• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank features

+++Piru++

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2007
Hi All,

there are few thing in RO which are strange to my taste:
1. Tank can't break a thin wooden fence - so U must drive around for hundreds of meters instead of going to help Ur infantry.
2. Same things are about bushes and small trees - why can't U drive over?
3. Isn't it so, that when the AP shell hits some wall there should be at leas hole, if not part of wall broken?
4. Effect of HE shell in small room - there is ex. enemy MG gunner & U need sometimes 5-10 hits to send him to hell.

Well, correct if I made a mistake, please!

BR,

+++Piru+++

Well the first three are just limitations of the game engine. You can make an object have collision detection (meaning it's "solid), or have no collision detection (meaning things can pass through it). Fences and such are a problem. On on hand, you want them to be obstacles for soliders and whatnot. But in making them able to stop solider's bodies, they also will now stop bullets/tanks/etc. If you make it "passable" then bullets and tanks can pass through or drive over the obstacle, but soliders can also go through it.

At least that's the way I think it works.

As for point #4, make sure you're actually using HE, not AP ammo. Also make sure the shell isn't flying into the back of the room, it might be too far out of the kill zone. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Upvote 0
Well.. they are not engine limitations as much as they are server limitations, the Unreal 2.5 engine can make destructable objects, even deformable terrain to some degree, but if the servers had to handle all that information, well it would be very very bad.. RO is allready pushing the servers very hard with all the ballistics its got going on, its right at the edge of what servers can muster as it is.
If it where a purely offline game, then it would be a different matter, but its not.

But HE shells do behave oddly at times, i've planted one at the feet of enemy infantry and watched them scurry off to hide unharmed a few times, it happens..

Upvote 0
RO doesn't seem to model any kind of fragmentation for the grenades and therefore they are pretty unrealistic IMO. You can run trough an arty barrage while IRL there would be a huge amount of chunks of metal flying in the air and lethal up to 50-100 meters depending on size of the fragment. And the HE shells and hand grenades have to land very near to have any effect at all.

Upvote 0