• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The hugly overpowered panzerfaust

Dr.Luuvalo said:
I thinkt that 'faust after armor effects are a bit too drastic, penetration seems to be fine though.
I remember reading that sometimes (not too rarely) when a tanks was hit by heat round and penetrated, very litlle damage was done exept for a small hole in the armor.

i don't see how that can be.basically you're squirting a jet of molten metal inside the crew compartment. the crew would get severe burns outside and be burned inside when they inhaled the superheated gas

Upvote 0
In my oppinion tThe panzerfaust isn't overpowered but the circumstances in RO are not realistic:
- The tank damage model is not detailed enought; you have all or nothing now
- You can carry up to THREE of them and your regulat weapon which is highly gamy because the pf didn't had any carrying help and weight about 6kg (for PF 60)
- There are no dud panzerfausts which happens often to them late war

By the way: the manual says "11,7 kg empty" which I doubt is correct

Upvote 0
The reason, I would guess, for the amount of panzerfaust pickups on every map (there aren't that many, really) is because of one simple thing.

Tanks respawn. You panzerfaust a tank, and it comes rolling out again ten seconds later.

I'd be fully willing to have a limit on panzerfausts if destroying a tank was anything more than an inconvenience.

Honestly, the fact that an IS2 is worth the same as a rifleman in reinforcement value is more 'gamey' than a single panzerfaust sitting in a box. As I've previously stated in a different subforum, Germany made 1.3 million panzerfausts in December 1944 alone.

Upvote 0
Ristus said:
A good rule is that if it is not like in Combat Mission, it is not realistic. It really should deflect like it does now.

They deflect in Combat Mission? How do you know? Panzerfaust only appear as a puff of smoke going from infantry to a tank in Combat Mission. If there is a hit, you hear the penetration sound effect, if there isn't , you don't hear or see anything.

Upvote 0
IIRC a panzerfaust had to hit within 15 degrees or so of vertical (roughly from 75deg to 90deg impact) for it to penetrate. That goes for pretty much ANY thickness of armor, except for very, very thin plate - say 20mm or less. But with a good impact penetration was pretty much guaranteed. Whether or not there was something behind that penetrated armor for the molten metal to work on is another story entirely.

Defenses against the panzerfaust did exist. Spaced plates (i.e., schurzen), wood planks, heavy wire mesh, even sandbags. Today's reactive armor and composite or layered armor are the ultimate outgrowth of the search for ways to protect tanks against shaped charge and HEAT warheads.

Upvote 0
Tornister Straps, Reproduction : Excellent-quality repros of the black leather straps used to secure field gear & other equipment. The tornister has the quick-release strap sewn to the buckle-end to allow for attaching gear that is bound by the strap, without having to unbuckle it.

Panzerfaust were designed to be secured with standard issue tornister straps to the Y-strap & belt field harness.

The Germans should have PAK-Soldat teams to carry the Raketenpanzerbuchse 54. Other German soldier's would carry Panzerfaust and Panzerwurfmine in either the chute or sticky version. Of course that is leaving out the plethora of anti-tank rifle grenades. Depending on the type, these could penetrate between 90-126mm of armour.

In a combined arms map, a tank without infantry support should be a sitting duck.

All the best,

Crumpp

Upvote 0
Midshipman said:
Not every shot is going to intersect the crew compartment.

the only shot that won't hit the crew compartment would be from the back because it would hit the engine instead. from the front, sides, or top, it will likely kill/incapacitate at least one member of the crew (20 cm penetration). perhaps when they model the ability to kill individual crew, panzerfaust damage can be recalculated. for now i think it's fine

Upvote 0
This is how shaped charges work.

When a shaped/hollow charge detonates the energy is concentrated to the center of the hollow space in front of and along the axis of the charge.This is called the Monro effect. A jetstream of the explosion gases hits steel with a speed of 8000 meters per second or 26,000 fps and penetrating pressure in excess of 10 million kg/cm2. The effect can be increased by putting a metal liner to the surface of the hollow area in the warhead. When the explosion occurs, the liner metal is turned to plasma further increasing penetration power. When a shaped charge penetrates it shoots these hot gases and molten metal inside the target vehicle. Now imagine being caught behind this blast. You're either dead or severly burned. Plus any other nasty effects inside the crew compartment that I don't know about. Either way, you and your tank won't be doing much fighting.

Shaped charges do not relay on the kinetic energy of the warhead. So it doesn't matter what method a shaped charge hits it target with. Be it fired by a powder charge, like the Panzerfaust or simply thrown. Both target range and weapon velocity are not a factor, the charge can be literally laid onto the target and still have the same devastating effect.

This should give you an idea of what happens when a Panzerfaust hits its target.
sci14qk.jpg

The Panzerfaust we have in game has a maximum penetration of 200mm of steel. The IS-2 tank has a max of 120-160mm of armor, 80-40mm less then the max penetration of the Panzerfaust. So, a direct hit from a Panzerfaust on any tank in RO:O will disable your tank or kill everyone inside.

And remember, lone tanks are easy meat for infantry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I don't think there is enough gore for Panzerfaust related infantry killings. I mean an arm or leg will pop off if you hit it, but when you hit them in the chest there should be a huge flame coming out of their back and when they fall down there should be a perfect circle in the chest like you see in cartoons.

that would be awesome

Upvote 0
I'll add one thing though.. they really need to model in the backwash of flame when these things were fired. Then you'd see people taking care when aiming them instead of casually popping off a shot like it's a normal gun. The firejet coming out the back was dangerous to 10m, and lethal to 3m. And not just a danger to friendlies nearby.. if you were to fire it in a confined space or with a wall behind you.. YOU would be at risk from the flame.

I recall the old old version of Infilitration (a mod for unreal/UT1) had this for the RPG, and it really made you think before you fired it. And doesn't America's Army have it also?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if there would be a "backblast" for the panzerfaust. First off there is no place for this backblast to exit since the end of the PF is capped. Second I've played my share of ww2 games and ww2 mod and I've never seen backblast on a PF (including OFP). It has something to do with the panzerschrek and Bazooka being tube launched, while the panzerfaust is similar to a recoilless rifle I guess you could say.

Upvote 0
Phantom2828 said:
Wow I just got done pratcing on a custom map with the panzerfaust and wtf how can the thing go right through is2 and t34 armor from the front in one shot and destroy it! that thing is incredably overpowered. Maybe one shot to the amno storage or two for the engine. Just look at the ptrd you have to be prone and hit the amno storage right on for a one hit kill the panzerfaust can kill the most heavly armored tank from the front in one hit even a tiger 1 cant do that! I highly doubt that this is correct or else in ww2 you wouldent need tanks to kill other tanks just one shot them all with the panzerfaust! What bs I think this needs to be looked at right away.

Junior members...LOL

The Panzerfaust was capable of penetrating the armor of any tank made during the war. Of course you had to have balls of steel to wait till the enemy tank was within 60 meters to secure a hit.

Upvote 0
PF used a black powder launching charge. It and the backblast made for a very prominent shot signature, attracted much fire at once. If backblast and the smoke were modeled into the game, it would help relaism a lot. Penetration seems reasonable.

Not sure why, but changing the fire mode (supposed to change range settings on the PF in game) stopped working for me. Wonder why...

Upvote 0