• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Solo tanking too easy?

Raptus

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006
Finland
To me it seems that going solo with a tank is too easy in RO. Taking a full crew should be encouraged a bit more. Maybe even longer loading times if you are going solo? It seems that most people just go solo and when someone else hops in, they leave the tank and run to another one to go solo on it.

To me it seems that going solo with a tank is too easy in RO. Taking a full crew should be encouraged a bit more. Maybe even longer loading times if you are going solo? It seems that most people just go solo and when someone else hops in, they leave the tank and run to another one to go solo on it.

In mod version, using full-crewed tank reloaded the gun faster than solo-crewed. Besides, soloing is not a good choice since you are very easy target when you stop driving and move to the cannon.

Upvote 0
Having a driver means you have to deal with lag between commands, and whether or not he'll even obey you when you order him to halt, reverse, etc. to engage an enemy tank. You don't have to deal with that if you are solo.

Besides, in my experience, two one-man tanks will annihilate a single fully-manned tank.

Upvote 0
Here's the breakdown:

If you cant find a good driver and a good gunner you are better off being good at both by yourself. BUT, you are at a huge disadvantage when facing a tank that has both (ask innociv, he'll tell ya).

If I can find a good driver who knows how to get hull down and who I can communicate with I vastly prefer it, but if there is no driver to be found then I will work on my own at range since cqc for tanks is hopeless with 1 person.

Upvote 0
Multi crew has a huge advantage if you are skilled, if you think otherwise find someone who you can use as a dedicated tank teammate.

Only a nub crew will die to solo.

As a solo and crew tanker who plays beta.

As long as you work together and are fimilar with the tactics eachother use you will win.

Nerfing solo will just make it more frustrating when theirs only noobs playing.

Upvote 0
In the form devil's advocate, I'd like to insert some grist in the mill from this discussion on the DoD forums that I thought was interesting. Here's a quote from DoD forum member Das-W00t which I completely disagree with and hope he dies, but he made some interesting points that I thought would be nice to bring here:

Das Woot from DoD forums said:
- The vehicles aren't fun, at all. The absolute dependence on another player to be even somewhat effective kills them for public play. The added voice commands are nice, and work in theory, but the fact that no one listens to them negates their usefulness. To be fair, they're executed in a much better fashion than the mod, but in terms of actual game play, not fun. My entire vehicle experience last night consisted of me screaming "Stop" or "Back up" 10 times in a row while my driver continued to plow forward into shell fire. Wee.

Das Woot from DoD forums said:
The vehicles in RO play NOTHING like WWIIOL. The vehicle does not maintain it's speed when you switch out of the driver position; it just stops, meaning you can't scan for targets while you're on the move in a tank with your commander or gunner. You also can't reload if the gunner position is empty, meaning you have to fire, pull out of cover, switch back to gunner, sit and wait to reload, pull forward, switch back to gunner again, and fire. You can't fire, and then be on the move while you're imaginary crewman reloads for you, and be ready as you relocate ala WWIIOL.

The tanks are the best part of WWIIOL, and are implemented beautifully to be used either by one person, or many. The tanks in RO, are purposefully crippled to solo in, which is not a smart move, IMO, given how little people listen in game, and how precise tank combat needs to be. It just makes it an unrealistic tank tactics feel, and, it

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
It is true that a well trained crew is much deadlier than a single person. But right now it is so easy to play solo that many will not bother to put in the effort to team up with a stranger.

Dude I play in real servers where people have diffrent skill levels, while Stalin and Hitler would make their soilders teamup with strangers of dubious skill level and limited traning I dont think where into that kinda thing.

Upvote 0