• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam sales!

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Share what booty ye've picked up this steam sale.

So far I've blown the bank on Alan wake, mirrors edge, some kf dlc, some tropico 4 dlc and garys mod ( because people keep telling me to get that ).

All for around 22$...

I have to say though, mirrors edge seemed great until the game just kept on adding more and more and more combat to the game. It's got me tingling with anger at how EA manages to literally counter midas touch every cool idea they ever have into utter steaming ****. Portal's brilliance was as a puzzler, with some occasional turrets that fit into the puzzle, while still remaining puzzle centric. It just feels like mirrors edge was all like hey parkour... actually wait this is ea, GUNS GALORE!

*le sigh* rage off, sorry... that just hurts me to see something ruined by a few idiotic decisions. oh well I've still got a few other goodies in the pile to try..

Deus Ex and Chivlary. :)

Yeah I noticed Dues Ex on sale, I've never played any of them.. guess I'l start picking them up in time for next sale..

Hm, can't agree on mirrors edge, having played through it twice. While more and more enemies do in fact show up, I can think of only one instance wher you had to actually use guns instead of evading/knocking out guards.

I got myself Hotline Miami and Dishonored.

Well I realized with mirrors edge that one particular spot I was stuck on was a place where you were supposed to run instead of dealing with the baddies, I was also having a small glitch of a problem that was keeping me from doing the escaping. ( right after you discover icarus and the 5 or 6 of the runner like enforcers are on your tail ). I was thinking for a while there that I was going to have to defeat all 6 of them simultaneously... :eek: ( My fps instincts of kill everything then leave the area were over powering.. )

I do have to say on that note though, I think I've been spoiled by games like portal 2 where they deliberately had you see or perform small part tasks and then later presented you with a situation where you needed to combine them or do it again really fast; but you were being primed to know what to do. The technique made for a gameplay that really flowed as you were very carefully being "helped" in all the problems you were going to meet up with. Mirrors edge didn't go to quite such detail; the fight training was in the beginning and you only really need some of those moves later when you fight the blond girl ( who's name i forget ). especially if you're a lazy twit like me and you just take the first blue's gun and use it to shoot the second then use his gun to shoot the next * rinse & repeat as needed *.

Upvote 0
Lets see...

- C&C: Red alert 3 - Uprising 50% off

- Castle crashers 66% off

- Civ 5 + Gods and kings 75% off

Red alert was a bit of a sleeper with me, I hate the C&C universe but just the adrenaline fueled obesity of the WWlll cold war really seems to be fun! Hating how difficult the campaign ramps up to be though, only at 3rd Soviet mission and Allies are already spamming future death walkers of time stopping and death. I've heard the original RA:3 is much better SP wise, but that wasn't on sale :(

Civ 5 is the first civ game I've played since Civ3:pTW, it's changed a lot, it's changed a whole heap, and I've still got to play it more to get a good review on it, but I am liking a lot of what i see!

Upvote 0
Nothing. Bought Flaming Cliffs 3 beta off of ED's website at full price because there is nothing out that I want. Worth the price, though I noticed that Gamefly sells their titles where you can use your 20% off coupons and save some. Something I'll keep in mind next time.

I would recommend both Deus EX Human Revolution (game + DLCs were ~ $10 a few days ago), Alan Wake & American Nightmare, and Dishonored.

Upvote 0
Hmm lets see.

Gods and Kings (missed the 75% and had to settle for $14.99 :mad:)
Skyrim DLC
Deponia
Dishonored
Dragon Age Origins pack
Arkham City
Tropico 4 DLC

Little bit of a shopping spree there :)

Red alert was a bit of a sleeper with me, I hate the C&C universe but just the adrenaline fueled obesity of the WWlll cold war really seems to be fun! Hating how difficult the campaign ramps up to be though, only at 3rd Soviet mission and Allies are already spamming future death walkers of time stopping and death. I've heard the original RA:3 is much better SP wise, but that wasn't on sale :(

Civ 5 is the first civ game I've played since Civ3:pTW, it's changed a lot, it's changed a whole heap, and I've still got to play it more to get a good review on it, but I am liking a lot of what i see!

Funny story with me and RA3, I was really excited for it when it was announced, but now I hate it with a passion, just like the more general C&C, to me it just doesn't have the same feel as RA1 and 2 (RA2 still one of my favorite games ever). The theme is there, but where RA2 was like a comic book action parody of WWIII, RA3 takes that and runs so far with it that it completely loses sight of what it was trying to be. RA2 was funny, there were brutes, giant blimps, statues that shot prism beams out of their eyes, and a giant Tesla coil made out of the Eiffel Tower. RA3s wacky antics exist solely to justify themselves; instead of basing itself in an albeit loosely interpreted cold war gone hot, it tries to one up itself in zaniness so deliberately and obsessively, that it becomes a sad meta-parody of itself, like a klein bottle of insanity.

Civ5 is pretty good I think, Its no Civ4, but I enjoy it immensely when I have a couple of hours to sink into a game, and it's even better with Gods and Kings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Ball
Silent Hunter IV
Fallout New Vegas

22 bucks and change. Easy!

Silent hunters went on sale? Hmm I'd been meaning to pick up sh 5 at some point.

btw get yourself some sh4 mods. I played for a bit and found there were quite a number of pretty damned good mods, including some which add realistic dud rates ( prepare to RAGE! ) as well as graphical updates and add more subs and ships.

Upvote 0
colt, I strongly recommend NOT to buy Silent Hunter 5. I bought it and despite that stupid Ubilauncher, I got 25 hours of great joy out of the game. Then, an update was released (not for the game of course, but the launcher) and since then, SH5 doesn't work for me anymore. And for many others as well. Start the game, seeing the intro (while using about 2/3rd of the screen) without sound and back to desktop. Many people experience this problem and despite me and many others complaining and asking Ubi for feedback, I guess the amount of replies from Ubi are ZIP. Never heard back from them and basically me and many others are unable to play the game since December last year. Pity.

By the way, anybody here played Max Payne 3 and can give some feedback? I am considering to ask somebody to gift it to me in the xmas sale as of course it's blocked in China.
Plus a question reagarding Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Is it playable with higher pings?

Upvote 0