• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The other 80% of RO2 players dont want a "realism" mode.

MagyarHonved

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 30, 2011
The other 80% that dont post on the forums, or are even aware that they exist, that is. (Yes, yes. Now that you have clicked and are reading this thread we can all agree that statistics mean jack and ****.)

At any rate, being a newcommer to these forums, I was recently reading over the last dev post (with the poll) and was absolutely shocked to see that the majority of posters here selected "Realism mode/tweeks".

Um, are we playing the same game? This game is broken on so many fundamental levels like player model hitboxes, weapon imbalances, server/client net/ping issues, poor functionality of squad and commander cohesion, spawn issues, basic player movement and control, and game modes which just straight up suck. Yet, many of you are here advocating tougher, more realistic gameplay. Lets not put the cart before the horse gentlemen.

I understand your dedication the the RO franchise and I realize that you feel that the devs should cater to its diehards, and rightly so. I merely ask you to chill out, and press for showstopping class A/B bugs to be patched before you start worrying about DLC type updates. You want us new players to suck it up and power through the steep learning curve; sure, we can do that, but people are dropping this game as soon as they play one or two rounds. Not because of the difficulty, but because the game is often unplayable.

i don't think you read yoshiro's post. he said they were working on the stuff you wanted. they had the poll, so we can tell them what "we" want, while they fix the game. there were no options in the poll for what you ask for, (except squad and commander cohesion) because they're already working on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A new realism mode won't change anything for those who don't like it. It will not be forced down your throats like your "unrealism mode", as you might call it, is forced down ours. Don't like it, play relaxed realism. I won't even comment your "80%"...

Im not here to convince you that other players have no interest in adding or modifying gameplay mechanics or modes, it about fixing them so they actually *work* and setting realistic milestones of development for this project.

Upvote 0
Most people don't know what's good for them. That's a fact that you can observe in the world all around you. So don't take that poll so seriously because anybody can click on an option and vote for it without putting any serious thought into it. Democracy is always a system where the masses are just trying to pick the most appealing option, whether or not it will do them any good in the long run.

Yes there is demand for a Realism mode with unlocks disabled. I didn't vote for it but I recognise that it's a good idea and would benefit the community. As for fixes and improvement, there's a lot of stuff that needs addressing, it's harder to pin down where exactly the developers should start.

Don't exaggerate the ratio of Realism to Non-realism players. It's not a black and white split. There are many players, myself included, who play and enjoy both modes. I would call it roughly 60% Non-Realism to 40% Realism with a good 10% error margin either way accounting for players who play both.

Upvote 0
A new realism mode won't change anything for those who don't like it. It will not be forced down your throats like your "unrealism mode", as you might call it, is forced down ours. Don't like it, play relaxed realism. I won't even comment your "80%"...

He means that there are other things that are broken that is stopping the community from growing, and how fast your gun raises in iron sights isnt one of them.

Upvote 0
Don't exaggerate the ratio of Realism to Non-realism players. It's not a black and white split. There are many players, myself included, who play and enjoy both modes. I would call it roughly 60% Non-Realism to 40% Realism with a good 10% error margin either way accounting for players who play both.
he's not exaggerating the ratio. worse. he's stating that of the 80% of the people that bought the game and don't post here, ALL of them want relaxed realism. that is absurd!

my two cents...... if you bought the game, you have a right to add what you think it should evolve into. if you do not come to these forums and participate, you lost your choice and will just have to take it like it is. the only vote that counts, is the one that gets submitted here at tripwire.

80% of the population either don't care to change the game, or quit playing. they just do not count.

Upvote 0
He means that there are other things that are broken that is stopping the community from growing, and how fast your gun raises in iron sights isnt one of them.
we know what he means. but he's wrong. re-read my first post on this thread. trip is already fixing most of the stuff he wants as we speak.

ps. let's not downvote the guy just because we don't agree with him! it's not like he's insulting anyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The other 80% that dont post on the forums, or are even aware that they exist, that is. (Yes, yes. Now that you have clicked and are reading this thread we can all agree that statistics mean jack and ****.)
[...]

I think similarly, but notice in that poll was only one available option. What is the result ? Most want solutions known from Osfront, less "cod", they even put it higher than the dramatic technical part of the game. When I saw the poll I wanted to tick all ... {Plus is, Twi sees game needs changes}
I think Twi forgot why ppl decide to left ostfront, what i know, most left because of:
- some engine limitation, like non penetrable doors, jambs or concrete fences...
- outdated graphic
- lack of updates (new maps, even achievements, major exploits fix etc.)
Ostfront community was pretty solid, with own league, many clans and plenty matches in first years. Lack of any support from developers for about 2 years caused outflow of players.
In the first year Ostfront had a lot more players / clans (league was efficient) than Hos now. It would be the same, if TWI used the core upon which they could build an even more recognizable brand, which provides supply of now players. Just look on steam statistics. In first days after release peak was over 10 000, dont remember exactly... So many "ost veterans" like guys from realism clans try this game and so many left so fast.
TWI had really solid core, but they decide to reject it and try reach for everything. All or nothing. Twi forgot to measure the strength for intentions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What the hell is happening to gaming communities? There's a worrying trend where a game gets dumbed down, then the new kids on the block start dictating and being passive aggressive (or straight-out aggressive) towards the surviving fans of the series, as though expecting a logical progression to the predecessor is unjustified.

