• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

There as to be a FAIR way!

Oh look a white knight that doesn't take it's commission well sorry if I don't give a hoot, you are probably the kind of guy I would kick out of marksmen because of incompetence.

Just common courtesy, which this post of yours makes abundantly clear that you are lacking.

Just because the game allows you to do it, doesn't mean you HAVE to. I mean, if your state made it legal to go around poking toddlers in the eye, you'd do it and fall back on the argument that it's not illegal?

Upvote 0
Just common courtesy, which this post of yours makes abundantly clear that you are lacking.

Just because the game allows you to do it, doesn't mean you HAVE to. I mean, if your state made it legal to go around poking toddlers in the eye, you'd do it and fall back on the argument that it's not illegal?

I've met a ton of people who readily admit that religion/laws are the only things keeping them from arson, murder, and general pillaging. It's @!#!% scary.

Upvote 0
+whatever on the SSD. The only thing I have on it is windows and RO2, and its on SATA III with a 6GB/S transfer rate and im usually one of the first in. When loading your internet connection is a factor, but your acutall load times are heavily dependant on your rig. The guy that gets in first has the fastest rig with the best ping.

Best choice I ever made when I built my new pc 2 weeks ago was having a SSD.

Why did I buy one?

I got tired of experiencing the same thing the OP experiences. Up untill 2 weeks ago I was on a rig that I built in 2001! I said the hell with waiting and dealing with class/team snipers and went all out and built a high end PC.

Serriously man, I see what youre saying & understand where youre coming from but you cant complain and make everybody else around you suffer too. Thats like pulling up to a stop light in your AMC gremlin next to a ferrari, light turns green and hes GONE already at the destination way before you and you sit there and say "OMG THATS NOT FAIR!!!!!! THEY NEED TO HOLD HIM BACK 15 SECONDS SO IT CAN BE EQUAL" If you want a fair shot, shell out the cash for a fast rig or suck it up and deal with it.

Even if you did have a 15 second wait for everybody to load in before choosing team...that wouldnt work. youd have 60 people GOING MAD trying to click sh!t all at once. :rolleyes:

The only servers I play on are the ones that are LOCAL to me so I can get the best ping possible. I add every single server nearby to me into my favorites and pick and choose in my favorites broser to connect to a game so I have the best possible ping. If youre doing that and still getting a bad ping, I would suggest you call your ISP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckless
Upvote 0
Why is it that the game rewards those with the fastest connections by letting them get connected to the server first, then have their pick of teams (always German), then their pick of the class slots (always assault & elite rifleman). The guys with slower connections -- yes, like me -- finally get connected and have their choice of Russian or Russian, bolt action or bolt action. Stay on the server and unless someone on the german side decides to switch for some reason, this will go on game after game, the same guys hogging everything desireable.

I feel your pain. Here is what I do in such a situation. I simply think of myself as a new replacement in an existing veteran squad. Such guys wouldn't be given any kind of special weapon until they could be trusted with it. This adds to the immersion, and leads me to my next plan.

If I want to have an MG for some reason (I usually don't care, but say I do) I will follow the squad machine gunner around. When he dies, I grab his gun. Now I have the gun, plus I got it in a semi-realistic way, and I can play with it for awhile. If I die, then I start again, thinking I'm a new replacement, rather than an old hand returning.

If you do that for awhile and you're good enough with the gun, either your squad will want you to have the gun, or more likely, you'll be carrying a second gun for much of the time, increasing the squad's firepower. Not totally realistic, but it's close enough so that it doesn't really spoil the immersion, and yet helps me to approach the way I play the game differently.

I'll be less concerned with killing people than with staying alive and close to the gunner. I do my best to keep him alive, but I do not think of myself as separate to him. If he is getting kills and not dying, then I'm doing my job properly and it doesn't matter if I am killing people or even scoring points.

If he dies, and I DON'T grab the gun, then I have let my squad down. That was ALL I was meant to be doing - making sure the gun kept firing - so I have failed at my job. In other words, I'm not going to wait for the game to suit me, I will simply think about it in a different way so that I can still have fun within the limitations of the game.

