• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design tHE rOAD TO OREL FINAL MAP THREAD BY THE AUTHOR

I'm really pleased with the reaction this map has got so far.

I know that it is about as big as a map can get in RO and still be playable, but this was my intention from the beginning. I spent some time working out just how big it could be based on the engine limits (~1000m draw distance) as well as the spacing between objectives. You can just about see adjacent objectives from any other, but no more. One of the reasons for the size is that at 200m range most tank shells are the same. At 900m range there is more difference so the relative strenghts etc of each tank are more pronounced.

Obviously the first version had some mistakes, bugs and bits that could be improved. eg the infamous floating trees and tank loadout. I put it out in a bit of a last minute rush before I went to china so that when I got back I would hopefully have a little feedback on it. I didnt expect the reaction it got. I have been reading as many posts on it as I can find in the forums( thanks for the large amount of suggestions ppl). I am trying to incorporate as many of them as possible, especially the forward spawns.

The map is being worked on as fast as I can ( not counting TES OBLIVION - THAT GAME IS too GOOD, MY 6600gt IS not enought GODDAMIT!!). Im also getting slowed down by work. I will get it out as soon as I can, It will be largely in the same vein, but with the bugs removed, and some additions.

Im not sure if most ppl realise that it takes about 1-2 hours minimum to test a change in the map, as the rebuilding takes 30 mins with pathing, and it takes ten mins just to drive into the action (depends on what Im testing) and at this point Im at version 85 of the beta 2/Final.

Until I release it could this thread become the default "Next Orel Map" thread to prevent a billion threads?

Glad you mostly all like it.:D

thanks for the update Slashbot. Note: you can now include the PzKwIV (H) that TWI is including in their next release.

that would be tres sexy. :)

Cool, new tanks. I think 1 at max due to their recent arrival in June 1943, and the tiger tanks available for the germs. The Russians dont yet have the IS2. ( I like that tank the best.)

Not to nitpick but I thought orel was a city battle with an important railroad
although the current verison of orel is highly entertaining I hope to see the new verison soon.:)

nitpick all you want :D. It ended up being confusing as I released the map as RO-Orel instead of RO-Road to Orel Beta1. The final Version will be RO-Road to Orel as its set in the general area and assumes the germans were advancing west to Orel at the start of the Battle of Kursk. Not too sure how historical that is, but hey..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
slashbot make sure you look at the orel 88 vs 76 tank load out, its much more balanced then the original version and plays much better even if the russians only get the t34/76. In your first version you had the t34/85 which was brutal for the germans.

Also, how about a winter version. I was think there are no large winter tank maps but we have the skins for them and everything, this version could even be later in the way so you could include later model tanks (new pz 4). Might not be the most accurate map in terms of time and place but a large winter tank map would be neat.

Upvote 0
Mainly because I simply love the Pz III. Would like to see it remain in the new map if it was historically correct, but I doubt it.

There were lots of PzIII at Kursk. If you have a look at this post, you'll see my slightly incorrect strength list of the Das Reich division. (And a 100% correct list below it)
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=215239#post215239

The PzIII, in all it's iterations, was in service before and after Kursk/Orel. cheers! :)

Lots of PzIII of various types.
I think it would be fun to have a German T-34 on this map. :D
With the long engagment ranges, you would be taking your life in your hands, or getting the jump on the enemy

It was out of date by mid '43, but if you have the choice of putting extra armour into the field or not, which would you do :D

Edit: I've been trying to find the order of battle for the 9th Army when it was a Orel.
Got as far as the 41th, 46th and 47th Panzer Korp and the 20th Army Korp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Slashbot, first of all, congrats :D

My impressions of the map is that it is very interesting, but i really think that the travel distances are about 20% too far.

My two cents:

For the Love Of God No! Tank maps that are too small are a dime a dozen.

Orel is the ONLY map where I can strech my legs and get a sense of realism because it IS large enough for vehicles. Please, leave it the same size.

Another benefit of it being big is that it discourages Tkers, pre-teens and general all around idiots because those folks tend to have a short attention span and are easily bored so they will not drive 20Km to kill a fellow team mate etc.

This is another reason I love Orels size because you can get away from the idiots at the spawn area fairly quickly and join the battlefield after a few miles where it is safer. :rolleyes:

Sad but true, so don't shrink it please.

Upvote 0
Not to nitpick but I thought orel was a city battle with an important railroad
although the current verison of orel is highly entertaining I hope to see the new verison soon.:)

The Road to Orel.... "The Road"...... I agree, its an excellent map. Needs a little refinement but all the same, excellent.

Slashbot, puleeze, don't reduce or change the size in any way unless its to make it BIGGER! :D

Upvote 0
I absolutely love this map. Best tank map hands down. Don't change the size, it's great.

But like others have said:

THERE WERE NO T-34/85's IN 1943!
PLEASE REPLACE THEM WITH T-34/76's

Not entirely sure, but I think TIGERS SHOULD REPLACE THE PANTHERS, because Panthers weren't available in great numbers at that time, I think.

Being a bit of an a-nal(damn word filter) realism freak, I won't be playing this version until someone gets rid of the 85's and puts in 76's and adds Tigers instead of Panthers.

Sorry for caps and bold, I just really love this map :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here be a list of tanks used at Orel:

German tanks that should be in Orel
Tiger I (1942-1945-service dates)
PanzerIV H (1943-1945)- The "new"German tank
Panzer III L (1942-1945) although it should have side skirts
StugIII F/8 (although this one is extremely rare should be stugIII G)
Perhaps a few:
PanzerIV F2's(only 175 built)1942-1943

Soviet tanks
T-34/76(1941-early 1944)
KV-1s(1942 or 1943-1945)
T-60-( was in service in 1943)
Su-76-(also in service in 1943)

Although realistically there were more German/Soviet tanks present such as the Ferdinand tank and the ISU-152. Too bad they are not in game:(

*About the Panther: The Panthers used at Kursk(1943) were the the Panther Ausf. D-1 We dont have this Panther in game we have the most numerious and best version the Panther G which was produced after Kursk so no there should not be any Panthers in Orel unless someone models an Ausf.D-1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0