• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Speculation] Sprinting is in?

To be more precise, the player was crouching. Upon seeing the fleshpound he turned around and stood up.

First off, these aren't zombies. Second of all, there was no (real) sprinting in Killing Floor 1 and it had no real place in it. Instead, you can run faster with a knife.

1. that might be correct
2. the ingame male voice call them zombies. i dont see why people cant accept it. i often call them zombies. blame person who recored male voice not me

Upvote 0
Neither is it an apocalypse as I understand it, but "zombie apocalypse" is a term people are familiar with so it describes a situation well enough in just two words.

I feel KF1 is lacking a sprint feature and there is a lack of urgency. KF1 is not an experience to me and mechanics wise less exciting than a board game. Sprint is not really about the game mechanics, it is about the experience. What do people do IRL when they are frightened? They run. Running is an integral part of the experience of fear. No running in the game, no fear in the game. I don't want to play KF2, I want to experience it. I cannot experience it if I cannot run, I can only play it. If I want to play a game with superior game mechanics I go back to playing Dota 2.

Upvote 0
2. the ingame male voice call them zombies. i dont see why people cant accept it. i often call them zombies. blame person who recored male voice not me

Eeeyup. TWI had said themselves back when KF1 was released, that the Zeds ARE bioengineered mutant clones and not zombies, "but when they're trying to eat your face off, who's going to argue?"

The best thing about KF's zeds is that you call them whatever you like, and your term for them is usually backed up somewhere in the game. Be it specimens, clones, zeds, zombies, or ******s.

Upvote 0
Eeeyup. TWI had said themselves back when KF1 was released, that the Zeds ARE bioengineered mutant clones and not zombies, "but when they're trying to eat your face off, who's going to argue?"

The best thing about KF's zeds is that you call them whatever you like, and your term for them is usually backed up somewhere in the game. Be it specimens, clones, zeds, zombies, or ******s.

Pretty much this. If zeds are wandering around eating people, for all intents and purposes they're behaving like zombies. Plus, in the real world, the names given would be subjective anyway. People might call them zombies whether they are walking undead or just bio engineered monsters.

Upvote 0

Don't forget "adasasaddads". At least, that's what most call them before they die.

Upvote 0
We've all been there, you know. I still don't have any binds that say "fp" or "scr" and I type them by hand, so sometimes stuff happens.. :D

I usually combat that by playing a sharpie after wave 5 and take care of the buggers myself.

Yeah I've had those derp moments. There's been a couple of times where I accidentally hit enter somehow without realizing it, then got pissed because I thought my keyboard was screwing up because I wasn't moving anywhere. Then I look to the bottom and see "wwwaaassddd" :|

Upvote 0
Funny guy, you make funny joke! :D :D
I am being dead serious. KF1 is not intellectually stimulating to me and could be more emotionally stimulating if it was possible to sprint away from danger as then I would relate more to the situations in-game. I don't think the majority of intelligent people would claim that KF1's success comes from superior game mechanics compared to other games.

Upvote 0
I am being dead serious. KF1 is not intellectually stimulating to me and could be more emotionally stimulating if it was possible to sprint away from danger as then I would relate more to the situations in-game. I don't think the majority of intelligent people would claim that KF1's success comes from superior game mechanics compared to other games.

The mechanics could get an overhaul. They seem too 'stiff.'

Upvote 0

I guess I'm not sure what you mean when you're talking about game mechanics. KF1's gun handling is some of the best, LFD is a joke when it comes to weapon handling in comparison. And the way the game operates is pretty unique. 6 player co-op defending against waves of enemies. Not saying nobody else hasn't tried doing this, but KF's implementation is fairly unique, otherwise I'd be playing something else if there was something that is the same only better.

Also, if KF isn't emotionally stimulating and the game mechanics aren't good, then what is the draw? I'm not saying KF is stimulating, but not really sure how sprinting would add to that. If anything, being harder to get away would add more tension.

I think if there is to be any emotion, the game should be more horrifying, but I don't see how sprint adds to that.

I'm also not saying they shouldn't put sprint in, it could work. I don't think anybody should really expect an emotionally charged experience from a game that is all about killing hordes of zombie like monstrosities in as many ways as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I'm not sure what you mean when you're talking about game mechanics. KF1's gun handling is some of the best, LFD is a joke when it comes to weapon handling in comparison. And the way the game operates is pretty unique. 6 player co-op defending against waves of enemies. Not saying nobody else hasn't tried doing this, but KF's implementation is fairly unique, otherwise I'd be playing something else if there was something that is the same only better.

Also, if KF isn't emotionally stimulating and the game mechanics aren't good, then what is the draw? I'm not saying KF is stimulating, but not really sure how sprinting would add to that. If anything, being harder to get away would add more tension.

I think if there is to be any emotion, the game should be more horrifying, but I don't see how sprint adds to that.

I'm also not saying they shouldn't put sprint in, it could work. I don't think anybody should really expect an emotionally charged experience from a game that is all about killing hordes of zombie like monstrosities in as many ways as possible.

KF1 is a good game, but I think what he's talking about is the outdated feel of the game because of stiff animations and movement.
There is no feel of weight, and while the guns feel good the way damage is handled via perks doesn't make sense. Moving faster with a knife even though you are still carrying your armory should be mentioned too

All these combined (and probably others) just make the game feels a bit unengaging compared to what we're getting used to nowadays.
Maybe they will want to retain some of that old school element in KF2 though, but I don't think it necessarily means having outdated mechanics. And they confirmed great motion captured animations, so I think we're good here...

Upvote 0
KF1 is a good game, but I think what he's talking about is the outdated feel of the game because of stiff animations and movement.
There is no feel of weight, and while the guns feel good the way damage is handled via perks doesn't make sense. Moving faster with a knife even though you are still carrying your armory should be mentioned too

All these combined (and probably others) just make the game feels a bit unengaging compared to what we're getting used to nowadays.
Maybe they will want to retain some of that old school element in KF2 though, but I don't think it necessarily means having outdated mechanics. And they confirmed great motion captured animations, so I think we're good here...

That's all true, and you make some good points. But I think we should keep in mind this is an Unreal Engine 2.5 game from '09. Not exactly fair to hold it to modern standards.

Upvote 0
Game mechanics is not how things look but how they work. How Zeds spawn, how you equip your character, how non-gun equipment work and affect game play, how different elements affect shooting, how movement works, if there is a progression system (I passionately hate the KF1 and RO2 progression systems) etc. Being able to sprint falls under how movement works.

Being able to sprint is important to me as if I immerse into the game and find myself in a situation where I would IRL choose to sprint, realizing I can't takes me out of the "immersion" which kills a lot of the emotional experience.

Upvote 0
ugh, I was hoping they wouldn't add a sprint.. Personally I felt like it made KF that much more intense not being able to run. The way I looked at it was that you were always running and just ran a bit faster with the knife. I mean, with an army of mutant clones... when would you really NOT be running? lol. Maybe sprint will be always on and they'll add a walk button for precise aiming for sharpie.

That being said, I hope they do something to make kiting impossible.

Upvote 0