• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This Is Sick!

Anyhow some admins really seem to do all they can to make BAD situation with servers and players even WORSE.

- Using the terrible "black death" mod - when I see one I just leave. This is a friggen GAME and I want to have some fun not to stare into damn BLACK SCREEN because I died. Is this, somehow, more realistic? Then why do I respawn at all? Why am I in my warm office instead of freezing to death in Stalingrad? This mod is insane, as is anyone using it.

While I dont really like this either, some do or else it would not have been made and put onto that server. Also the server admin and often the clan are putting up the money for that server to give you a place to play. If you want a server run a certain way then you need to get rent your own. If someone wanted to run a server with a black death mututor then they can go rent a server and run it, or you can run it without that if you prefer. You just have to remember that just because you think something is dumb doesnt mean everyone will agree with you and it doesnt mean that it isnt fun to a larger group of people. I mean when I'm dead I dont watch the screen anyway, you respawn so quickly that it really doesnt matter

- No death messages on server - again same logic, or the lack thereof. Some people seem bent on destroying every little bit of fun this game has.
Ok this we do run on our server and its the same as above. If people didnt like it we wouldnt run it. Within 2 hours of turning the server on with no death messages I personally got 4 or 5 people telling me how much they liked that they were off and how they were so happy to finally have found a server not running them. Just remember that your opinion doesnt speak for everyone, people arent all going to find the same things fun.

- Servers playing same map over and over and over and OVER, because they are set to play the map until some ridicolous number of rounds is won, say 3 or anything above 3. There are servers using rules "3 victories or 5 games played" which, practically, means unwnnable maps like Barashka play 5 times in a row, lasting around hour and a half (sick).
Well again, they pay for the server so they can do what they want, dont like it. there are other servers out there. And if only like 90 are showing up in your list then something is messed up in your game. Or you can again rent your own server and run it the way you want. I dont agree with running maps that much, we run it best of 3 and I find thats even long but its all up to your personal taste. Have you tried going to that clans forums and suggesting they lower the win and round limit to make the game more playable.

- Servers using time limit to skip to the next map, so that the game is cut in the middle of very interesting fight on some nice map just because time run out WTF?? :confused:
This is just because the cfg setup is a little confusing, most people will assume that timelimit = 0 is refering to the round time but in this game it refers to the overall time a map is played regaurdless of rounds played. I dont think anyone means to do this on purpose but again did you go and inform the admins of this problem so that thye can correct it?

- Servers using voting and ton of tank n00bs voting for damn Arad, map that is not as bad as Barashka, but that we all played more than any other map there is - OK this is not admin's fault to be honest.
ya again we dont use voting, not fun only playing 3 maps but voting was something very common in the mod and it seems like some servers have just carried that over.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Yes because I fail to see the point :p
The point is simple, it is there to stop you from looking at the game while you are dead, so you cant spot the sniper that killed you or see him move to a new location just so you can nade him upon respawn.
The point is that when you respawn you are in fact playing as another soldier and should not have knowledge gained from a dead soldiers eyes.

Once again, I have never seen less than 1000 players online.
I think your filters are bugging your play.
And in regards to thinking that one server is bad because it does not fit your taste, well, thats the beauty of variety for you.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Yes because I fail to see the point :p

I agree with you on the black screen after death. That is annoying as hell, especially when your team runs out of reinforcements. For clan matches, yes, it should be used. But for pubs? Hell, no.

But no death messages is awesome. So much more immersive. And that is what the point is. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to say it universally sucks and everyone except immature idiots should agree with you.

Upvote 0
WWIIOL dosen't tell you when you kill people (until you die or spawn out) and it used to have the instant black screen death. (it still fades to black but its a very very short period where you have a black screen) In WWIIOL I don't mind either of those but here I find them a bit annoying when used. I think its because this game, having regular sized maps etc - the pace of the killing is so much faster and the length of your own life is so much shorter than in a wide open MMO type enviornment - so with so much constant killing going on it seems a bit silly to not be able to know when you killed someone without pressing f1.

On the other hand, I can see why some would want to use them. I think perhaps for me, one game I play regularly with those features is enough lol. :)

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
I absolutely agree with Droog the original poster - although I think he confused game's feature (spawn protection) for server side option :)

Anyhow some admins really seem to do all they can to make BAD situation with servers and players even WORSE.

- Using the terrible "black death" mod - when I see one I just leave. This is a friggen GAME and I want to have some fun not to stare into damn BLACK SCREEN because I died. Is this, somehow, more realistic? Then why do I respawn at all? Why am I in my warm office instead of freezing to death in Stalingrad? This mod is insane, as is anyone using it.

