• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SWAT Perk 1st Impressions

LostCyborg

Nov 10, 2012
I may have missed it, but I didn't see a thread discussing this particularly posted in the past day or so, and thought I'd throw out some feedback and open for discussion feedback on the SWAT perk, now that I've gotten to level 19.

First of all, I think this is my favorite perk so far. I think all of the perks are pretty fun to play (with the exception of firebug, but that is just me), but I absolutely love the SWAT guns. The sound effects are badass! Good job TW.

I feel like the weapons are pretty balanced as far as increasing usefulness / effectiveness per tier, with the exception of the MP5, but I tend to feel that way about most of the tier 2 weapons for a lot of the perks. It just feels like once you level up, there isn't enough of a benefit to cost ratio to spend the money on the tier 2 because your tier 1 weapon is effective enough, and its better to just keep saving for a tier 3 or 4 weapon. That said, I still have been purchasing the MP5 after the Kriss and P90 and I have plenty of extra dosh, because... let's face it... Who can resist the awesomness of that MP5 full auto 9mm sweetness going thwrump, thwrump, thrwump sound effect! But in all seriousness, the only exception to buying a tier 2 weapon prior to a 3 or 4 for me all comes down to if I die or join a game late and don't have the dosh and just need another weapon for the ammo and don't want to risk running out. The SWAT perk certainly is no exception and is especially true with the Close Combat Training skill which I'll get to in a moment.

SKILL TREE:

LEVEL 5:

So for the level 5 perk skills. I certainly find Heavy Armor Training more useful to Tactical Movement. I tend to play with no cross hairs and only aim down sites when I can afford to not move or afford to move slowly, and just walk my rounds onto the target visually when firing from the hip. I thought I might really like the Tactical Movement for this reason, because it'd be cool to be very accurate and move fast. What I've found though is that if I'm not aiming down the sites, I'm sprinting, and then Tactical Movement becomes useless to me. So Heavy Armor is my preference. Now with Heavy Armor my only complaint is the indication that you are being hit, and your armor is taking damage. Sometimes I've had a crawler or stalker that snuck up behind me and shreds it to nothing before I notice they are there. It just seems like you need more feedback while you still have armor. I also haven't quite unlocked the level 20 Assault armor skill yet, so I'm wondering honestly if this is going to make SWAT feel a little too OP. It might make sense to simply greatly reduce the health damage you take while you have armor rather than eliminate health damage completely. Maybe reduce the health damage taken while wearing armor with Heavy Armor Training down to 10%? I don't know, this is just a thought.

LEVEL 10:

For level 10 I absolutely love the Close Combat Training skill, however I personally feel like it shouldn't spawn you with dual 9mm. I mean, I'm not complaining. It's feels equivalent to spawning with dual 1911's with bigger magazines. I just think with the increase in damage it would be more balanced if the player had to purchase a dual 9mm rather than spawning with it. That's simply my humble opinion. It nearly makes it logical no matter what perk you are planning to play in a game, to simply spawn as SWAT with Close Combat enabled for wave 1 and sell the 9mm and switch perks between wave 1 and 2 to gain the extra bit of dosh plus allow you to kill most of the wave 1 clots with your knife to save ammo.

Now I'm going to go off topic for a moment, but had to mention this... Similarly to how each perk has a unique knife, I would love it if each perk had a unique backup pistol. They don't have to be different in damage dealt, mag capacity or anything like that. It would just be super cool. I mean a 9mm is a 9mm is a 9mm, so one perk could carry a Sig P226, one a Glock 17, another the Beretta 92, a CZ 75 or P06, someone else an FN9. You get my drift. I know this is a lot of work for the dev's, and you guys at TW put a lot into each weapon... but boy... would that be cool! Just a little request, when you guys have the time.

I think Tactical Reload makes the level 10 skill tree a tough choice, and is very well balanced between the two. I have my preference and don't see the need to switch, but I can see why some may prefer Tactical Reload, or to start with Close Combat and switch at a later wave. Personally I'll add that one thing I really like about the Close Combat Training perk, is that even after I purchase an MP5, P90 and Kriss, I still have a very useful 9mm backup weapon I can rely on if the Shazizzle goes south and I need every bullet to count.

LEVEL 15:

My preference is Suppression Rounds. I know some people hate the stumble, but man if you are going solo on HoE and dealing with 3 FP's at some point, that stumble skill can make the difference to survive the wave. With Close Combat Training, I really haven't run into an issue with ammo. If you have a P90 and Kriss in late waves, the stock ammo amount seems to be sufficient, even if it does get a little sketchy towards the end of a wave... but that is one thing that makes the game a challenge. However, I can see why some may prefer the extra ammo, and how it would come in useful at times, so I think the choices are pretty well balanced.

