• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Steam Community

many people on steam forums complain about privacy of this system, I am also not very comfortable with fact that all can see what games I have, how long I play, who are in my friend list etc. It is nothing "top secret" but still I think it is not OK that we do not have possibility to hide these informations if we do not want to share it for any reason.

Upvote 0
many people on steam forums complain about privacy of this system, I am also not very comfortable with fact that all can see what games I have, how long I play, who are in my friend list etc. It is nothing "top secret" but still I think it is not OK that we do not have possibility to hide these informations if we do not want to share it for any reason.

You can set your profile as "private". Private profiles cannot be seen by others.

Upvote 0
Xfire ... I don't think these "steam friends" and so on are necessary. Xfire exist a lot of time before this sh*t given out. This is just an another way to decrease the FPS and eat more memory...Valve gave out again a ****
Sorry, but what the hell are you talking about?

You'd rather use a third party program instead of something integrated into a program you're already using? You complain about some apparent memory eating in Steam because a whopping ~9MB of memory it's using with a chat window open is excessive? Fine, your decision. I personally think that using Xfire is rather absurd now given the functionality of this community system.

Stop over reacting.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but what the hell are you talking about?

You'd rather use a third party program instead of something integrated into a program you're already using? You complain about some apparent memory eating in Steam because a whopping ~9MB of memory it's using with a chat window open is excessive? Fine, your decision. I personally think that using Xfire is rather absurd now given the functionality of this community system.

Stop over reacting.

Actually some people have problems with this new community and ingame chat thing, they say it lags really bad(even 50% fps reduce) and gets really unplayable. Xfire runs much smoother than this does, even for me, so having option to turn off the new Steam function would be a welcome chance.

Upvote 0
Well, given that Steam runs in the background anyway - I don't see how it's a wastage of memory. Haven't experienced any FPS loss and I've never used Xfire. So this new functionality is welcome for me.

Especially that now it's way quicker to Shift+Tab and access the chat than it was with Alt+Tab.

Plus, I get to see that my addiction could be worse than it is now.

Upvote 0
Actually some people have problems with this new community and ingame chat thing, they say it lags really bad(even 50% fps reduce) and gets really unplayable. Xfire runs much smoother than this does, even for me, so having option to turn off the new Steam function would be a welcome chance.
You have the option to use it or not. It's only been mentioned in this thread once, but go into your Steam settings > Friends > uncheck boxes; in-game tab > uncheck enable in-game

And some people, ok. But that's not everyone. And those with issues are urged to report issues. Testing can only go so far when not every hardware combo can be tested, especially for a first release. For others, a good number of people, no issues have cropped up that need major attention in the non-beta release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still grumbly having to even run something like STEAM in order to play my games, not to mention this community thing. The idea of having to log into some other system just to play a game, no matter how you spin it, is something I'll never agree with. It's like having to make a phone call to the publishing company everytime you wanna pick up and read a book.. and then stay on the line with them until you're finished reading. It's a real shame my favorite game had to go this route in order to be realized.. I'm too into the game to make a personal stand against it. I wish these publishers would concentrate on good games instead of this bloated peripheral slop they think we want. I dont want any other programs running while I game! Stop forcing me to run other things just to play a game! It'll never happen - this 'business model' (and thats what it is) wont go away, unfortunately. Now that TWI are successful, maybe they'll find a different way to publish thier next title.. ya right ;)

oh, btw - I was able to change the community hotkey to 'none'. I was thinking of some key combo that I would never press all at the same time, so I pressed the number '1', comma and the minus symbol on the keypad at the same time.. my screen blipped for a second and then the field changed to 'none'. Ha take that! Piece o' Junk software.

Does anyone know if you can remove the files associated with this thing without any problems? I just want to remove it completely :rolleyes:

Upvote 0