• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Driving

takadi

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
I've seen some mentionings in other threads about making tank driving more exciting and requiring more skill to use. After all, when you are the driver, all you do is that...drive. Manual shifting and gauge checking ala WWIIOL were suggested. Any ideas if this is feasible?

Well i guess if they can include as an Option it would be cool, this would make it easier for people who choose to use it to climb hills and use it to their advantage, while those who like it quick will still be able to control a Tank with ease...

i'd just like to know how i can utilize my Steering Wheel for Tank Driving...

Upvote 0
Anoter cool thing would be individual track controls, for example Z applies torque on the left track and puts the right on one reverse, while M does the opposite. It would really make driving more immerse.

This is how they accomplished the tank controls in the great FinnWars BF1942 mod, and it works real well. Combined with manual gear changing, it would certainly add some skill in armored combat.

Upvote 0
people might say there would be too many buttons added, but since all you do currently is press forward to operate a tank, might as well add some other things so that people might be encouraged to take a tank to drive with skill rather than mindlessly plunging a tank into the middle of enemy fire?

Upvote 0
I dont get it. Are you suggesting to make the tankdriving so hard that only the select few "specially trained worthy RO-fanatics" can drive it?
I dont mind it if its a choiche, that way you can choose if you want to, but how come most of the suggestions I see in this part of the forum strive to make RO harder for the average player, while making it secluded for the "Elite" crowd?
If some one dont drive the tank the way you would like him to, why dont you educate him or just dont drive with him?

I am seeing a fraction of members here that act as if they are the ones that decides how to play the game and if people dont play it their way, they should leave.
Is that really the way you want to come across?
I dont think you got the devs support in that.
And yes, I know this will get me comments like "its the realistic way" and "go play CS".....

Upvote 0
no no no, you're taking it the wrong way. I just meant it should just be more immersive. The extra bonus is that so it wouldn't allow players to mindlessly drive it into enemy fire because it would require skill to develop. The main reason I requested this is so that you could control speed, therefore prevent your vehicle from tipping over (i'm talking about not just tanks, but every vehicle). Plus wouldn't it just make it more fun, like a racing video game? I dont' see any harm.

I am definitely not one of those 1337 people, and if you ever catch me like that, you can fling rubber bands into my eyes for all its worth

Upvote 0
Well, basicly it would not increase the number of buttons to be configured. Here's my idea:

"L-shift" - Gear up (automatic throttle)
"L-ctrl" - Gear down (automatic throttle, going through the gears would eventually put the tank on reverse)
"Z" - Apply torque on the left track
"M" - Apply torque on the right track
"Space" - Brake

Having a separate button for throttle would be possible too, without sacrificing the gameplay, but would make things quite complicated.

Of course, this would certainly take a short while to get used to, but after few hours of gaming it would be as natural as the dreaded manual use of the bolt of your rifle and the fun and immersion would be squared.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I was not clear enough about what I meant. I dont mean 1337, I mean Elite in the original sense of the word, some one that is, or think that he/she is, better than other people.

It is my believe that if you further highten the already high learning curve of RO you make it into an even more niche game.

But if its a client choice you can pick it to highten your own sense of immersion and its still accessible as it is now to the new player. Or make a mutator that does it and the crowd that likes it can play it on the servers that runs it, while the rest can play on standard servers.

Takadi, talking about "the extra bonus" in your post is infact by definition stating that the tank driving should be Elite only.
So here is the rubberband... ;)
And the simulation racing game? Try Grand Prix Legends if you want that! :)

Upvote 0
Adding gears would be very possible, the lean keys could do that, adding more and it becomes more tricky.. though i guess we could drive using a combination of WASD and the arrow keys, that opens up some options.. you know, the tank driver has no weapons, that upens up the mouse buttons too.

I could see this going places.

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
Maybe I was not clear enough about what I meant. I dont mean 1337, I mean Elite in the original sense of the word, some one that is, or think that he/she is, better than other people.

It is my believe that if you further highten the already high learning curve of RO you make it into an even more niche game.
So.. newbies are somehow dimwitted and slower learners than veteran players, who are introduced a new feature? I think it would take about the same amount of time for both types of players to learn it, maybe it's even easier for newbies, as they have not adapted the old system.

Upvote 0
MkH^ said:
So.. newbies are somehow dimwitted and slower learners than veteran players, who are introduced a new feature? I think it would take about the same amount of time for both types of players to learn it, maybe it's even easier for newbies, as they have not adapted the old system.

No, newbies are not dimwitted, and I dont just refer to this suggestion, but the over the board threads saying lets make this harder, so that we dont have newbies drive us right into enemy fire or lets make it more realistic "because thats what the RO players want".

Im talking about an attitude towards RO, where a part of the members act like they got a direct feed to the developers minds and knows how things should be.
Im talking about the by now countless threads ending up in a "go play CS" or this game is realistic, it will never happen (where the person saying that is no developer and by definition does not know what will or will not "never happen").
Im talking about the "Elite RO player" class, that thinks it knows how this should be and that no one should do or think elseway, better leave if you do.

And if newbies are dimwitted, well, Im a newbie, so if this is all the rant of a dimwitted person, please educate me.

Upvote 0
*recovers after rubberbands split eyeballs*

Well I totally agree with you about how alot of people here think they control the game and have an elitist attitude. But you see, the point is that devs can take any feature they want, so whatever is put here is merely a suggestion/idea. If the devs put in all my ideas, I would make love with them out in the street, but I still I know it's not humanly possible. I just like to input things that sound like a fun idea to dance around, with the intention that devs might take notice. Sometimes it's just for shits and giggles. As for "go play CS", you were the one telling me to go play a racing game. It's all the same man. I am by definition still a newb because I just bought this game a couple weeks ago, and I still have problems with some stuff.

Back to the topic at hand, I would just want this because personally for me, driving is kinda boring, and I have a really hard time not tipping over with the slightest turns. Since driving is a separate role in the game (games like BF1942 has drivers that can use an mg AND the tank gun), I think adding some features wouldn't increase the learning curve, it'll just make it more fun and exciting to use. Plus, I could put my tank in low gear when I want to go slow for turning, and high gear when I want to charge, instead of constantly having to adjust the speed with the forward button by letting go and pressing it again. I dont' think it'll be difficult to learn. If it was difficult, then why would they add things like manual bayonetting, hipshooting, and IS? Why would they add certain deflection aspects, bullet time, and bullet drop, things which add difficulty to the game, if they didn't provide a certain amount of immersiveness. No I'm not saying add a crapload of buttons for tank driving so that only the coolest of people can drive it. I'm saying it should involve at least some thinking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ -MM!!-Lazarus:

I'm sure many of the suggestions made in this forum won't even be considered for the basic game. However, a lot of good ideas come up in here that would make excellent mutators/mods for servers interested in realism. I'm pretty sure there is no rush to get these out though, we all need see what the devs do in the next few months first. I'm looking forward to some really sweet realism mods in the next six months.;)

Upvote 0