- No death messages on server - again same logic, or the lack thereof. Some people seem bent on destroying every little bit of fun this game has.

- Servers playing same map over and over and over and OVER, because they are set to play the map until some ridicolous number of rounds is won, say 3 or anything above 3. There are servers using rules "3 victories or 5 games played" which, practically, means unwnnable maps like Barashka play 5 times in a row, lasting around hour and a half (sick).

- Servers using time limit to skip to the next map, so that the game is cut in the middle of very interesting fight on some nice map just because time run out WTF?? :confused:

- Servers using voting and ton of tank n00bs voting for damn Arad, map that is not as bad as Barashka, but that we all played more than any other map there is - OK this is not admin's fault to be honest.

Given the lack of populated servers in general, this makes bad things even worse.

I agree with you about map voting arad and servers using timelimit but I do like the blackscreen I hate people finding out where i am after there dead.

Upvote 0
My 2 Cents:

Spawn protection is very good and needed.

That being said, I don't understand why the mappers have resorted to unmarked mine fields to narrow their maps and totally f-up decent flanking possibilities. It handicaps tactical fighting and forces more frustrating funneling experiences.

Blank Screen of Death, personally I'd just like a spawn area screen or something so it ain't so boring but I understand the tactical issues behind it and I applaud that.

Death Messages removed from the screen adds to the immersion and creates a more pensive playing style. If you are unsure of those kills then you are going to be less likely to move off than with death messages. I'm all for it.

Some of the maps in this release do need some more tweeking. There are maps that are totally owned by the objective defenders like Kaukasus for the Reds and Odessa for the Germans. If you have 2 good teams on those maps then it is a given that the attackers will ultimately fail. When you play as the attackers on those maps one after the other for 2 rounds each, you become very frustrated :)
Still I played the Reich map as an attacker the other night and we won which was the first time I'd seen the reds do that. Took good co-ordination but VOIP was not required just your standard menu commands.

Talking of which, unless in a tank and only restricted to that tank or from commander to commander in german tanks, VOIP should be banned. Totally ruins the atmosphere to hear people blathering on their mics.

2 Cents out. :)

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Removing death messages just makes things more annoying, because you can easily check if you killed someone, it just requires more work (F1) and can be said to ruin the imersion even more (hitting F1 is not something WW2 soldiers did on the battlefield).

yeah, they got to fix this too. I'd like it a lot more with no individual scores.(or atleast have the individual scores show up at the end of the round only).

no death messages, no scoreboard. just me, my gun, and my team fighting for victory. :D

Upvote 0
Running such plugins as black screen and no death messages as of today is silly because THE GAME IS NOT POPULAR. Any modification to a game stems from the fact that people get bored with vanilla version and want more diversity. But hey, a small reality check, it's Friday night and maybe about 5 servers are full (30-32 players).

Black screen to prevent victims from scouting the map? Hey, admins, in any game out there, who likes a camping sniper on a pub??? A PUB???

No death messages? In what mysterious ways does it add to "realism"? I can always hit F1. Is for instance, paintball less realistic than some computer simulation? Anybody here ever played paintball? "Hey man I'm not leaving the field hands up, I'M NOT TELLING YOU if you hit me or not, it will add up to the realism":)

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Running such plugins as black screen and no death messages as of today is silly because THE GAME IS NOT POPULAR. Any modification to a game stems from the fact that people get bored with vanilla version and want more diversity. But hey, a small reality check, it's Friday night and maybe about 5 servers are full (30-32 players).

Absolutely TRUE. Servers admins should be more "n00b friendly" at least until we have like 3000 players in GS stats, then adding diversity will be wellcome. Now it's just annoying, and makes already niche game even more niche. Once this game player base expands (hopefully that WILL happen) you can run 24/7 Barashka only, no DMs, black screen servers for all I care LOL :D (I just shudder at the thought of any such server :cool: )

Upvote 0
Droog said:
No death messages? In what mysterious ways does it add to "realism"? I can always hit F1. Is for instance, paintball less realistic than some computer simulation? Anybody here ever played paintball? "Hey man I'm not leaving the field hands up, I'M NOT TELLING YOU if you hit me or not, it will add up to the realism":)
AFAIK, RO is not a paintball simulator :p I hardly think that the MG firing at an enemy force hiding in the bushes had a magical fairy that painted messages on his eyes :p Or that the soldiers that was in the room someone just tossed a grenade into yelled "you there, you killed three of us, welcome inside, everyone's dead".
As for a nice detail when it comes to the scoreboard, AFAIK there's a small delay (1-2 seconds) until kills show up on the scoreboard. And watching the scoreboard all the time is a good way to get killed :)

Upvote 0