• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some suggestions on tanks

Lucan946

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
First, I'd just like to maybe brainstorm some possible tanks that could be put in for the Soviets:

T-26
T-28
T-37A
T-40
BT-7M
BT-7A
T-34/76 m. 1941 (obviously)
KV-1s
KV-1e

KV-1a
KV-1b
T-60
T-70
Anyways, with that done:

Bold: Ones that I'd like to see in, historical accuracy allowing, of course.

Tanks in the first RO are, for the most part, great. Tank combat is fun, tank killing as infantry is fun, things are just fun in general. That being said, the combat is not the most realistic. For instance, just a while ago I was playing and I had a Panzer III Ausf-J penetrate a KV-1s from the front. It wasn't a belly shot, it didn't go through the driver's vision hatch, it didn't go down the gun. It just went through the hull's frontal armor. Obviously, things need changing.

Suggestions:

-Realistic penetration values that take into account armour slope, thickness, the round being fired, what type of round it is, etc
-Fully modeled damage system for tanks. Rather than have tanks just explode upon death, make it more realistic. For example:
.You could have a tank have its hull pierced through, killing most of the crew and rendering many of the internal workings of the tanks useless
.You could have a tank that has its turret knocked out (along with the gunner, commander, and loader (if there is one)
.You could have an engine destroyed, which would immobilize the tank and pose a huge fire hazard.
.You could have the engine deck catch on fire (Molotov?) and have the crew burn to death if they don't fight if effectively
.More realistic placement of machine guns on the tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos
I think it's generally accepted among tread heads here that HoS's tanking should be at least on par with what Darkest Hour's is like currently, if not better. And since they more or less nailed down infantry combat in the first game with some improvements here and there for the second game, I reckon they have more time to put into tank combat.

Upvote 0
That's about a billion hours of development time on that list. Too many variants of each vehicle as well, best to focus on one. ;)

Most of the T and BT series tanks were destroyed by the time Stalingrad happened. I do believe at least one BT-7 is documented in some of the factory fighting but the Russians dug it in as a pillbox.

Yeah, I know. I think I remember reading or hearing something somewhere about a few T-26s and another tankette model or light tank doing something in Stalingrad. Can't remember where.

Upvote 0
No matter how few there were used, but if any of them were used, I would really like a few light tanks in Stalingrad.
For Germany, this would be:

- Panzer II (I am sure a few were used at the beginning? would be a good match against t26 tanks, and as one of the later versions should have frontal protection against at rifle fire)
- Panzer 38(t) (would be a VERY good match against t26/possible bt7 tanks and a good infantry support tank, no match against t34 of course, even though AFAIK they were only used to protect flanks Stalingrad not in Stalingrad itself)
- SdKfz 221/222/231/232 (at least one of them is a must imho, they are really a "symbol of German army in WW2" like the tiger and I missed them in OST)

Apart from that, Panzer III/IV will be included anyway if there are tanks included at all :p

Upvote 0
What's good about DH system?

First and foremost, it has the Armored Beasts mutator incorporated into it, which really helps with realistic penetration values. Then it also has crew deaths, engine fires that can destroy the tank and kill the crew, the possibility to damage optics, and the requirement that the crew unbutton before they can bail out. General all around improvements.

Upvote 0
I prefer quality over quantity option. Less tanks, but done with smallest details.

After release I'm pretty sure that we won't wait long for new tanks made by modders thought.

and

Suggestions:

-Realistic penetration values that take into account armour slope, thickness, the round being fired, what type of round it is, etc
-Fully modeled damage system for tanks. Rather than have tanks just explode upon death, make it more realistic. For example:
.You could have a tank have its hull pierced through, killing most of the crew and rendering many of the internal workings of the tanks useless
.You could have a tank that has its turret knocked out (along with the gunner, commander, and loader (if there is one)
.You could have an engine destroyed, which would immobilize the tank and pose a huge fire hazard.
.You could have the engine deck catch on fire (Molotov?) and have the crew burn to death if they don't fight if effectively
.More realistic placement of machine guns on the tanks.

+1

edit: However DH/Armored beast penetration system was nice too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I prefer quality over quantity option. Less tanks, but done with smallest details.

After release I'm pretty sure that we won't wait long for new tanks made by modders thought....

i wouldn't be so sure - after all it took ages to implement vehicles in RO ( i presume ppl aren't aware of the full process), and that's before the option/requirment to make hi poly models for normal mapping.
Oh, plus all the extra features that you lot all seem to expect as a minimum requirment on top of that.
btw, not that i care for DH or it's tanking but i understand the system used for armour is different from the mutator you talk about.

Upvote 0
@Lucan Here's a link to ArmoredBeast 2.08, but you must know that is very difficult to find running AB servers.

@dogbadger, some explanation. For me "not that long" term cover about 12 months if we're talking about modelling, scripting and developing stuff. I think in that period of time we can expect first stuff from modders.
Also I hope for community which i guess will be much bigger after HoS release and same as our active in customizing and making new stuff.

Upvote 0
Yeah, i really like the DH system. It's pretty cool when somehow the driver got killed by a penetrating shot and/or the driver position is set on fire and it slowly spreads, killing everyone inside/blowing up the tank.

I remember one time in DH i hit the driver of a sherman from about 150m away with a Kar98. It felt quite nice. In ROOST, i fire an AT rifle and the driver laughs, turns the mg and kills me.

Upvote 0