• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Panzer IV is the new T-34

Nezzer

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Porto Alegre, RS
For months we complained about how weak the T-34 was and how easily it was raped by both AT rifles and PzIVs. Now I have to say it's actually good, being less vulnerable to AT rifle fire, with the frontal sloped armour actually being significant and even deflecting enemy rounds sometimes, so yeah, the T-34 is okay for me.

But what is not okay is how the PzIV has been nerfed. Yesterday I killed between eight and ten PzIVs with my T-34 on Commissar's House in a single life. Just a single shot either on the spot under the driver window or slightly under the cross in the side and boom. It's just too easy to one-hit kill a Panzer IV now, even with an AT rifle. Its frontal armour feels almost as weak as the T-34 used to be. The Panzer IV now needs some serious buffs, getting a thicker frontal armour and weak spots harder to hit.

Either buff the PzIV or nerf the T-34. Would love some input about how realistic it is now and how it would be according to my suggestion.

Panzer IV is really suffering with AT guns, frontal hits on intact armour mantlet, making crew member killed after crew member killed. At over 100 meters distance, frontal shots. Is as if each AT round was a bazooka!

Don't nerf the T34, but buff the PZ4 considerably! Gun and Armour

Upvote 0
No that ain't crazy, it is supposed to happen. The problem is that it is now much easier to battle in a T34 than to battle in a PZ4. While it should be the complete opposite. The Panzer IV should be one shooting the T34 with much more ease. And the real problem is the Panzer IV recent weakness vs AT rifles, making it seem made of butter

Upvote 0
No that ain't crazy, it is supposed to happen. The problem is that it is now much easier to battle in a T34 than to battle in a PZ4. While it should be the complete opposite. The Panzer IV should be one shooting the T34 with much more ease. And the real problem is the Panzer IV recent weakness vs AT rifles, making it seem made of butter

Panzer IVs still has the better optics, the initiative (since the commander can spot and instaswitch to the gunner), and a target with a center mass instakill ammo box.

I'd be curious to see what the Steam Stats actually are on these tanks. I suspect Soviet players are finally figuring out where to shoot the Panzer IV to hit that ammo box, after seeing the official hit box diagrams.

Though I do agree the AT rifles do too much damage frontally. I've been getting occasional damaging hits at 45 degrees on the flank firing an AT rifle. Though I may be hitting the brakes / tracks / suspension, and not actually penetrating (I just see the firey smokey flash). I've only gotten frontal kills on the Panzer IV with the PTRS when shooting from a very high perch, punching through the top armor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P IV is fine.
Nope, it's not. The PzIV is supposed to have a much better frontal armour than the T-34, yet every time I face a PzIV from the front, I one-shot kill him, while I get hit several times with no damage at all. Try playing more as a German tanker on Fallen Fighter or Commissar's House. You will only play well if the enemy tanker is a noob. You willl have no chance against an experienced tanker that knows that almost every hit on the lower frontal armour of the PzIV is an instant kill, especially when he's got your spawn exit covered.

Upvote 0
And GOD said let there be more Tanks, it would be a very nice sight to see a Tiger in-game I know it is the battle of Stalingrad but come on, no KV's no nothing only T34 and Pzkw 4. I agree that tanks have very cool mechanics and animations but really why sacrifice number for quality at this amount of realism I mean ehh is a game, I would've enjoyed if there would've been posibility to customise your Pzkw 4 to emphasise on weaknesses or strenghts. Same for the T34 instead of nerfing or updating them.

My solution is why not make custom upgrades like better engine, better tracks but you sacrifice coaxial mg or if you want better gun you sacrifice amount of ammo that would be really nice instead of nerfing tanks or making them overpowered.

Upvote 0
Nope, it's not. The PzIV is supposed to have a much better frontal armour than the T-34, yet every time I face a PzIV from the front, I one-shot kill him, while I get hit several times with no damage at all.

The Panzer IV F2 / G early's frontal armor is in no way superior to the T34's. If anything its inferior.

T34's armor is 45 milimeters at 30

Upvote 0
Nope, it's not. The PzIV is supposed to have a much better frontal armour than the T-34

That's completely wrong. The T-34 has similar thickness armor on the front hull, with much better sloping, and notably thicker armor on the turret front. It was pretty much all-around better-armored than the PzIV we have in-game.

My solution is why not make custom upgrades like better engine, better tracks but you sacrifice coaxial mg or if you want better gun you sacrifice amount of ammo that would be really nice instead of nerfing tanks or making them overpowered.

You truly are a font of bad ideas.

None of these resemble anything approaching reality.

Upvote 0
That's completely wrong. The T-34 has similar thickness armor on the front hull, with much better sloping, and notably thicker armor on the turret front. It was pretty much all-around better-armored than the PzIV we have in-game.

You truly are a font of bad ideas.

None of these resemble anything approaching reality.

But what is the point of nerfing the Pzkw 4 or making the T34 more armored, it would only trouble players, my ideea was to give some vehicle upgrades, same as you have on weapons, as example the Pzkw 4 would get better engine, or would turn faster if upgraded, or you can choose. Instead of going with balance by rasing or lowering stats of each tank till you find the perfect balance.

Upvote 0
Frontal shots on the PIV at close to moderate range penetrate straight through, killing two crew members and damaging / destroying the engine. That's not to say it hasn't happened to the T-34, but it seems that most shots to the front of the PIV do a large amount of damage inside, whereas most shots on the front of the T-34 deflect, doing no damage at all. Such a difference leads to the T-34 winning in most cases, simply because shots are not even penetrating it (This is both tanks, facing off, at about 60 metres, at pretty much flat on, both on flat ground). I understand not ideal conditions etc, but this is what can happen in-game quite often.

I've yet to see how things play out on the larger tank maps, but on the ones where the tanks are forced to play off at cloes range, and at each-other's fronts, things seem to now be in favour of the T-34.

Upvote 0
Right now the only weakness of the T34 seems to be its turret, or its sides at the wheels, at a good almost flat angle.

While the PZ4 has weakspots that lead it to blow up in one shot frontally, T34 seems almost imune to this.

Also the PZ4 is loosing the loader much easier than before, when there was a bug in its turret, not allowing shots that would have penetrated to penetrate

I say let's trow everything in up air already and stop trying to pretend. Give the PZ4 the capability to be realistically superior to the T34. Make both tanks spawn on a countdown timer once killed like ROOST. Then give the PZ4 a bigger timer.

When PZ3 arrives, give it realistic properties and adjust the timer accordingly

The Panzer IVG was THE tank made to beat the T34/76. And at that it was most effective.

Upvote 0
I understand perfectly what your idea was. It's still bad.

K just because you think is bad that doesn't mean it really is, World of tanks, one of the most played tank games. It has customatization and things like that but people don't complain about it and is also very balanced. Red orchestra is fps, but i'm still troubled what is the point of having stats for tank crewmen and for tanks, if nothing really improves them if you advance in level. The only thing the stat system does is that it makes gameplay much more frustrating.

I played yesterday against a player with: MKB with scope and automatic C96 pistol. Man it was so annoying. It had such a huge advantage, but if infantry weapons are so problematic with upgrades why not make upgrades for the tanks. I would love to see a T34 with a coaxial flamethrower.

Upvote 0
K just because you think is bad that doesn't mean it really is, World of tanks, one of the most played tank games. It has customatization and things like that but people don't complain about it and is also very balanced.......------------.........

I would love to see a T34 with a coaxial flamethrower.

Gott im himmel here we go again...

Upvote 0