• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Strafing is not hard enough..

IIRC while stargfing in RO you have already speed penalty. Only possible thing to make it less-usable would be to decrease accuracy while strafing.

Problems are, that 1. everyone is an invidual. Some people might be able to sidestep without any problems while some are clumsy and cannot perform that. Even with all gear added you would carry during the second world war (or with modern armies, similiar idea still), some might still be able to do that, while some instantly fails.

This leads to a problem that we need like 1000 random profiles that are given to each one that varies their psychical ability. Of course, the biggest problem of this issue is that we would need more realistic stamina system, which IS impossible to implement the proper way. You need to take so damm much crap into account that 90% servers would be overloaded already by the fact the game needs to calculate too much crap. Also add some firefights and voilah, servers are turned into coffeymaking machines or eggcookers. Varying stamina might be suitable, but that's still far from realistic and I can imagine the amount of whining it might cause.

And now this leads the problem that RO is just a game. Yes, this is retarded and overrated argument, but it is just sad fact. Sure we want to improve the realism, but it is ironic that more realism -> more balance. Sure some people might say "screw the balance", but I doubt that might do any good. Sure the hardcore armchairrealismgenerals might be happy, but what about those who draw logical line between gameplay and realism?

Oh... _those_. Screw them! Realism ftw! Super hard-core analic authenticity ftw also!

Really, no matter how much we discuss this we are handicapped by some major facts. I don't mind improvements, but be realistic. Strafing is there for the fact that you can't properly implement basic body-head functions in a simple FPS game, unless if you want to make similiar system as in OFP, that you need to use keypad to turn your head around while not moving your body. Oh sorry, I forgot if you do that you need to let go of your mouse for a second. How unrealistic it seems that with that your reflexes are way worse than they might be. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The topic is not about running in one direction and glancing in another...

Yes it is, because that is exactly what strafing allows us to do, have you even read all the posts in this thread?

Without strafing, our allready serious lack of perephial vision becomes even worse! the only thing that saves us right now is being able to turn our body (and therefor field of view) to the side whilst on the move.

In real life, we have a field of view of about 180 degree's, and about 120 degree's of that is "good vision" that we can see clearly whilst the rest picks up movement, in game we only have 85 degree's of vision, and we are locked at that since we cannot turn our head to the sides, strafing allows us to see more without changing direction, its not a perfect system, but it is much better than locking us at only 85 degree's of vision.

Ofcourse the ideal system would be to use TrackIR support, but i think it will be a cold day in hell before TWI makes that a necessity to play RO, the game is nieche market enough, it would be even more neiche market if it could only be fully enjoyed by people who own a TrackIR system.

But dont take my word for it, try it yourself, boot up RO, unbind your strafe keys, and then start a practice match against some bots (or join a server if you dont mind getting your arse kicked a bit), see how it actually plays.. i can promis you that you will be annoyed by the constant "tunnel vision" that you are suffering from, and will realize just how often you use your strafing, not to sidestep, but to see!

Upvote 0
The topic is about making the player tired when running and sidestepping ( not to be confused with running forward while turning your head and looking in another direction), in the same manner as when sprinting as this is what happens in real life due to the fact that the legs are not optimized to move the body sideways but designed, by evolution, to move the body forward.
The ability to move sideways or strafe will not dissapear but will limit the gamey zig-zagging players to use more realistic tactical movement when running.

Instead of using gamey movements players should learn how to cover each others movements when advancing or retreating.
Zig zagging in the real world is a sure way to get killed as the exposure time to enemy fire is much longer than running directly to the place of cover etc. etc. and contrary to popular belief it is not particular hard to hit zig zagging targets in real life but due to game mechanics it is unrealisticly difficult to do so in RO and that is why it is my opinion that strafing players should be penalized by fatigue when doing so.

Upvote 0
*sigh* they are still not sepperate issues, notmatter how much you try to make them, fact is, nomatter how fast i run, i still have a 180 degree's field of view in real life, AND i can turn my head to see even more if i want to, limit strafing durring sprint, and you are taking that abillity away! and i can only see 85 degree's straight forward.

If you really want to limit zigzag sprinting, impliment momentum so it takes time to change direction when you have build up some speed, that would work without giving us tunel vision, and has worked well in the past with other games such as Infiltration, thats actually a good idea for a change..

Upvote 0
We already have a momentum system. Since 3.3 of the mod if I remember correctly.

Its not very effective though, is it? you have to really look for it to notice its there, so its not doing a great deal.. and it shoulden't normally, its only when sprinting it should really kick into action.

Using momentum in a smart way is the way forward if you want to combat zig-zagging, because thats whats at stake here, momentum is why you cannot zig-zag very well in real life at any high speed, thus it only makes sense to make momentum work for us here too.

But the important word here is "smart", it has to be done in a good way or we'll feel like we're ice skating instead of sprinting, but it can be done.

Upvote 0
*sigh* they are still not sepperate issues, notmatter how much you try to make them, fact is, nomatter how fast i run, i still have a 180 degree's field of view in real life, AND i can turn my head to see even more if i want to, limit strafing durring sprint, and you are taking that abillity away! and i can only see 85 degree's straight forward.

If you really want to limit zigzag sprinting, impliment momentum so it takes time to change direction when you have build up some speed, that would work without giving us tunel vision, and has worked well in the past with other games such as Infiltration, thats actually a good idea for a change..

Good idea!

Upvote 0
Zigzagging =/= Strafing.

You can zigzag without strafing very easily. The problem you are talking about is not strafing, but people changing directions while running. As it stands, people do seem to change directions a little too easily, but I don't really see it as any kind of major problem.

The reason why I use "strafing" as my word of choice is that the gamey zig zaggin is performed using the strafe keys "a" and "d" which is not actually changing the players direction like when zig-zagging normally which involves turning the whole body but instead the player is still lookng in the same direction while sidestepping - Ok strafing was not the best choice of phrase but it was what came closest to mind at the moment of writing the topic.

Upvote 0