• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Teamkill Forgiveness

Teamkill Forgiveness

• Total voters
If I remember correctly the mod had a limit to the number of unforgiven TKs. You weren't automatically kicked for one unforgiven TK. I think it was something like three or five. The system worked well in the mod but wasn't on all servers. People almost always forgave accidental TKs and got a little satisfaction when they could ignore, and therefore punish, intentional TKers. It used to be funny when some jerk would intentionally start TKing and then start begging and pleading for forgiveness when they realized they were going to get kicked.

Upvote 0
No, no, no.

No, no, no.

The Tk forgive system gives me bad memories.

I used to play on a DoD:S server called the 5th Rangers battallion, and to put it quick and simple- they were complete cocks about the TK forgiving system.

I onec naded one of the 5th Rb guys, and he and I could both tell it was clearly and accident (i got shot with a nade in my hand and he was next to me... go figure what happened) and the 5th guy knew it.

I respawned 10 seconds later and 20 seconds into my life I get slayed. He goes "you never said sorry" which to tell quite honestly, I wasn't. But THEIR server rules THEY are suppose to enforce say you ONLY slay for team kills that are NO accident.

God, there's plenty more bad memories with the TK slay/forgiving system.

Upvote 0
Well... those who don't like even accidental TKs within a WAR game should better give chess a try :D.

I'm sure only a small amount of accidental TKs (specially in WWII) IRL are really known, not to speak 'bout punished in some way (if any).

So what's the problem with forgiving in a game? Is it really always the fault of the TKer? Or rather yours (i.e. crossing the line of fire of a teammate)?
Or just that... an accident?

Upvote 0
The tk forgive system in the mod was perfect. You say "sorry", and if the guy you accidentally killed believes you he says "np" and you both continue to fight the enemy. If he thinks you did it on purpose, or he's a douchebag like some people who's names I don't need to mention, he ignores you and it's no different than it is now.

I don't see why anyone is resistant to the idea of forgiving an honest mistake, but it certainly gives us all an interesting insight into their psychology and level of maturity.

Upvote 0
The Tk forgive system gives me bad memories.

I used to play on a DoD:S server called the 5th Rangers battallion, and to put it quick and simple- they were complete cocks about the TK forgiving system.

I onec naded one of the 5th Rb guys, and he and I could both tell it was clearly and accident (i got shot with a nade in my hand and he was next to me... go figure what happened) and the 5th guy knew it.

I respawned 10 seconds later and 20 seconds into my life I get slayed. He goes "you never said sorry" which to tell quite honestly, I wasn't. But THEIR server rules THEY are suppose to enforce say you ONLY slay for team kills that are NO accident.

God, there's plenty more bad memories with the TK slay/forgiving system.

I agree about the way some people love to slay people in games given the chance, but the person that doesn't forgive will gain very little satisfaction if you simply give the player -2 to his score and make him get kicked sooner. Griefer types might enjoy that but its no where near the satisfaction griefers will get from slaying.

Also it won't be like you HAVE to forgive people if you don't want to. It would depend on the situation, like in some circumstances I would not forgive because otherwise people will just not care if they tk if there's no punishment. Hopefully it won't be assumed you will be forgiven but it would be nice to have the option to if you feel the guy made a genuine mistake. Obviously repeat offenders will still get kicked because no one will forgive them.

Upvote 0
Gomer Pyle.

Same dude called Domer Pyle on Planetside?
No, can't be me. I only use Gomer Pyle on this site and in RO. RO is the only online game I've played...well, except for Red Baron 3D for a while some years ago. I don't remember why I chose it. I've stuck with it because I'm too lazy to come up with another. During the free week someone online told me they use it somewhere else. Maybe that's the guy on Planetside. Most people think I took the name from the movie Full Metal Jacket. I'm older than that. I took it from the same place the movie took it. "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C." http://www.timvp.com/gomer.html

Upvote 0
well maybe in BF2 but in mod times of RO I can hardly remember any kick for TKs when this mutator was there - excepts evil respawn TKers... People used this option to forgive very much. I forgave everytime someone said "sry" after TKed me.

yeah FORGIVE after they say "sry" , but they dont even friggin do that.

LOWER the number of TK , before booting folks and add option for "forgiveness".

Upvote 0
if people dont apologise on our server consistently they are kicked simple as that, whether its your fault or not, you should always apologise for Tking.

I tried the TK mutator but unfortunately it crashes the server every now and again, so its quite unstable which is a real shame.

Still whether I am commander or not I hardly ever get TKs unless I have been drinking :D Commanders really need to remind people about arty over VOIP and typed on screen numerous times, and DONT ARTY THE OBJECTIVES!
If you do you deserve to get kicked.

Upvote 0
if people dont apologise on our server consistently they are kicked simple as that, whether its your fault or not, you should always apologise for Tking.

That's one of the rules we have on our server too.

I don't really care if someone says sorry or not, and I think it's a bit ridiculous those who expect it as if saying "sorry" suddenly makes everything right in the world. Really not saying sorry just stops me from having to say, "It's alright, it happens." Which can get me killed again. :p

Apologizing for tk's doesn't mean the person is actually sorry, but it does mean that they acknowledge their mistake and that is what matters.

Upvote 0
While acknowledging mistakes is important (and forgiving mistakes even more so), it is more of a courtesy thing than anything else.

Personally, I can pretty much tell with 99% accuracy when I've been tk'd accidentally or intentionally. Is there anyone out there for which this is not true?

Upvote 0
While acknowledging mistakes is important (and forgiving mistakes even more so), it is more of a courtesy thing than anything else.

Personally, I can pretty much tell with 99% accuracy when I've been tk'd accidentally or intentionally. Is there anyone out there for which this is not true?

Yes so why automatically punish if its an accident. Surely the tk protection (ie kicks for too many tk's) is there to protect against intentional tk's so why treat accidents the same way. I think 2 separate systems are needed: 1 for mistakes and 1 for intentional tk's - eg. you forgive if you want (if it was accidental and you believe the person is sorry) or you don't and the player gets kicked. Intentional tkers will get kicked as fast as they do now, while a lot of accidental tk's will be forgiven and the player will hopefully learn from his mistakes (if it was his mistake..not all tk's are the tker's fault)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If someone has the original mutator by Tzefanya then maybe its just a case of altering the code a bit. Anyone got some programming experience who could look at it?

Problem though as well is the download link for the mut isn't working so I hope someone has a copy saved that they can host.

This is the original post for the mutator: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5602&highlight=forgive+mutator

Upvote 0