More on topic, most of the bugs have been fixed, especially the biggest ones. Bug fixing and all that wasn't on the poll, because it's a given. Now is the time to shift more to getting RO2 more realism-oriented. I would propose "realism" being the standard and eliminating casual modes, because the player-base is already small enough as it is, it doesn't need to be split up more. If you want more arcadey gameplay, go play CoD, Battlefield, or whatever else. Don't take that as aggressive, I mean, I play BF3, but I don't go in the forums and ask DICE to make it more realistic, because that's not what it's supposed to be. Think about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do think that there is a large number of people who play this game that have NEVER been to the Tripwire website, much less registered, read or posted on these forums, and that on top of that you have a large number of people here who do regularly visit, read, and post who have been playing RO for quite some time. It's only natural. Of course that tends to skew things, like when a poll is posted asking what the players want. Obviously you're going to get answers to that poll based more upon the wants of the people that are here, and have been here. That's not to say that everybody, or maybe not even a majority of the people not present, would vote the opposite of the RO1 players but you can't deny that there is a strong likelihood of different results if a real actual majority of RO2 players were voting.

The OP is right, even if a little too abrasive in delivery. There are still a lot of functionality issues to deal with in this game that make it difficult for EVERYBODY to enjoy, regardless of whether they prefer realism or relaxed, and those things should be top priority. Make the game work as it was intended to work, only then can we truly gauge what we do & don't like about it.

That said, it's very likely that the devs are putting priorities in correct order, we don't exactly have access to their inner workings to prove or disprove that.

Upvote 0
What the hell is happening to gaming communities? There's a worrying trend where a game gets dumbed down, then the new kids on the block start dictating and being passive aggressive (or straight-out aggressive) towards the surviving fans of the series, as though expecting a logical progression to the predecessor is unjustified.

More on topic, most of the bugs have been fixed, especially the biggest ones. Bug fixing and all that wasn't on the poll, because it's a given. Now is the time to shift more to getting RO2 more realism-oriented. I would propose "realism" being the standard and eliminating casual modes, because the player-base is already small enough as it is, it doesn't need to be split up more. If you want more arcadey gameplay, go play CoD, Battlefield, or whatever else. Don't take that as aggressive, I mean, I play BF3, but I don't go in the forums and ask DICE to make it more realistic, because that's not what it's supposed to be. Think about it.
Yes, imagine the unwashed masses and the peasant levies with a soapbox. How dreadful. Im truly appalled at my own behavior. I should have flashed my Vic20 campaign ribbon at the door. Did you want me to get to parade rest or attention while you look down your nose at me?

Dude. Man. Bro. Or whatever your chav slang equivalent would be. Im sorry the title of this thread was misleading. Nobody in this thread, including myself, is suggesting that current build of RO2 needs to be "dumbed down" for us "Yanks", or even future efforts to make it more RO1-ish be canceled. What we need are gameplay fixes for *current* gameplay issues.

Upvote 0
i don't think you read yoshiro's post. he said they were working on the stuff you wanted. they had the poll, so we can tell them what "we" want, while they fix the game. there were no options in the poll for what you ask for, (except squad and commander cohesion) because they're already working on them.

This. They state that they are working on bugs etc, and wanted to know what we want. Simple as that.

Upvote 0
I think similarly, but notice in that poll was only one available option. What is the result ? Most want solutions known from Osfront, less "cod", they even put it higher than the dramatic technical part of the game. When I saw the poll I wanted to tick all ... {Plus is, Twi sees game needs changes}
I think Twi forgot why ppl decide to left ostfront, what i know, most left because of:
- some engine limitation, like non penetrable doors, jambs or concrete fences...
- outdated graphic
- lack of updates (new maps, even achievements, major exploits fix etc.)
Ostfront community was pretty solid, with own league, many clans and plenty matches in first years. Lack of any support from developers for about 2 years caused outflow of players.
In the first year Ostfront had a lot more players / clans (league was efficient) than Hos now. It would be the same, if TWI used the core upon which they could build an even more recognizable brand, which provides supply of now players. Just look on steam statistics. In first days after release peak was over 10 000, dont remember exactly... So many "ost veterans" like guys from realism clans try this game and so many left so fast.
TWI had really solid core, but they decide to reject it and try reach for everything. All or nothing. Twi forgot to measure the strength for intentions.

VERY VERY very very very very very TRUE !!!

same opinion here

Upvote 0

Nihil sub sole novum.

It's allways been like that, i've watched plenty realism games circle the mainstream drain, and this is allways how it goes.
Next he'll be telling us to "go join the army if you want realism", because they allways do.

Been here, done this, bought the damned T-Shirt, infact i think i have 12 of thease sodding shirts now.

Upvote 0
I do think that there is a large number of people who play this game that have NEVER been to the Tripwire website, much less registered, read or posted on these forums, and that on top of that you have a large number of people here who do regularly visit, read, and post who have been playing RO for quite some time. It's only natural. Of course that tends to skew things, like when a poll is posted asking what the players want. Obviously you're going to get answers to that poll based more upon the wants of the people that are here, and have been here. That's not to say that everybody, or maybe not even a majority of the people not present, would vote the opposite of the RO1 players but you can't deny that there is a strong likelihood of different results if a real actual majority of RO2 players were voting.
while that may be true, the only ones who are going to get their voice heard are us. the ones who frequent the forums. and while i don't aggree with the vote, (i like the game as it is) i will stand by their choice and not complain about it. those that don't not participate in the forum, well we don't have to worry about them. they don't care enough about the game to even look in and see what's going on. they'll just have to live with the choices made here. it's tough, but that's how it goes. you either get active in something and make what you want of it, or sit back on your hands and hope for the best.
twi is actually making the game what the people want it to be. those that do not like it now, had better get off thier asses and provide input before it's too late. (which i think it already is.) no point in making any posts about what the other 80% think. cause they're busy thinking it in a place it wont help.:(

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0

What type of sampling did you use to come to this conclusion?

statistics mean jack and ****.)

That's true. If they mattered to you, then you would have never created this super creepy, raged filled post that lacks any intellectual integrity.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0