• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Taking orders and use of real squad tactics

Clearing buildings.

Clearing buildings is one of the more difficult combat types in RO and indeed in the real world and I have a suggestion as how a squad should go about to do it in the game.

If possible have the machinegunner cover the entrance which will be used for entry and then use the rifle carrying squaddies to throw grenades in the building before the submachinegun wielding players enters and when inside have the riflemen cover the submachinegunners back so the only thing they will have to worry about is what lies in front of them. One important thing when using grenades in a building is that the ones who throws them should not be the ones who enters the next room as they are not immediately ready for combat due to the fact that they need to change to their primary weapon, which is why I advice that riflecarrying squadmembers throw their grenades and then the smg squaddies rush in after the grenades go off due to the smg's better close quarters capabilities. When possible the smg players should transfer their grenades to the riflemen so they at all times are ready to use the smg's on close enemies. The Squad Leader's role in clearing a building should be to provide guidance and cover for the players and should not try to actively engage in combat, unless in an emergency, or else risk loose situational awareness.

Upvote 0
Well, I like that idea!
So maybe we should collect all those ideas of teamplaying to make one "guideline", in order to help interested players to find their suffix(es).
What I found up to now is the [TT] model, which is already established, your idea of putting an behind the name and another one, talking about the usage of "Xfire" as a "meeting room".

So it might be cool to have a kind of website, used as a kind of portal, for all RO public teamplayers...
:D

Upvote 0
I'd have to say that Red Orchestra doesn't really lend itself to this kind of "realistic" teamwork. I thinkit's due to the 32 player limit. The forces which are reinacting company level engadgements are less than platoon sized. So you have to really spread out to cover most of the map. And there's no inherent framework for squad tactics. The squad leader is usually not doing anything.

Upvote 0
I'd have to say that Red Orchestra doesn't really lend itself to this kind of "realistic" teamwork. I thinkit's due to the 32 player limit. The forces which are reinacting company level engadgements are less than platoon sized. So you have to really spread out to cover most of the map. And there's no inherent framework for squad tactics. The squad leader is usually not doing anything.

Unfortunately I think you are right, the small number of players on both teams do not allow nor motivate for creating smaller squads/sections etc. and lacks effective leadership tools for which to lead said squads/sections. The game would really benefit if the number of players could be at least doubled but as I understand that is not possible due to game engine limitations.

Upvote 0
That doesn't mean that coordinated teamwork is impossible. I've been part of some of most spectacular defence battles in Berezina. Pulemetchiks and streloks kept panzergrenadiers in bay, while KVs and PT-soldats kept whacking panzers. Avtomatchiks made sure that no german who descended into trenches made it out alive. Komandirs ordered artillery and pointed out enemies for others. And Berezina is quite large map.

Upvote 0
I've had some good games with Squad leaders who give instructions, drop smoke in the right places, tell teammates the best way to the objective, and get teamates heading to the next objective in unison. Not only that, the best ones are kind of motivating and enthusiastic about it.

Of course, you tend to win all the games with that kind of person in charge.

More often than not, I think the problem is simply that no one is giving directions. I've had a lot of games with big teams and no one is in charge.
On the other hand, I have yet to have a squad leader that gave crappy directions, but then I am still relatively new

Upvote 0
ive had some good teamwork games, and some where the team is lacking in direction so i get on my teamspeek and start barking out general orders (go to the assembly hall and cap NOW!) or i as an individual person (ie a sniper to kill a mger or a sapper to blow a door). in some games we get some basic form of real squads going but thats usualy just a few guys banded together because they have teamspeek and want to work as a team.

MY suggestion to this:

give the players one or 2 minutes before starting the game to talk either via chat or team speek. this would be called a "planning phase" basically the point where the commander can either say you go here you go here, you guys team up and go here, or the people could each individually said "im gonna go here".

an alternative way to end the planning is to give a standard one minute and then let the commander choose when to say that they are ready after that one minute.

"if you fail to plan then you plan to fail" sure its a quote from comand and conquer but its total truth. with some form of a planning phase we might be able to achive more teamwork...

Upvote 0
know watcha meen, i lost a game of kransi because some frikken noob hollered that the central wasent important so we lost central, then the garage wasent important so we lost it. then i was barely able to hold on the the construction hall for 2 minutes after that, we lost with lots of reinforcements left and about 5 minutes of the clock eaten up ... FRIG i hate idiots

Upvote 0
Working with a group together on a map adds a great deal of realism. When you can work together as a a fire-tem or squad during a game makes the play much more rewarding. True....the noobs will be noobs.......but having 4 to 6 players all together working towards the same objective, now THATS a great game!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There have been very, very few good commanders in this game that have stepped forward. Playing earlier on, I recall the cream of the retarded ones shouting out orders on maps like Basovka, Odessa, Krasyni, Konigsplatz, etc.
Some of them would go ballistic if they weren't listened to and rattle off profanity like it was the end of the world or something like it. where are these clowns now? Have they learned their lesson?
The bigger joke comes when one of them will say that he's capped an objective
all by himself, and it ends up being in enemy hands just moments later! How
pathetic! If the guy was truly worth his salt he would hold that objective all by himself for the games duration. Show me a guy like that and I'll follow under his command.

Upvote 0
There have been very, very few good commanders in this game that have stepped forward. Playing earlier on, I recall the cream of the retarded ones shouting out orders on maps like Basovka, Odessa, Krasyni, Konigsplatz, etc.
Some of them would go ballistic if they weren't listened to and rattle off profanity like it was the end of the world or something like it. where are these clowns now? Have they learned their lesson?
The bigger joke comes when one of them will say that he's capped an objective
all by himself, and it ends up being in enemy hands just moments later! How
pathetic! If the guy was truly worth his salt he would hold that objective all by himself for the games duration. Show me a guy like that and I'll follow under his command.
teheheh, the commander thats up there and kicking ass with his team and respects his team? i know of about 2-3 commanders like that myself as one and 2 other guys i met while playing that i was proud to server under...

Upvote 0