WTH doesn't the game provide a 10-15 second period from the time the first connection is made, THEN have a countdown to give everyone a somewhat fairer chance of getting the team and class they want? Why do the same guys with 10 million megabaud connections always get the Mkb42's, the sniper slots, and the marksman slots? I have not had one single opportunity since release to take sniper. I mean, all things being equal, odds are odds. Clearly there is an element of unfairness in the mechanics of team and class selection.

One thing FPS games, especially the ones that are realistic and tactical, are missing is the part of any operation where the squad stops and is told what they are to do, how they are to do it, where they will do it, who they will do it with and when they will do it. Here you join a squad and select your role without any discussion (most of the time) and then when the round starts you don;t really have time to sit around planning. You have a set time frame to work in so you better make use of every second. What is needed is a short period before the round starts where the people in a squad have time to quickly talk things over, knowing the game hasn't yet started and they are not being out-manoeuvred by an enemy who didn't pause to think things through first.

It wouldn't be a team briefing, as such. That is what the game gives us when it tells us what the objectives are and so on. What is missing is the part where the squad leader stops and tells the rest of the squad what he wants them to do so the squad can accomplish it's part of the overall plan.

It would be nice if the round would start with everyone spawned near their squad leader, but the role not yet selected. You're not actively playing, it simply a chance for the squad to quickly decide who will do what and what they will do. Then a role selection phase begins, and THEN the round starts.

These are the kinds of things that can't be patched in though.

The point is, once the round starts, you should be thinking of yourself as a replacement when you spawn, so you wouldn't have the special weapon anyway. You would be given it when you reach your squad, or you would use the rifle until you proved to be better at it than the current person using it.

So if you want a special, you should have to prove yourself before you get it, and you would do that by picking it up during play, and doing better with it than the guy who spawns with it. If the guy is not performing as well with the same weapon when he is being issued with it and even though you have to pick it up, you should be issued with it and HE should have to pick it up.

The game does have a way of doing that, it just seems to not be consistent enough or often enough for it to do what you are wanting. If they made it a little more sensitive so that it gave battlefield promotions more often, it should do the trick.

-

In the future, if RO had a system where the players selected a squad (so they could play with friends) then the Commander assigned a squad leader, who would then assign roles to the players, then a greedy person would be less likely to dominate a role unfairly. If the squad leader won't give you a chance with the weapon, then it's because the guy is a friend of his, or because he doesn't think you will do as good with it.

But I also think special weapons like the MG shouldn't be spawned with a player. Everyone should spawn with a rifle and acquire a special during play. There might be a squad armoury and it has a set number of special weapons that it can issue. One MG per squad, for example. When a squad gunner dies, if his weapon is still in play because someone picked it up, then it stays in play, and no more can be issued to that squad. They lost the gun, so they have to get it back or go without.

If the weapon isn't picked up, then it is destroyed and the armoury resets. You can no go to the armoury and be issued another MG. There is never more than ONE mg per squad on the battlefield. If you lose it and the other team gets it, if they can hold it, you are down one gun for your team, and they are UP one. Also, because the gunner won't respawn with the gun if it's just lying on the battlefield, you HAVE to recover the gun, if only to prevent the enemy from getting it and adding to their overall firepower.

That would help prevent the greedy people from hogging the specials AND ad an extra layer of realism and immersion to the game. Maybe RO3 could have it, but you won't really be able to put it into RO2, probably. It's a fundamentally different way of approaching respawns and roles.

There are more reasons than this to do it this way, IMHO. For example, a problem at the moment is squad leaders are forgetting what they are supposed to be doing. They think of themselves as an extra assault troop, rather than as the command and control structure of the squad, so they forget to coordinate with the commander and often ignore him and their squad altogether. When that happens the human Commander should have the option to demote you. He should be able to reassign you to rifleman and give the squad leader role to someone else. Likewise, the squad leader should be able to demote anyone within the squad. If the gunner is mucking around and not doing his job, fire him and give the gun to someone else.

The game is never going to be intelligent enough to make decisions such as whether one guy is trying hard enough or at all. So we need the human command structure to have the same power they have in the real world to promote for good service, and demote for bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0