• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank sounds

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Im sure this has been mentioned before but i havnt seen it around for a while. But the volume of tanks needs to be looked into. Right now a tank can blind side you when you run around the corner of a building. without you hearing it at all. Tanks should be very loud and annoying. But only while your on the outside of the tank. it shouldnt be as loud while your inside. Really dont know if thats how it was with tanks this old but if it was real loud in the tank too it would just drive tankers crazy. But for the sake of realism the volume of tank sounds need to be turned way up. A tank should not be stealthy. We should hear those tracks making all sorts of noise even while the tank is moving slow. Having a tank sneak up on you just should not happen.

hum well the weapon sounds are louder then the tank sounds... no reason why they cant be the same volume. the engine limitation excuse has been abused too much. we have heard that used for almost every minor problem in the game that wasnt a flat out bug.

Weapon sounds are what people base the volume off of for the most part if they want those to be loud enough to be realistic they can turn the volume up till they go deaf if they wanted.

The point is tanks should not be stealthy. The sound for them should travel farther and the volume should be louder. im sure this can be fixed with the engine. if a weapon can be made to be heard from a distance fairly loud so can a tank.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Tanks should be very loud and annoying. But only while your on the outside of the tank. it shouldnt be as loud while your inside. Really dont know if thats how it was with tanks this old but if it was real loud in the tank too it would just drive tankers crazy.

I'm pretty sure those things were horrible to be inside. The engine was excessively loud inside, and every time a single bullet hit the outside, it made a loud 'pinng' reverberating through the interior. I heard tell that soldiers would deafen tankers to their surroundings by opening fire on a tank with small arms just to confuse them. Also, they took hammers to the outside to make them think they were under fire.

Long story short, tanks should be louder on the inside than the outside, and also it'd be sweet if bullets hitting a tank would play the 'bullet hitting metal' sound at like 200% volume for the players inside the tank.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure those things were horrible to be inside. The engine was excessively loud inside, and every time a single bullet hit the outside, it made a loud 'pinng' reverberating through the interior. I heard tell that soldiers would deafen tankers to their surroundings by opening fire on a tank with small arms just to confuse them. Also, they took hammers to the outside to make them think they were under fire.

Long story short, tanks should be louder on the inside than the outside, and also it'd be sweet if bullets hitting a tank would play the 'bullet hitting metal' sound at like 200% volume for the players inside the tank.
T-34 was the worst to be in. The engine was bolted straight in and the vibration it caused didn't make it an enjoyable ride.

Upvote 0
The Panther and T34 seem to have good track sounds.

Yeah this is something many war games lack right now. IE the sounds of the tracks clanking on the pavement or the sounds of tanks turing their main guns on you.

That and if you go to my thread add the screen shake I suggested to tanks or APCs that drive by you it would help make people think twice before chargeing in with a satchel to take out a tank like the Tiger, or IS2.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah i dont believe the tank volumes cant be fixed. Someone is not telling the truth or just dosnt know how to do it. or the wrong people have been asked to do it. That post was from the sound artist. maybe hes just not the one that can control the effect volume. And yeah that mod the tanks were loud as hell.... so if a modder can do it then the devs damn well better be able to do it or something is really wrong. I doubt modders could figure out something the devs couldnt. so im just going to assume they havnt tried yet.

It is not a engine limitation just like 50 player servers were not a engine limitation and bullet penitration wasnt. it can be done all it takes is the right people wanting to do it.

Upvote 0
Yeah i dont believe the tank volumes cant be fixed. Someone is not telling the truth or just dosnt know how to do it. or the wrong people have been asked to do it. That post was from the sound artist. maybe hes just not the one that can control the effect volume.

Good grief. Xancerman is only the person responsible for recording, editing, and incorporating the sound effects into the game. "Lead Sound Artist" means he knows how UE's sound engine works, i.e., he's not some second-rate hack TW hired to slap together some sound effects for the game. But hey, go on ahead and don't let me keep you from believing in your flawed opinions.

Upvote 0
Good grief. Xancerman is only the person responsible for recording, editing, and incorporating the sound effects into the game. "Lead Sound Artist" means he knows how UE's sound engine works, i.e., he's not some second-rate hack TW hired to slap together some sound effects for the game. But hey, go on ahead and don't let me keep you from believing in your flawed opinions.

No he has a good point. I mean even the old TU2004 had louder tank sounds than this game dose. I mean did you ever walk up to a tank as it shot it's main gun? WOW! it was loud! You could hear it across the map too.

Upvote 0