• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still cheaper to rebuy crossbow

it's not powerful enough to justify that kid of price. it's not a damage dealer like the katana or hunting shotty or LAW.

Two words: Infinite Penetration.

Flamethrower caps out at 2. Shotguns cap out at 3 or 4. In a long hallway, I've seen Crossbows hit upwards of 15 zeds with one shot! In the right circumstance, it's ridiculously powerful. Not quite $1,000, but more than $400.

I think having to pay the ammo price was meant to be a balancing factor for the low weapon cost, but with the sell/rebuy trick, it's not even significant...

It really needs looked at for balance reasons, IMO...

Upvote 0
it's not powerful enough to justify that kid of price. it's not a damage dealer like the katana or hunting shotty or LAW.

Wat.

The crossbow can and will one-shot a Scrake on Normal. The scrakes on Hard don't fair much better either.

If you aren't raping face left and right with the crossbow you're doing it wrong.

Also I must agree with the notion of making crossbow ammo cheaper. IT being cheaper to sell and rebuy a weapon is a bit nutty.

Upvote 0
Wat.

The crossbow can and will one-shot a Scrake on Normal. The scrakes on Hard don't fair much better either.

If you aren't raping face left and right with the crossbow you're doing it wrong.

Also I must agree with the notion of making crossbow ammo cheaper. IT being cheaper to sell and rebuy a weapon is a bit nutty.

That's with the sharpshooter perk. Therefore it's only powerful 1/6th of the time as it is not very powerful in the hands of the other perks. Therefore it's not powerful enough of the time to justify that kind of price.

Upvote 0
A decent level Sharpshooter can one-shot ANYTHING short of a Fleshpound or the Patriarch with a single crossbow shot, even on Suicidal. ANYTHING. It's definitely powerful enough to warrant a cost increase...

Actually it takes one shot to kill the scrake only till 5 player suicidal. Once there's 6 players, it takes 1 shot to stun it and another to take it down.

But yea I agree about the crossbow being an amazing weapon, overpowered even I'd say. Best weapon in the game if you know how to aim. Sharpshooter with xbow is absolutely necessary on suicidal to take down the huge number of scrakes. The amount of time the beserker spends or ammo the other classes use to kill scrakes on suicidal just does not cut it.

I agree a weapon price increase with ammo cost decrease would make sense. But I wouldn't support it because I love the class so much :D

Upvote 0
I think the Crossbow has got bad enough drawbacks as it is.

First one is the slow(ish) reload. Has anyone noticed it only does 300 (+perk bonus) damage if you miss the head? If this happens you will be in a hurry to take the enemy down.

In other words, it is a "hit or die" weapon against scrakes and fleshpounds. And if you miss a lot, then you waste a lot of precious ammunition. Which brings me to drawback #2.

A low ammunition capacity. 40 arrows are a good amount, if you manage to line up the specimens and you can recover at least a few bolts during the wave. If you end up in close combat, you will notice your handcannons will run out of bullets very fast.

Infinite arrow penetration is a nice feature, but I'd say that the situation where 15 specimens line up is a VERY rare sight, hardly enough to justify a radical price increase. and when it happens, the SharpShooter can pat himself on the back for an excellent spot to defend. I'd say crossbow is just about right at the moment. :)

Might as well shout "Narf Shotgun and Hutnig Shotgnu plx!" because you can kill several specimens with them at once as well. :p

Upvote 0
Pah!

I say the simplest solution would be for a fresh crossbow to not come with full ammo. Make it come with, say, 30 out of 40 bolts. It's meant to be a balancing factor for having such a powerful weapon, so let it act out it's role.

Besides, I personally have never really needed to buy ammo anyway. I use the 9mm as my main, and handcannons for close combat, so the crossbow is only for scrakes, distant fleshpounds, and patty (and the rare cases where there's a huge lineup). Therefore, I don't use a lot of ammo, and what I do is easily made up by grabbing an ammo box. They give you a whopping 10(!!!!) bolts, so it's definitely worth it. (Though it sucks when I'm saving an ammo box for later when I need it and a teammate grabs it in the beginning of the wave).

Upvote 0