• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the stug machine gun

kabex said:
The other day I saw a Leopard 2(I think) with skirts on some website. :D

To protect the tracks(not real skirts but track skirts nonetheless), it was not an official model AFAIK but a modified one for a specific nations military.

Well, the M1Abrams has armored plates that hang from the superstructure to protect the tracks/suspension.

But those "Skirts" aren't exactly the same thing as the "Skirts" that the Germans put on the ENTIRE side of their tank AND surrounded the turret with.

Semantics are fun.

PS - I visited Mexico City about a month ago. Wow there are some hot chicks there!

Upvote 0
For the love of God don't use Tarrif.net as your source of WWII vehicle info. Tarrif was an old WWIIOL player and one of the most vocal Germanophiles there. His website contains a LOT of glaring errors, and should be used for entertainment purposes only.

I have all my sources listed, and all my research is top notch. There are errors of course, no good researcher would be so close minded to think there weren't. Still though, I accept your jealousy as a compliment for all the hard work I've done over the last 5 years to keep my website balanced and honest. Best wishes. - Tarrif

Upvote 0
OT but I feel it needs to be said:

To all people griping about the pro soviet bias i bring: The STG44. The past 5 games I've played on Danzig have ended with 3 german assault guys on top of the scoreboard, all wielding this beast of an assaultrifle (I know it's really an SMG, but it performs more along the line of an assaultrifle ingame). What is the russian counter? Nothing really. A better spray and pray ratio close up, but then again the STG hurts more once it hits the target.

I usually go german on Arad because I like those tanks more. The greatest problem for Jerry on that map is not that the soviets have better tanks, but that too many german players stay in spawn to oMg pWnZ0r the attacking soviet tanks. So grab a pzIV and back your fellow tiger up. He'll be a bullet magnet compared to you ;) Move, flank and watch your sides.

Edit: But yeah, a cupola mounted MG for the STUG would be nice, but as someone pointed out the SU has none either so it works balance vise.

Upvote 0
To all people griping about the pro soviet bias i bring: The STG44. The past 5 games I've played on Danzig have ended with 3 german assault guys on top of the scoreboard, all wielding this beast of an assaultrifle (I know it's really an SMG, but it performs more along the line of an assaultrifle ingame).
It IS an assault rifle, it was the first ever assault rifle.

A version of the Stug with an MG would be nice, i'd love to see Cupola MG's for the tanks, that'd be awesome +1.

Upvote 0
The Tiger was the match for the T-34/76, it just happened to overmatch it :p

Tiger was not produced as a match for the T-34, only about 1500 Tigers were produced in the whole war! Compare this to about 58,000 T-34's produced and the Tiger doesn't even come close to matching or overmatching the T-34.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't believe some of you guys ranting about how the Panther is a match for the T34/85!!! You're saying how unfair Arad is now for the Germans, well with nothing but Panthers against T34/85's it is just turning the situation on it's head. In game you cannot get a frontal penetration on a Panther with the T34/85 at any range. Just look at the 181blahblahblah version of Arad, the Ruskies get T34/85's and the Germans get all Panthers and it is a total slaughter for the Red's.

But of course that's what you guys really want, you don't want a semblance of balance you want the Germans to dominate the map so after the Russians run out of reinforcements you can all park your Panthers in a group and circle jerk over how awesome your German might is.

Arad has always been winnable by both sides, from version 1.0 to whatever we're at now, let's keep it this way.

Tiger was not produced as a match for the T-34, only about 1500 Tigers were produced in the whole war! Compare this to about 58,000 T-34's produced and the Tiger doesn't even come close to matching or overmatching the T-34.
True, it also doesn't match the T34 in things like reliability, speed, range and type of terrain it can traverse. In a real war these things can be just as important as firepower.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, let me see if I can sum up the argument so far...

Side 1: "No fair!! The Germans always get shafted!!!"

Side 2: "No fair!! The Russians always get shafted!!!"

