• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Role of Snipers... In Stalingrad.

Also, trenches are gone, so far less static targets to plink away at with your rangefinder, spotter, sniper system, etc.

Trenches might be gone but digging in is still pretty standard procedure for infantry to do and to be taught in basic training, despite the fact it's 'obsolete' if you really twist the scenes behind it.

Upvote 0
Believe it or not, in World War II, displacing machine gun nests was important.

Snipers are less important now because the modern army is more mobile as a result of being outfitted almost entirely with assault rifles. Also, trenches are gone, so far less static targets to plink away at with your rangefinder, spotter, sniper system, etc.

Snipers aren't all that much use in urban combat, either, due to the fact that their combat effectiveness versus other infantry types is maximized over 500m, which is difficult to obtain in a modern urban jungle. At the very least even if you obtain those distances the tunnel vision would kill you and open you up to serious flank maneuvers within a short amount of time.

But in my view it's unquestionable the designated marksman still has significant value. If you will, in the urban environment the role of sniper is more suitably adapted to with the designated marksman position.
You are saying yourself the sniper takes up a supportive role here. And yes, it can have significant value in certain situations, but not in total.

The game should not revolve around the sniper-role. A thing in which Red Orchestra was a unintended consequence.

Upvote 0
In WWII real Sniper units were developed, especially in Soviet and Finnish armies. They operated alone, as hunters, or with an observer with binoculars and a PPSh to give back cover.
Even the film "Enemy at the Gates" is quite fantastic, the main working of the team is somewhat well depicted (I have read Tsaitsev memories, a DDR edition).
The sniper is designated to "hunt" sensible objectives, such as officers, AT or MG soldiers, radios, and in Stalingrad they were used for the "that every Nazi soldier feels with a Soviet gun pointing his head" psichological objective, creating terror to enemy troops and keeping heads down inside the buildings.
I never use the sniper, As in RO good kills can be taken at 200-300m with ironsights...

Upvote 0
In WWII real Sniper units were developed, especially in Soviet and Finnish armies. They operated alone, as hunters, or with an observer with binoculars and a PPSh to give back cover.
Even the film "Enemy at the Gates" is quite fantastic, the main working of the team is somewhat well depicted (I have read Tsaitsev memories, a DDR edition).
The sniper is designated to "hunt" sensible objectives, such as officers, AT or MG soldiers, radios, and in Stalingrad they were used for the "that every Nazi soldier feels with a Soviet gun pointing his head" psichological objective, creating terror to enemy troops and keeping heads down inside the buildings.
I never use the sniper, As in RO good kills can be taken at 200-300m with ironsights...
Just like Simo H

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tbh snipers aka designated marksmen in ro are not a good class to have if you are playing with a team that isnt too great, its just that all maps have been played to bits so that any decent sniper knows how to play and thus can have a big impact however on a new map you will get much more of a ww2 like scenario with the sniper not doing aswell. It is the other way around for an MG sort of.

Upvote 0
As examples of WWII sniper accuracy standards I found 2 examples:
- Headshot kill at 400m, body kill at 600m, Col Hertzenauer Kar98K, 1.5x Z41 sight.
- 5shots inside 3inches at 300yards with 3x telescopic sight, Enfield N4, British objective for its snipers.

Of course actual weapons are better than WWII ones, but we are talking about Red Orchestra... if you want to shoot a 12.7x108 semiauto with a 5x sight buy ArmA II and try the KSVK...

I think that most of us play RO because of its realism and historic precision, and we cant change that...

Upvote 0
As examples of WWII sniper accuracy standards I found 2 examples:
- Headshot kill at 400m, body kill at 600m, Col Hertzenauer Kar98K, 1.5x Z41 sight.
- 5shots inside 3inches at 300yards with 3x telescopic sight, Enfield N4, British objective for its snipers.

Of course actual weapons are better than WWII ones, but we are talking about Red Orchestra... if you want to shoot a 12.7x108 semiauto with a 5x sight buy ArmA II and try the KSVK...

I think that most of us play RO because of its realism and historic precision, and we cant change that...

I wouldn't take the ZF41 x1.5 as standard as it was hated and pretty much rejected by "snipers". Take a x4 scope and add around 100m to each distance.

Upvote 0