• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The sounds of Killing Floor (the new guns especially)

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Now one thing we've always liked about the old KF guns is how great they are to use in a game. They're loud, punchy, and when I'm using a HC, the bassy boom makes the glass of water on my desk shimmer ever so slightly, as if a T. Rex is walking around my garden outside. The bolt action rifles in Red Orchestra: Ostfront are similar.

Great stuff.

KF's retail box says "stellar gunplay hits the spot" for a reason, yanno.

But the new guns? ...eh. If they were in any other FPS, sure, great sounds. But not in KF, they sound so damn weak. The MK23 pistol sounds like a fart in comparision to the 9mm pistol, and the M99 is a bit of a letdown what with being the biggest rifle in the game and sounding like... about the same size as the LAR.

I've been of the opinion that the MK23 needs to be amped up a great deal to match the other handguns, and the M99 needs to be loud enough that a deaf monkey could easily hear it. It makes sense really, and fits alongside every other gun in the game. The FAL hits the spot though IMO.

It's a matter of volume, really.

There's also another issue about the MP5 smg and the M4 rifles sounding rather... wierd. When someone fires them in full-auto and then stops, the sound sounds horribily cut off, like an abrupt stop, that's not right. Where's the echoey bit that every KF gun has? Plus, they always seem to let off 2 rounds per click which is pretty wierd also. But that last bit isn't totally about sound so meh.

What does everyone else have to say about the sound work in KF?

Reactions: Spicy
Best weapon sound for me in the game is the SCAR, it's just a beautiful sound either semi auto or full, I love it! :D

I've not used the new weapons that much to give an accurate description to be honest, I was in a game earlier and a sharp was using the M99 but I couldn't hear it above my AK and he was standing approx 20m behind me.

Of the weapons I have used the new shotgun (HSG-1) does sound really good, nice and beefy.

Upvote 0
I disagree on the MK23. .45acp isn't super loud compared to 9mm, despite being bigger, due to the pressures involved. It's about the same, but more thumpy instead of a sharp sound, and I think the sound ingame reflects that well enough, though with exaggerated distinction, which I think is also okay.

But I agree that the M99 is way too quiet.

And, yes, the looping full auto problem really messes up the M4. If it's on full auto and you try to fire one round, it doesn't play a round fired sound, it just plays the "trail off" sound for after having fired. This is especially bad on the M4203, because there's no semi auto option for when you're intending on single shots.
It also messes up the FAL and MP5 sound if you fire single shots in full auto.
The Mac10 does this too, actually, but since it's suppressed, the trail off sound and fire sounds aren't distinguishable enough for this to be a problem. I actually never noticed it until I looked for it just now.
The MP7 is near impossible to fire a single round with anyways, so it doesn't matter so much.

The two rounds instantly fired bug only happens on single player, and happens with all looping sound weapons: M4, m4203, fnfal, mp5, mp7, and mac10. If you tap instead of hold the trigger, you can actually dump the mag up to almost twice as fast, if you've got a quick enough finger for that.
Edit: Actually I just played online and the FN FAL was doing the two rounds instantly fired bug. That's no good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not too fond of the KSG's sound when firing though the reload sound is nice.

Also the M99 needs more "oomph", but it sounds fantastic otherwise.

The M7A3 literally sounds like, "pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew." I thought that could be worked on to sound less "pewpew".

I didn't have a problem with the FAL or the MK23.

Upvote 0
Please visit a real firing range and you might actualy change your mind.

The new guns sound perfectly fine, this isn't call of duty. It's actualy Killing Floor.

Guns aren't as loud as you think.

If you HAVE fired or even been at a firing range i have absolutely no idea what you're complaining about in this thread. These sounds fit very well in with the others.

Just because your subwoofer disagrees doesn't mean TWI should fix them? Weapons cannot sound "weak". I think you don't know what the defenition of sound is to begin with.

I have a sorround sound system mind you, and these new guns sound unbelivably good.

Upvote 0
Please visit a real firing range and you might actualy change your mind.

The new guns sound perfectly fine, this isn't call of duty. It's actualy Killing Floor.

If you HAVE fired or even been at a firing range i have absolutely no idea what you're complaining about in this thread. These sounds fit very well in with the others.

Just because your subwoofer disagrees doesn't mean TWI should fix them? Weapons cannot sound "weak". I think you don't know what the defenition of sound is to begin with.

I have a sorround sound system mind you, and these new guns sound unbelivably good.

I used to regularly go to a range for a couple of years, yes. Got a couple of shotguns, too.

What I'm saying is that to me, these gun sounds don't stand out amongst other game sounds as much as they probably should when used by a player. Maybe I've been playing too much ROOST? I don't know.

But besides, I didn't realise that KF was striving for realism. The game is loaded with silly over-the-top action, what's bad about filling a few gaps in that? The sounds are fine, it's the levels I'm thinking about.

Also play Call of Duty (**** game, I know) you'd notice that the gun sounds are pretty damned weak.

Upvote 0
With hearing protection, and usually the convention that's followed for video games, movies, and so forth, is that guns sound as they do for someone without hearing protection, which is very loud. Can't say I've heard a .50bmg with a muzzle brake, but I'm sure it's a lot louder than my 30-06 with no muzzle device, which is already plenty loud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With hearing protection, and usually the convention that's followed for video games, movies, and so forth, is that guns sound as they do for someone without hearing protection, which is very loud. Can't say I've heard a .50bmg with a muzzle brake, but I'm sure it's a lot louder than my 30-06 with no muzzle device, which is already plenty loud.

I mean that they are not loud as in "OH **** THIS IS A GUN IT WILL ALERT EVERYTHING WITHIN A MILLION MILES". That type of design is what most games tend to strive for.

Guns DONT sound very loud at all, i've shot plenty on firing ranges.

NATO rounded, 9x18, 9mm and all around general ammounition. But they are never very loud.

Of course guns are loud, but still not as loud as most games predict them. It's true from personal experience.

Upvote 0
Very well, I can respect your experience, but I can also personally attest that by my perception, each and every one of these* were louder than video games I've played indicated that those or similar would be.
* except the telephone. Cry of Fear had a telephone about a million times louder if I'm remembering correctly. :p

Upvote 0