I haven't unlocked LEVEL 20 yet, but probably will today and have some feedback at that point. I already see myself leaning towards Assault Armor rather than Cripple, but I'll need to try them both out to see. I can see either being very helpful in extending your life expectancy in game.

As for LEVEL 25, I can't wait to try the Battering Ram in zed time! It just sounds fun to body check a Scrake.

Those are my two cents for now. I'd love to hear other's feedback as well.

I'm only level seven,so I can't really speak about his skills just yet.

As the perk itself... It's pretty good. It does a great job at crowd control and is a very useful perk to use. Along with his awesome MP7, his level 5 armor bonus makes him the best perk to begin the match with (along with maybe the medic) .

His weapons are fairly responsive and fun to use too (but it doesn't come as a surprise knowing Tripwire) . However,I do think that they feel very similar... Besides small changes in mag sizes and damages, they all play in a very similar way. It comes out as a bit "boring" . In fact,I often skip the MP5 altogether because the MP7 is good enough until I got enough money to purchase the P90.

The other thing that annoys me is that I think the perk is quite similar to the commando and it almost comes out as a matter of personnal preference as to which perk you like the most. They have a very similar role and their weapons aren't that far either. I'll probably rethink about that when I'll level up a bit (since the commando is mostly team-based while the SWAT is either a tank or a crippler) , but for now I don't really see why I should pick a perk over the other.

Upvote 0
Very fun perk, but it has quite a bit of buggs and oddities here and there. most noticeable not getting bonus to perk weapon dmg. skill tree doesn't feel as good or exiting on contrast, except for a few exceptions.

After quite a bit of playing, i really feel that the MP5 should be the T1 and the MP7 the T2, i love using both, but overall the MP7 is a lot more useful with just 2 minus points of dmg, maybe this would change if the passives work like described, but still hard to say with the different clip size.

on skills i overall start on the left side and swith to the right after 1 or 2 waves, feels more practical

L5: i'm not that much into losing full armor, it's bad for your bank and whatnot, it can be usefull but i feel pampered, Tactical movement is awesome and fun to use, it reduces your sprint time to only when you really need it, i liked firing from the hip, but i dont really like the recoil system for it. not the amount, but the fact that you have little control of the bullet spread (can't really compensate).

L10: i like close combat too, but on the other side it feels too strong and takes away from SMG fun time, it even feels stronger than gunslinger t2 somewhat. the fast reload is quite good too.

L15: i'm not convinced either way here, this was one i was not looking forward too.

more to come

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2267221 said:
However,I do think that they feel very similar... Besides small changes in mag sizes and damages, they all play in a very similar way. It comes out as a bit "boring" . In fact,I often skip the MP5 altogether because the MP7 is good enough until I got enough money to purchase the P90.
MP7 and MP5 have the exact same shots to kill for trash. Even DPS is the same. So if a player doesn't want to replace the MP7 by the MP5 the MP5 will most likely be skipped. It is an interesting offperk sidearm though as the burst fire decaps gores with one click.

With the T3 and T4 guns its pretty much the same. Shots to kill identical on trash - marginally different on larger zeds. So the one is about higher DPS and the other about sustained fire rate.

From what I hear most players seem to prefere the MP7 over the MP5 because of the sights and magazine size.

MP5 should at least have significantly more total ammo to make it somehow attractive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2267261 said:
MP7 and MP5 have the exact same shots to kill for trash. So if a player doesn't want to replace the MP7 by the MP5 the MP5 will most likely be skipped. It is an interesting offperk sidearm though as the burst fire decaps gores with one click.

might be to the fact that the perk bonus dmg is not working, but if it's fixed then the SWAT might end too strong and need to be tweaked. that gore 1 click sounds interesting, on the other hand you might want to constantly switch fire modes since the mp5 has a lower clip size, that could be fun on its own.

Upvote 0
I am in the very beginning of the perk but I feel it like its just the comm with different weapons. Yes I get that the SWAT gets tanky down the road but his role remains almost the same as the comm's role except it can tank like medic but you know we have a medic for that job.

Looking at the bigger picture now I don't see how the SWAT could fit after all, if we already have commando.

Upvote 0
Rattler;n2267270 said:
I am in the very beginning of the perk but I feel it like its just the comm with different weapons. Yes I get that the SWAT gets tanky down the road but his role remains almost the same as the comm's role except it can tank like medic but you know we have a medic for that job.

Looking at the bigger picture now I don't see how the SWAT could fit after all, if we already have commando.
For now the SWAT looks like a bodyshot variant of the mando which is not that much of a variation. I suppose with the release of the shield the SWAT will become the unraging facetank, since the medic lost its armor regeneration. Bottom line is that SWAT/Mando is a sidegrade split what Slinger/Sharps is (or better should be).

