amount of ammoand Firebug gonna need some fixin'. That's my take on it.

Upvote 0
DreaderVII;n2277408 said:
Are we playing the same game? Demo is well within limits, The only ammo problem with SWAT is the cost, GS got a good amount of ammoand Firebug gonna need some fixin'. That's my take on it.

Demo is indeed borderline OP, not because of the dmg itself, but because he has almost no difficulty curve, you don't have to pay any atention to sirens or anything you shoot for that matter, since you can easily kill all zeds, scrake having exp resistance is a joke because of the RPG.

the zeker ability to survive just by running away is also too strong, he obviously needs some of that, but the amount of mistakes they can affor is huge.

liked the point of view from 2clicks in his last post.

Upvote 0
kreso5;n2277395 said:
So what's the problem, you might say. Well, thing is this. I'll come here to forums and complain that HoE is too hard as of now because I can't handle pace.

KF indeed has been incorporating stats scaling in its frame for perks and Zeds much like a RPG where difficulty levels are clearly defined for players who've progressed and/or developed their character to different stages, and that's pretty much where the whole concept ends in this case as the non-RPG elements that lie within begin.

Down to its core, KF is a shooter game where it offers shooter experience primarily - meaning one's ability to handle themself behind the given reticles and tools (weapons) should matter more than having/earning/farming equivalent stats with it comes to confronting higher difficulty levels that are reflecting greater challenge through quantifiable representatives, such as enemy's speed, health, damage and such.

And this is where I'm starting to getting confused: are you suggesting that you should be able to handle the highest difficulty level that the game is currently offering because you're fully leveled up - or said difficulty level should not be that hard to beat even if your performance got worse when facing those increments?

Either way, since the difficulty proves to be manageable as it has been beaten by many players through teamwork and adequate efforts, I don't find it's too hard in any unreasonable way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
DreaderVII;n2277408 said:

A view you are entitled to. However I would suggest forcing players with this viewpoint to play a sharpie, medic, support (or any other perk xcept demo for that matter) for a hundred games continuous when there are one or two demos that kill-whore the game.

They are well and above anything destructive in the game. Plus a free get out of jail card when they die (or did die.) And as random said - no need to worry about their ammo disappearing! Unlike explosives/nades of other perks! ^^ They need a serious ammo cap. nerf.

No - its a fun perk to play for sure and I highly suspect its like it is purely to keep ppl playing - but I leave games now when I see a demo present. Ive even seen a few games where demos are kicked.

But seeing as Im not a developer or a designer I cant see it happening for a quite a while yet. So Ill just play the few games I can be bothered to until they do do something! :)

Upvote 0
NokiaSE;n2277429 said:
And this is where I'm starting to getting confused: are you suggesting that you should be able to handle the highest difficulty level that the game is currently offering because you're fully leveled up - or said difficulty level should not be that hard to beat even if your performance got worse when facing those increments?

Either way, since the difficulty proves to be manageable as it has been beaten by many players through teamwork and adequate efforts, I don't find it's too hard in any unreasonable way.

Well, no, that's why I was more leaning towards alternative/difficulty between Suicidal and HoE.

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2277445 said:
No - its a fun perk to play for sure and I highly suspect its like it is purely to keep ppl playing - but I leave games now when I see a demo present. Ive even seen a few games where demos are kicked.

But seeing as Im not a developer or a designer I cant see it happening for a quite a while yet. So Ill just play the few games I can be bothered to until they do do something! :)

Also thing to keep in mind, game needs 'OP' perk which is much easier to play for new/not as talented to be interested to continue going.
But sure, ammo cap would certainly make it less spammy.

Upvote 0
I agree I think with Demo being a tad OP in ways. THe best and most rewarding thing about being Demo i think is having to shoot and play smarter, hit good clusters of enemies, hit the right ones, know when to wait, when to engage. I haven't played much since ammo buff, but wow you can just skyrocket to the top of kill board with barely a care in the world. As I've been playing with SWAT lately, you decap some things in a quick burst, then rocket just goes and blows them all up anyway, its just not conducive to good team play as why should they hold off as ammo is so damn plentiful, that's the big issue for Demo that I can see.

HoE can be frustrating with the speed in which the zeds move, i can see why people get annoyed because they almost run SO fast its comical. It's like every clot is Usain Bolt suddenly. But I agree with the others in that HoE SHOULD be hard to beat, thast the whole point, I still find a challenge in suicidal, if I have a full squad of good mates its a lot easier, but hard and normal are such a cakewalk its a joke IMO. Even with level 0 perks (few left now) I play Suicidal, nothing quite like getting a full squad of like minded team players though to beat a crazy hard game. I don't think that HoE is easy though, maybe I'm not pro enough to think like that :p

Upvote 0