• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Suggestions to balance flamethrower.

lazerBAR

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
The range and deadliness of the flamethrower is fine, it just needs some tweaking to balance it out and make it more realistic.

1. It needs stronger/higher recoil, IRL the flamethrower was very hard to use because it gave a strong recoil.

2. Make it slower than an mg class, currently its too easy to run around with it and puff puff.

3. Make it so you have to actually aim or "brace" the flamerthrower before firing, this should take down the turning flame windmill and with the recoil should be more realistic way for controling it, since irl, it was hard to control.

4. AMERICANS SHOULD ONLY HAVE FLAMETHROWERS ON MAPS WHERE THEY ATTACK. It doesnt make sense that they have one to defend with against the japanese.

This should make the flamethrower a more balanced,realistic,and vital class for the Americans instead of a joke.

Discuss.

I agree, excellent ideas!.... and how about a little more bang when he gets shot in the back too....a certain explosion that engulfs him and anyone in a 15 foot radius? .....that so his team (as in real life) will tend to keep their distance from him when the lead starts flying I want everyone looking in his general direction on a map with a fairly clear line of sight to him, to be like "oh ****, they got one of the flamethrower guys!, no doubt bout it" It should be just as dangerous to the operator and the people right near him, as it is to the enemy, make it to where most people avoid using that class, and that only people that truely understand how to utilize it will choose it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with everything. Another thing I'd like to add is the danger of using it in close quarters. Using a flamethrower inside buildings or close to the enemy should kill you. If you hit something, be it an object or an enemy, less than 5m away from you, you should get burned as well. I've seen far too many people using a flamethrower as if it was an SMG and succeeding.

Upvote 0
A bullet hitting metal / rocks tends to make a lot of pretty sparks.

One chap from my local rifle club managed to start a small forest fire a few years back during a dry day.
I Don't know if napalm is that easy to ignite, but even if it is, the worst case scenario would probably be a jet of burning Napalm coming out of the tank, as the mixture inside the tanks doesn't contain enough oxygen to let it burn there and rupture the tanks.
The only way I see to explode a FT would be to toss it into a fire untill the pressure rips the tanks apart and the boiling napalm is thrown around and ignited.

Upvote 0
I agree, excellent ideas!.... and how about a little more bang when he gets shot in the back too....a certain explosion that engulfs him and anyone in a 15 foot radius? .....that so his team (as in real life) will tend to keep their distance from him when the lead starts flying I want everyone looking in his general direction on a map with a fairly clear line of sight to him, to be like "oh ****, they got one of the flamethrower guys!, no doubt bout it" It should be just as dangerous to the operator and the people right near him, as it is to the enemy, make it to where most people avoid using that class, and that only people that truely understand how to utilize it will choose it

Flamethrowers when shot in the back, did not explode into a ball of fire.
They just detonated, and worked like a grenade.
It would kill its user, and blow away anyone around him, but not set on fire like you see in the movies.

Upvote 0