• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still tip-of-head point of view. Why?

kabex said:
You're suggesting for a system similar to Operation Flashpoint? it has true first person view, very few games have that.

"true first person view" is where the camera is exactly between your eyes, you can see your body, feet, arms, look down and see your weapon in 3d instead of a first person model, etc.

That would require a lot of coding but yeah it's a lot easier to fix the system currently in. :D

Ya, but it would be so worth it.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
That would require a lot of coding but yeah it's a lot easier to fix the system currently in. :D
Isn't it just putting the camera actor between the eyes? :D

You'd also be able to see your own helmet then...
This would pwn, and it would makes sure that there are no crappy third-person animations! :eek:

Then you could replace third-person models with first-person models! :)

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3
You'd also be able to see your own helmet then...
This would pwn, and it would makes sure that there are no crappy third-person animations! :eek:
Yeah you can see your helmet when you die, in first person mode, I don't know why we can't just see a tiny bit at the top of your screen jostling back and forth when we are alive, that would add a ton to the atmosphere.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
Yeah you can see your helmet when you die, in first person mode, I don't know why we can't just see a tiny bit at the top of your screen jostling back and forth when we are alive, that would add a ton to the atmosphere.
Body awareness would be great, I think atm it's one of the most wanted features and it covers alot of gameplay issues which really endanger RO. (Popup shooting, leaning without being noticed, etc)

I hope it will be fixed soon, before any new material is made...
If not, then it might be a good idea for the Unreal Engine 3.0 title. :)

Upvote 0
quite frankly before this I would like to have it so the WHOLE rifle or the muzzle has to be clear of whatever you're hiding behind for you to shoot. Right now, on like the Admin building at Stalingrad, if youre a russkie, and there's a Gerry in one of those little windows, all it takes is a little portion of his helmet sticking out for him to be able to shoot you. This would tie in with modeling collisions realistically with the rifle.

Upvote 0
Capt.Marion said:
quite frankly before this I would like to have it so the WHOLE rifle or the muzzle has to be clear of whatever you're hiding behind for you to shoot. Right now, on like the Admin building at Stalingrad, if youre a russkie, and there's a Gerry in one of those little windows, all it takes is a little portion of his helmet sticking out for him to be able to shoot you. This would tie in with modeling collisions realistically with the rifle.
Yes, that is all part of body awareness. :)

Atm, the bullets come out of the helmet somehow. :D

Upvote 0
Well I'm wondering somthing about this topic. I too have noticed many games do this where the view is actually in the forehead or the chin or somthing like that.

But what I'm wondering is why whould you have to change the third-person models to first-person models just because you move the view a few inches up or down? I dont understand why thats a requirement of being in between the eyes.

Just have it the way it is now with both first-person and third-person models seperate and just move the viewn a little bit. If worst comes to worst you could allways move the view a little bit inside the model but still between the eyes.

But I like that atmosphere idea with the helmet on your head, maybe seeing yuor feet would be nice too.

Again, I dont see why you would have to make such a drastic graphics change for moving the view a little bit.

Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
Cleft_Asunder said:
First of all, lets just get this out of the way: I'm not bitching, I simply want to turn a great game into a --hopefully-- masterpiece. The community in general has high standards, and that is a good thing.

Okay, so what do I mean in the title? Well I've talked about this in the old forums in regards to the mod, which also had it, but I don't remember the conclusion. To be specific, you are NOT looking through your avatars (soldiers) eyes. Rather, you are looking through the top-TIP of the helmet. How do I know this? Simple, I play the game and I notice instances where I'm getting shot at by a few pixels, even though in real life you would need to expose your head AT LEAST to fire your weapon.

You probably have, or definitely will, run into occassions where you can't see ANY part of the enemy except a couple of pixels, but the enemy can see you entirely through those pixels, and you get killed by him through a severe disadvantage. I've noticed that in the prone position this is especially true.

Like I said, a soldier should have to reveal his head at least to make a shot using iron sight. What do you guys think?

1)Why is this the norm for most, if not all, FPS's?

2)Is there something technically wrong with putting the FOV at eye level?

I know exactly what you mean!
I hate getting shot when I only see enemy helmet, no gun - just helmet or cap.

Upvote 0
The upcoming new BIA, Hell's Highway, is going to have full avatar and this kind of camera work, it looks sweet. For some reason I get the impression that it is a engine limitation, just imagine what TW can do with UE3. I'd also like to see a true Iron sights perspective, wherea bit of the stock and the trigger hand are in full view. I did some concept art for the idea but I can't figure out how to host images.

Upvote 0
Heya. Yoshiro, I'm not sure if you worked with the modeling and engine. But if you can explain why most FPS do not have eye level cameras it would be very insightfull. One of those things I have always wondered about and because RO staff are so responsive compared to other companies i figuered I'd have a better chance of figuering out this mystery here than any other gaming company.

Upvote 0
The_Cook said:
Heya. Yoshiro, I'm not sure if you worked with the modeling and engine. But if you can explain why most FPS do not have eye level cameras it would be very insightfull. One of those things I have always wondered about and because RO staff are so responsive compared to other companies i figuered I'd have a better chance of figuering out this mystery here than any other gaming company.
Because most games are blatantly copying Quake...

Crosshairs, everything! :eek:

Upvote 0
Well, I think it might have been a bit of a design compromise for Unreal Tournament to never have eye-level camera (you were actually looking out from inside the avatar's stomach). This was done because:
1. Different models had different eye level
2. Weapons shot from roughly the middle of the avatar, so the crosshair would not be in the center if the camera was at eye level
However, it is entirely possible to place the camera between the eyes - I think the only reason it's not done in RO is because there is a slight error and it simply wasn't placed correctly and then no one noticed.
Incidentally, it IS also possible to have "true first person" in Unreal engine games (hell, it was possible in Unreal 1 - in fact, I've done it), but this would lead to a reduction in detail level for first-person models. However, considering the quality of current third-person models, this reduction may not be too severe.

Upvote 0
Yeah i think so too.

Also consider, that if the camera was at eye level but the gun at hip level that would mean the crosshair would only represent the point of impact of your bullets at one specific distance (like real life iron sights do), before that range the impact would be below and after it would be higher than the crosshair. FPS like UT don't want that.

Thinking of it this might also be the reason why all guns in RO are zeroed at 0m.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting discussion, but unfortunately I don't think there's been any PROOF that this is happening (which may explain why none of the Tripwire staff have posted here).

I would like to propose that we set up a test to see what is ACTUALLY happening in the game. Unfortunately, I do not have two copies of ostfront (nor two computers capable of running it). But I do have ONE copy and the ability to record video files.

Would anyone be willing to do some testing with me? We can jump onto an empty server and then do some screeshots/video capture of EXACTLY what is seen between first and third person.

I should be available to do this testing tonight (assuming I get my power supply working again). Anyone interested should e-mail me directly ([email protected]). I'll try to be available so we can set up the test. It should only take about 10 minutes (fameous last words, I know).

Upvote 0
Eater1 said:
but this would lead to a reduction in detail level for first-person models. However, considering the quality of current third-person models, this reduction may not be too severe.
Why? Just use the original third-person body and use first-person weapons... ^^

The third-person body looks good enough for first person IMHO.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the bump, but I just had to post this:

roviewbug4ip.jpg

No pixels at all, and the soldier has plenty of room under his sights. In this case you would see his gun sticking through the bath tub, but with something a bit thicker giving protection there would be no indication whatsoever!

Upvote 0