• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Beast (nl)

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2006
The Netherlands
First month this game was out i didn't like this map.
Since this week i play it very much and then as a german.

After the first cap to be slaughtert by the russians when they are using arti and flank attacks. It is very attractive what this map brings. I prefer to go as a bolt soldier to make it more difficult.
The thrill to reach the last cap with your team.
This map isn't a run and gun map and it is to compare with ro1.
This map is my favorite now.

What do you think about this map?

It is unique.

You can be killing it as russians defending the second housing block with more reinforcements being in a good postion.... but the next minute you can lose if you dont defend properly quite easily.

Being russian and defending the 2nd housing block is probably the hardest thing to do... you can sit at the back of the block because the germans will build numbers on the other side of the block.

so you feel like you have to seek them out.... which is kind of counter intuitive when being defensive..... especially when you start at the church where it is a true defensive postion.

Any one have any tips on defending the second housing block? Postions with in the cap to defend from giving good security defensively with out having to actively hunt out germans.

Reactions: [TW]redeye
Upvote 0
i really like this map..it is one of my favorites..When you play with a good commander and squad leader, the intensity of game play is wonderful. As a russian, i have been up close to the front of housing block 2 and our commander was dropping arty effectively and very close to my position killing many germans...

TWI has given us the tools to make a good tactical game. It is up to us to supply the teamwork.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to stand out here it seems. I'm not a massive fan of the map for one reason. 20+ buildings... but you can only enter 2 of them? It always feels so.. artificial when maps have buildings you can't enter. Like I'm stuck playing DoD from ten years ago. I want to be fighting around and inside buildings. Not essentially fighting around simple blocks of cover that could be taken from a quake 1 map.

The layout and objectives are all good. I just wish I could enter all the small wooden houses instead of peer around them all the time...

Upvote 0
Don't worry Khaine, you're not alone. I don't like this map that much either. I like it more than Apartments, which I REALLY dislike, but it's still kind of boring and samey. It feels small, like it was very easy to learn all the nooks and crannies Russians hide in. Very little emergent gameplay, which might actually be something other people like.

It does remind me of Basovka. Basovka was my first map, and I enjoyed it because of that. However, long into my RO1 career I grew to dislike it for the same reasons I dislike Spartanovka. It feels... inorganic and artificial, somehow. Like every round plays out the same way.

There's another issue. In Basovka, you may recall how if an Axis team was incompetent, non-aggressive and lacked competent squad leader, it was stonewall at trenches. This is also the case in spartanovka. I see many Axis teams losing the gullies despite it being an initially free capture, and it's quite infuriating.

Flanking is also kind of rare, since the width of combat zones is very short. The road down the middle essentially separates the north and south sides, unless you want to be exposed to their entire team. Trying to flank on the far sides doesn't work much unless you use the northern gully. Overall, you're forced to advance head-on, which translates into reliance on twitch skill and marksmanship than teamwork and tactics.

Forgive the sudden dissertation on the map, I honestly didn't realize I had so much to say on it. Again, I say take this post with a grain of salt, because I enjoy the map. Just not as much as Commissar's or RedOctober.

Upvote 0
Im deeply sorry, but i have to continue this strange rant about this map.

While i was kinda excited at the first matchs with this map, because its almost simetrical layout, mixed urban cover with long range of a open terrain map, i soon get kinda bored of the way the map ENFORCE players to play.

The map is cluttered, small and stupidly full of cover that you really dont need that much (trenches facing buildings? seriously?) and that only makes you run more, faster and gun down your enemies closer because... guess what... you can see **** because all the terrain is almost flat and a lot of rubble is in your way.

Oh, wait, there is some space for flanking, you have a 10 meter wide plain and absolutely empty space in the left of the map, or you have some gullies to the right, which are much more atractive for campers than the actual map.

So in the end, you end up run and gunning or camping thanks of another beatifully designed map that makes rifles a joke and tell you straight that if you try to go slowly checking for objetives and looking for that next building, you are stupid.

Upvote 0
I have to dis-agree with your assessement, Fidelius.

I play bolt-action rifles almost exclusively (or because of his necessity on this map I will play as SL and take a semi-auto). I do quite well and find that successful gameplay (for the attackers) requires teamwork and very satisfying when we co-ordinate and attack cohesively. The only sucessful run and gunning I've seen is around the last cap at city hall. I think the map provides something for everyone. There are times when arty is needed. There are times when rifles are need. There are times when smg's are needed. A good MG that provides support is always useful.

My biggest complaint about the map (and this might apply to all maps) existed in RO:Ost days. Its the 'problem' with the lone wolf who sits back in a protected spawn area after his whole team has been wiped out, yet has absolutely no hope of winning the game for his team. I would like to see the protected areas dis-appear when teams are down to their last two or three players. Or perhaps a lockdown timer begins. To me its selfish to require 50 other players to wait while time expires just so someone can hide.....

Upvote 0
I have to dis-agree with your assessement, Fidelius.

I play bolt-action rifles almost exclusively (or because of his necessity on this map I will play as SL and take a semi-auto). I do quite well and find that successful gameplay (for the attackers) requires teamwork and very satisfying when we co-ordinate and attack cohesively. The only sucessful run and gunning I've seen is around the last cap at city hall. I think the map provides something for everyone. There are times when arty is needed. There are times when rifles are need. There are times when smg's are needed. A good MG that provides support is always useful.

My biggest complaint about the map (and this might apply to all maps) existed in RO:Ost days. Its the 'problem' with the lone wolf who sits back in a protected spawn area after his whole team has been wiped out, yet has absolutely no hope of winning the game for his team. I would like to see the protected areas dis-appear when teams are down to their last two or three players. Or perhaps a lockdown timer begins. To me its selfish to require 50 other players to wait while time expires just so someone can hide.....

Completely agree

Upvote 0