• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Leader

Today I've played 3 times a game on Stalingradkessel. 1st time I wasn't squadleader and our leader was just another SMG soldier. We lose. Next round I was Squadleader and I was just giving the normal commands like attack X and defent Y. You could think what differents is this, but we won while being outnumbered. Next round the same.
A couple of months ago. Makahanova village (sp?). A map really hard to do for axis. First round someone was another SMG soldier. We even couldn't get the second object! Next round I was the squadleader. With good use of smoke, good commands about attacking in groups and keep saying where to attack and how and we won with 17 minutes spare time!

This is what a squadleader has to do. Keep saying where to attack, how, saying what object needs to be secured etc. With a good squadleader every group can win.
It also is the most fun part if you're the squadleader (or you act like one) and everybody is listening, that are those special RO moments. :eek:
It's funny that bots are often more intelligent than some players. A properly pathed bot will attack an objective everytime without fail until it's taken. With some human players they seem to need instructions on just actually locating an objective and informing them that they should go to it. It's like sitting in front of a meal and waiting for instructions on how to dine, is it really that hard to grasp people?

Upvote 0
I love playing squad leader and I always give commands through the v menu and VOIP where appropriate but you'll be lucky if 2-3 people actually listen :)

I also think the squad leader should be able to assign objectives to different squads...e.g. You guys demolish that wall, you guys capture the warehouse etc...and then reward the players with more points if thet accomplish their assigned task! This way the public players have a real motivation to do as the squad leader says and also work with other players more.

the squad leader can already get people to demolish things all he has to do is use tab to find the sappers name then tell him to go blow the assem doors asap. we dont need a buncha systems to force people to do things, if somone dosent wana work as a team they wont. some of your ideas there are good, being able to spawn on the squad leader is a neet idea and would REALLY make the squad leader a more important position

Upvote 0
TBH and frank about this "some one" and in my experience happens seldom in PUB play if some one takes " IT " on and
have "THAT" presience then by all means i WILL give him it, my attention that is........and follow his lead. It does make for interesting PUB play.

I try even when in normal soldier mode lol, to give information where i can. With that said you cannot blame PUBS too much for being " THE MAN" as we all need to learn.

Upvote 0
the squad leader can already get people to demolish things all he has to do is use tab to find the sappers name then tell him to go blow the assem doors asap. we dont need a buncha systems to force people to do things, if somone dosent wana work as a team they wont. some of your ideas there are good, being able to spawn on the squad leader is a neet idea and would REALLY make the squad leader a more important position

I wasn't talking about forcing anyone to do anything, but awarding additional points for working as a team and completing assigned objectives would "encourage" people to do this...people would still be free to be lonewolfs.

Upvote 0
If a leader [as in the character trait] is on the server, he will lead regardless of class.

I'm not too bad at direction actions when I'm 'in the mood', although there have been times as Gruppen./Koman. when there has been someone better at leading myself and I've just let him get on with it, providing support with 1.5 'people in capzone', smoke and artillery. There are times on some maps where the SL can't lead as efficiently specifically because he is pre-occupied with smoking and artillery [doesn't help that my deaths severely increase when I'm putting smoke down]

Upvote 0
If a leader [as in the character trait] is on the server, he will lead regardless of class.

I'm not too bad at direction actions when I'm 'in the mood', although there have been times as Gruppen./Koman. when there has been someone better at leading myself and I've just let him get on with it, providing support with 1.5 'people in capzone', smoke and artillery. There are times on some maps where the SL can't lead as efficiently specifically because he is pre-occupied with smoking and artillery [doesn't help that my deaths severely increase when I'm putting smoke down]

If I have an idea on a map that works and that particular day people will follow then I'd rather have that input or "leadership" positoin as a rifleman or something else.
I've been squad leader off and on and dont' mind it....but for me and I'm sure this is a common experience, being squad leader and using your arty, no matter how carefully you announce it and ask people to check their maps, and no matter how well positioned it is where your guys SHOULD NOT be, I always get idiots running straight into it and I get TK's and often booted...bye bye score and hello aggravation.
I've seen this happen most often when what I consider are the best squad leaders I've played with are doing their job. They call, announce, work together and place the arty very carefully behind objectives etc. What happens? Boom, someone drives a full half track into it and he's booted for friendly fire.
Perhaps if the squad leader was slightly more protected from the idiot factor and the resulting TK kicks the good ones would stick with doing it. Perhaps some change with arty TK's....not taking away as many points or needing 3 times as many to be kicked would help.

Upvote 0
Some of that can be set in the server preferences by adjusting the TK value of a friendly arty kill. The problem is that if you adjust it too low, you'll get smacktards who'll arty their own spawns not being kicked.

I had one instance on the server where I admin where a Squad Leader was CLEARLY announcing when and where arty would fall, telling people to back off, but one guy just kept running in. When I called him out on it, he said "The idiot shouldn't be artying there, because it's the cap zone we need to hold. This was true, but it was also the first cap zone (on Snowy Forest), and we were on defense. Thus, it made sense to let arty hold the enemy off as long as possible.

Regardless, the guy had warned everyone. I finally told this one numbskull "If you keep running into the arty, I'm gonna assume you're trying to get the SL kicked, and will kick you for it. So knock it off."

Active adminning. Accept no substitute. :)

Upvote 0