• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

That lighting...

Upvote 0
What you mean by "lighting effects" are actually called god rays.

TBH I find the lighting pretty lackluster, nowhere near the fidelity found in the lighting engine of BF3.

For example, compare your screenshot to this one here:

http://geeksweat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/BF3-breach.jpg

Notice how the sight and the charging handle actually block the light and cast shadows onto the model in response to the direction of the light (from the left)? On your screenshot the back face of the rear sight is almost pitch black. With the direction of the sunlight, this makes sense. But right behind that the top of the weapon is clearly visible.

Now if the god-rays are what you mean then yes, they do look pretty. Don't get that confused with lighting effects, though. :]

Upvote 0
BF3 lighting is terrible in the way it's completely overdone. The engine would have potential, but they put all the effects up to 11 and the end result is just that - overdone. The graphics in that game in general are pretty rubbish, especially the textures and models, all that's done really good is some explosions and the haze/stuff-flying/fog of war effects they got going on. It really helps moving about because target acquisition gets really hard sometimes, which is great. Seeing people in HoS is too easy most of the time. And no, it's not because of the zoom.

The high contrast BF3 has hurts my eyes, I play 2 hours and they're red and watery, I much prefer RO2 in every way.

I have a particular fondness of the animations and ragdolls in RO2, they're awesome. Look at that german falling on his knee while grabbing his intestines spilling out of a hole in his stomach, and then falling down on the side while whimpering. It was a perfect kodack moment in a wargame, no other game ever portrayed death so chillingly well done. And it wasn't a scripted death-animation, other than the grab-stomach-move, it was all done by the ragdoll.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Also, gore works really good coupled with the suppression system - I was crouching in a trench and this guy
Spoiler!
was standing up behind me and got hit by a mortar and he fell in - instant 100% suppression, and not just in-game suppression.

Edit:

This is probably the most creepiest post to post on Christmas. I don't really have an obsession with death, despite my steam screenshot library consisting of dead people and nuclear explosions. Really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Careful, I got down-voted for pointing out that godrays don't have anything to do with lighting. :rolleyes:
I downvoted you because you praised the graphics of BF3, which I cannot stand. Everything has a strange white outline, and its insanely hard to see anything. The lights are also crazily annoying. RO2 looks so smoothe, and its quite easy to see people.

Upvote 0
I downvoted you because you praised the graphics of BF3, which I cannot stand. Everything has a strange white outline, and its insanely hard to see anything. The lights are also crazily annoying. RO2 looks so smoothe, and its quite easy to see people.

Comparing =/= praising. I said it had fidelity, enough to cast proper looking soft shadows and self-shadow models.

"UGGHH HE SAID BF3 WAS GOOD IN SOME WAY?! F#CK THAT! IGNORE HIS POST! DOWNVOTE DOWNVOTE DOWNVOTE DOWNVOTE!"

Upvote 0