• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Cat's out of the bag (mines)

Moz said:
So when do we get these to play with?

And what ever happened to this:

BTW:

The C96 and the MP41 are already in the animation files (they are unchanged from the mod)

The second image seems to be from ut2k4 onslaught, where it was possible for the enemy to steal empty vehicles. Since this is not possible in RO it seems useless. I doubt very much that it has to do with locking out other players....

Upvote 0
Yeah that reminds me of Rome: Total War with the Barbarian Invasion pack.

I was exploring the folers one day (can't rmember why) and saw faction flags for White Huns and Moors, even though neither faction exists in game. There are Huns, and Berbers, but not the two I found.

Makes me wonder then if the devs originally intended for mines to be in and then scrapped the idea, I wonder what the problem was?

Why don't developers get rid of this stuff if they don't intend to use it?

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Yeah that reminds me of Rome: Total War with the Barbarian Invasion pack.

I was exploring the folers one day (can't rmember why) and saw faction flags for White Huns and Moors, even though neither faction exists in game. There are Huns, and Berbers, but not the two I found.

Makes me wonder then if the devs originally intended for mines to be in and then scrapped the idea, I wonder what the problem was?

I'm pretty sure they exist as rebel factions if you play as Huns.

Upvote 0
Jack said:

1) unlikely, more likely its a feature yet to come, coding new weapons, and especially new types of weapons, will often take longer than modelling and texturing them, its more likely that its there because they want to use it.
The Mosin Nagant M44 model was done, and included in the mod days atleast from 2.0, but had not yet been coded, its making its debut now though in the next patch.

2) developers probably intend to remove scraps of features that didn't make it, but its one of the last things you do (working on the rest of the game is more important), and quite often, the time up to release is very hectic, with the dev team fighting to wrap it all up and meet their deadline, removing old or unused things is easilly forgotten, or there simply might not be enough time.

Upvote 0
Mines are NOT, repeat after me - NOT something you would plant in a 15-minute tactical action. Period.

It is something that is planted in big, mapped and neatly organizes fields, on static frontlines, weeks, or months in advance of the expected enemy attack (which, again, may never come).

Ideas like this would lead to "BF2-ification" of RO. (I don't know whether BF2 indeed has mines, I believe it does not, I just use it as my favorite example of idiotic war themed shooter.)

Oleg

Upvote 0
Heh!

I say the more the merrier.. all kinds of great realistic weapons should become part of RO.

With that comes the need for OPTIONS so server admins can customize their servers to the wants and likes of their player/clients.

Having these items in RO "available" only makes the program more attractive to potential buyers. Whether or not they use them in their servers is an entirely different matter.

Granted, RO is great now.... but what's wrong with making it more attractive, deepening its market penetration and making RO the very best it can be?

The potential for RO is virtually unlimited. That means the income potential for Tripwire is also. Don't cut them off at the knees... Optional choices for server admins is the golden key. The clients/players then have extensive choices of differing RO servers.

Upvote 0
Mike_Nomad said:
Heh!

I say the more the merrier.. all kinds of great realistic weapons should become part of RO.

With that comes the need for OPTIONS so server admins can customize their servers to the wants and likes of their player/clients.

Having these items in RO "available" only makes the program more attractive to potential buyers. Whether or not they use them in their servers is an entirely different matter.

Granted, RO is great now.... but what's wrong with making it more attractive, deepening its market penetration and making RO the very best it can be?

The potential for RO is virtually unlimited. That means the income potential for Tripwire is also. Don't cut them off at the knees... Optional choices for server admins is the golden key. The clients/players then have extensive choices of differing RO servers.

seconded.

How about a new game type that allows one side to prepare a defense, and in this time mines, traps and barbed wire can be set up, as well as mgs gettin into postions.

Upvote 0
Tomcat_ha said:
Werent only magnetic mines really used in front line action?

yes this where very common in the begining as a effecient tool again tanks. Germans used zimmerit to protect there tanks, though, the allied forces, specialy soviets never realy developed something comparable and leaved there tank unprotected again german limpetmines.

from the picture this looks very similar to some german pionierweapons
German T.Mi. 35 St,
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/Bilderseitenneu/TMine35.htm

another thing usefully thing again tanks
file:///f:/fontpage/Handgranaten.doc#Stiel24

at least, using this weapons in close fight again tanks woud make much more sence for pioniers/sappers then "throwing" the satchels on tanks

The "gebalte ladung" woud be something nice to have too, but this woud be more usefull for ushual infantry as a last resort since the effect on biger tanks shoud be not that heavy.

Upvote 0