Maybe the TRUTH of the matter is that NEITHER side gets shafted, and that BOTH sides have advantages and disadvantages, many of which depend on the map, engagement ranges, and the respective strengths and weaknesses of the various equipment.

For example, for those who are kvetching about how "Germans get pwned on Arad", bear in mind that Arad is essentially a "close quarters" tank map. Engagement range is, on average, about 500m -- close enough for BOTH sides to penetrate each others' armor with relative ease and CERTAINLY not long enough range for the German armor to capitalize on some of its major advantages (IE: long-range penetration, a.k.a. "powerful" guns, and precise optics).

For those who are complaining that the Stug is too weak, consider the soviet equivalent -- the SU-76. I think most people know the weaknesses of the SU-76, so I won't belabor the point.

For those who want an MG added to various vehicles, bear in mind that we don't have a lot of the MGs available because NO AFVs in the game have the AA MG mounted. None of the soviet AFVs, none of the German AFVs. Nobody's got 'em.

The game is balanced enough, and every variation of each side's armor is simply not going to be created by Tripwire staff. Get over that fact and get on with your lives. If the lack of these various vehicles is so offensive to your sensibilities, by all means, get out there and start making your own models, skins, and code to rectify the situation. We've already got mod teams putting together entirely new AFVs (IE: Mare Nostrum, Berezina's BT-7 prototype), so it's certainly possible.

There are FAR more pressing issues to address with respect to armored combat than adding yet another German variant, adding MGs to the cupolas of the various vehicles that had them, and adding this or that weapon or whatever.

I'd rather Tripwire focus its art department on creating new maps that allow for a wider range of gameplay, or add new models that expand the feel of gaming (IE: early war AFVs) rather than simply tread over the same well-established ground. That's not to say there shouldn't be minor tweaks and bugfixes, but honestly, so many of the requests people make just don't seem to be anything that'd really add all THAT much to gameplay or expand our experience as players in any really significant fashion.

Upvote 0
For example, for those who are kvetching about how "Germans get pwned on Arad", bear in mind that Arad is essentially a "close quarters" tank map. Engagement range is, on average, about 500m -- close enough for BOTH sides to penetrate each others' armor with relative ease and CERTAINLY not long enough range for the German armor to capitalize on some of its major advantages (IE: long-range penetration, a.k.a. "powerful" guns, and precise optics).
Playing Barsahka the other night, and a guy was saying that the Tiger's front armour was being penertrated by a T-34 at 1000m.
Problem is, you can't see 1000m on Barsahka. You can bearly see 400m.:p

Upvote 0
Well, a lot of folks have zero sense of range in this game, and regularly overestimate distance. The only 1000m visibility maps I know are portions of Black Day in July, and Orel/88v76. Arad's longest shot I think is MAYBE 800m but definitely doesn't go over 1000m and that's only when shooting from one specific spawn to the other. For the most part, Arad's all 500-600m engagements, so it's pretty much an exercise in hammers & eggshells.

Upvote 0
I have all my sources listed, and all my research is top notch. There are errors of course, no good researcher would be so close minded to think there weren't. Still though, I accept your jealousy as a compliment for all the hard work I've done over the last 5 years to keep my website balanced and honest. Best wishes. - Tarrif

LOL... Sigh.

Sorry bud, but while you're website is nice looking, there ARE problems on it. Not that every site is perfect. But we have enough history together that you'll know where I get my "issues" with it. It's not jealousy. I just know that your a Germanophile and that has its concequences.

PS- are you playing RO or did you just google your name and find the post?

Upvote 0
I forgot to make any point with that post. I would love to see the fire effect used in armor combat for that game rolled into Red Orchestra. It also incorporated the actual vehicle capabilities, projectile capabilities, armor quality, crew quality and probabilities for success. Pretty slick. Put these two games together and I'm never leaving the house. The Stug was amazingly effective in armor vs. armor and armor vs. infantry.

Upvote 0