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2267265 said:
25% on top of both guns will still keep them equal.
They're not actually equal.
20dmg mp7, 22dmg mp5, 30dmg p90, 33dmg kriss.
MP5/MP7 are close enough that it takes the same amount of shots for crawlers/clots/cysts/slashers, but mp5 4shots stalkers while mp7 takes 5.

I think 25% added would actually equalize them more, making both 3shot clots/cysts/slashers, 4shot stalkers, 2shot crawlers, and 2headshot gorefasts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Chrys[ITA said:
;n2267364]Damage boost on SWAT should be deleted. With large mags is & damage boost is OP. So leaving large mags as passive skill it should be more balanced

Dmg boost is currently not working, so what you propose is the current state, not sure if large mags is working as intended or not, so too soon to tell, also you can notice some lack of power at times, but not in every difficulty/player setting.

Upvote 0
Mp5 damage should be raised to 25-27, for Kriss - to 35.
Tactical Reload on mp5 and p90 look meh, the magazine in view model falls so unnaturaly, you can clearly say that it is a part on model animation, esp. when you look up and reload the mag still falls down like if you aim horizontally.
Armor skill is meh too, not a huge fan of loosing armor very quickly. Armor by default has pretty good absorb rate. You rarely has low HP and full armor anyway.

That some minor nitpicks of mine.

Upvote 0
im lvl 20 SWAT now and im actually pretty underwhelmed by the perk mostly because of the skill tree. the weapons are fine, i really like the kriss but the skills are just too weak, compare lvl 20 skills of mando and you see he gets 25% more dmg and 50% less recoil whereas with swat you get 50% more armor which lets you survive one more fleshpound hit and thats it, or even worse the skill cripple which is a worse version of the gunslingers skullcracker because it forces you to focus legs instead of heads to be most effective. the rest of the skills are ok-ish cant really complain but they arent exactly great either.

tl;dr its mainly the lvl 20 skills that seem way too weak, 50% extra armor is arguably worse than the support lvl 10 skill 50% more health, since medics can no longer repair armor. and yes i konw you also spawn with more armor but that imo doesnt make much of a difference. when you look at swat by itself it looks decent but once you compare it to other perks its clearly weaker

Upvote 0
Here are a few more thoughts on SWAT and new perks as they're added. I understand why people look to a new perk to add a new dynamic to the game. However, unless they're going to go down a road to really make some crazy perk that drastically changes mechanics, I don't see that as an option. Perhaps I'm simply not that creative in my vision of what this game is. We sort of have 3 or 4 options or roles at least when it comes to klling zeds.

1. You shoot zeds.
2. You blow zeds up.
3. You hit zeds with a melee weapon.
4. You burn zeds.

Now when it comes to playing on a team there are a few dynamics to be added and certain perks add to that.

I can...
1. Be a trash killer.
2. Be backup to my team and do things like focus on bigger zeds (bloats, sirens, husk) and adding in a hand when the trash gets super thick.
3. Heal my team.
4. Focus on big zeds (FP's and Scrakes)

Personally, I think anyone can do all of those things fairly well, but certain perks lend themselves to doing certain things more efficiently than others. Obviously the medic is best at healing the team, but I've played plenty of games with no medic and taken on the responsibility to try to keep the team healed. If you play solo with each perk you'll find they can all do everything when it comes to killing decently. Demo has a challenge to kill trash in the first couple of waves, and Firebug has a weak spot versus husks in my opinion, but that's only until they get a bigger guns.

When it comes to SWAT, I'm personally enjoying the fact that its very similar to commando, plus with close combat, a little like gunslinger, but that's just me. I like the guns. Give me more guns. I also really could care less about damage multipliers. I'd honestly prefer if they made the weapons a little more realistic and simply multiplied damage per shot and maybe had certain advantage against certain targets based on ballistics. A 5.7 did a little less damage than a 9mm, or 45, but has better penetration on armored targets. Damage in time would be related to lower recoil, rate of fire, etc... Then you'd see a slight difference between the MP7, MP5, P90 and Kriss Vector, but not a lot. In the end it may simply come down to preference and what you like to use best. What can I say... I'd love some realism in my zombie killing. :) I'm waiting for a game to go as far as to keep track of how many magazines you have for a weapon, and how many rounds you have in each, rather than give you an easy reload with a full one each time, as if you have a magic Mary Poppins bag full of magazines, with a cute little furry troll inside that consolidates all your rounds into fully loaded mags.

I do forsee the skill tree getting tweaked a bit down the road for SWAT. Between Heavy Armor and Assault Armor, its nice it stacks, but kind of boring. As far as losing armor goes, no one wants to lose armor, however it is nearly impossible to avoid sometimes on the higher difficulties. A couple of crawlers or stalkers, or combination of both will shred it to gone in a blink of an eye on HoE. Strategically SWAT can use his armor up tanking an FP and taking the hit to end a rage and give the team a chance to get space in order to take it down. So that skill has some serious tactical usefulness.

Upvote 0