• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stupid americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wonders of video editing.

Sad but true. Alot of Americans just aren't inclined or interested in anything but their own daily lives. But on top of that our education really is terrible (well at least when I was in school it was). Sure there are many knowledgeable Americans but they aren't the majority. I mean my parents are in their late 50's now and they still know **** all (next to nothing) about the outside world. It's pretty sad. Just current buzz words/topics "the Iraq and such". Basically gov education won't make you too smart, you have to take it upon yourself if you are interested.

I dont know why you gave that link a serious reply. Also you don't speak for all of us.

Upvote 0
in another one of these "stupid americans" movies they give the same questionnair to a class of 15 year olds in belgium and to a class a 15 year olds in america.
the belgian kids found it easy and had a high average score, while the american kids thought it was hard and they didn't even get 50% i believe.
it's almost like they don't want you to think by yourself, and it's working really good. how else can one explain why the americans don't react to what their government is doing. :p

if you get angry at this, then i was absolutely right.

Upvote 0
Well you'll find dumbs in every country, nevertheless there are tests conducted worldwide and there the puplis questionend in the US are very bad.
Hmm I need to find that pdf-file on my hd.

Edit: Ok, found it: "National Geographic — Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey"

Best part is this:
U.S. Population Estimates
age 18-24

30% of the asked believe that the US has 1-2 billion citizens, while only 25% of the asked got the correct answer "150-300 million".
The people asked in other countries scored higher on the same question, they knew better how many people live in the US than the asked US-citizens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
here are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

here are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Depending on which portion of our society you sample you will get different results. Until the Belgian flag flies on the moon and Belgian robots are sending back data from Mars, they can stick to making really good chocolate.

Upvote 0
It's a wonder Americans achieve anything at all, isn't it?

Perhaps instead of finding ways to attack the already all-too-easy American stereotype, why don't they do something helpful for the world with their vast intelligence instead of following the Michael Moore bandwagon.

Americans don't seem to care about much outside of America? Considering that this comes up every other day, it doesn't seem like Europeans care about much outside of America either.

Upvote 0
We do not have an inviolable class structure here. Every American is born a member of the leading class and is able to rise or fall, to lead or follow, according to his circumstances and effort.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Just because hard ideas are being discussed is no reason to stop talking.

Upvote 0
Even if this video does only focus on stereotypes there is some truth in it as well.
It seems that the American education system has a lot of problems, or maybe it's just bad luck that they only asked the wrong people in the Roper Survey.

What I am not saying is that "Americans" are stupid, but rather that it seems that there are more "stupid" in America (percentage wise) than in other western countries.
And by "stupid" I mean the knowledge of the people.

Upvote 0

Even if this video does only focus on stereotypes there is some truth in it as well.
It seems that the American education system has a lot of problems, or maybe it's just bad luck that they only asked the wrong people in the Roper Survey.

What I am not saying is that "Americans" are stupid, but rather that it seems that there are more "stupid" in America (percentage wise) than in other western countries.
And by "stupid" I mean the knowledge of the people.

Back this up with unbiased statistics.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.