• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics So I think I learned how to use MG42

I was determined to figure out how to use the Mg42 properly, I knew it had to be better then the Mg34.

So I played with it almost exclusively last night on Odessa and Stalingrad-Kessel.

And I finally will retract my statement on the Mg34 being better.

Mg42 is better you just have to use it right.

Some points I found

1.) Stay far back. You can snipe with it almost, do very short burts
2.) The first couple of bullets are extremely accurate.
3.) Dont go to obvious spots
4.) If the enemy gets closer, I aim for the feet, and let er rip. The recoil brings it up to their head usually, and this almost always gets them.
5.) Try to go to a spot that is covered from sides, so you can only be seen from the back easily, and you can see out the front well, but others can't see you well, make it hard for them to aim.
6.) Do Not Venture off, always stay near other teammates.
7.) Fall back when you have to, and change position if people start lighting up your spot, and expect you there.
8.) Don't shoot when you don't have do, you just give yourself away. Unless your trying to surpress them.

How to shoot all depends on distance. Quick short burts for far, but if they get closer, just unload, don't take the chance. You can use it like a sniper.

SenorDingDong said:
I was determined to figure out how to use the Mg42 properly, I knew it had to be better then the Mg34.

So I played with it almost exclusively last night on Odessa and Stalingrad-Kessel.

And I finally will retract my statement on the Mg34 being better.

Mg42 is better you just have to use it right.

Some points I found

1.) Stay far back. You can snipe with it almost, do very short burts
2.) The first couple of bullets are extremely accurate.
3.) Dont go to obvious spots
4.) If the enemy gets closer, I aim for the feet, and let er rip. The recoil brings it up to their head usually, and this almost always gets them.
5.) Try to go to a spot that is covered from sides, so you can only be seen from the back easily, and you can see out the front well, but others can't see you well, make it hard for them to aim.
6.) Do Not Venture off, always stay near other teammates.
7.) Fall back when you have to, and change position if people start lighting up your spot, and expect you there.
8.) Don't shoot when you don't have do, you just give yourself away. Unless your trying to surpress them.

How to shoot all depends on distance. Quick short burts for far, but if they get closer, just unload, don't take the chance. You can use it like a sniper.
Awesome. Good job.

Upvote 0
HotDawgz said:
Isn't this all kind of obvious? I see nothing which is like a hidden secret of it, expect maybe the first few bullets one..

The MG-42 sniper ability has been a well-kept secret among the MG-42 "family of players", nice to see you found it as well and joined us (one of us one of us one of us!)

Good job posting these tips here, though, as they will certainly help the newer people in getting the hang of the coolest weapon in RO.

PS. Welcome to the MG-42 crew. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Sometimes, but at least you can change the Barrel with both MGs :)

I guess I've always died before I need to change the barrel. I like the 42. I found it much easier to use and was getting kills easier. I've found it is a great suppressive fire weapon because of its sniper like accuracy. Once the Allies realize there is a 42 out there they are much more cautious running across open areas, cause if they do they are toast.

Upvote 0
KillItNow said:
the mg42 still doesnt have a semi automatic triger now does it like the mg 34

This is it, the very reason for me prefering the 34' over the 42.
I set up my 34 on a sandbag or whatever that gives me the proper support and wait :rolleyes:.
Targets are engaged with rapid semi fire, as a prinsiple I always give 3 bullets first , these shots determines my next move.
There is a good chance one or two of those hit ( depends on range of course ) as I like to wait for a clear kill, I hate to give my position away and end up dead without a 4-1 ratio when I'm MG'ing :D .
So.. its time to determine if the target is down - by the time you have squeezed off 3 -4 rapid semi shots you wont have a problem observing your enemy as there is little to none mussleflash and the recoil is very forgiving, so if the bugger is still breathing then proceed with step #1 all over again, this procedure will be repeated until the object ifront of your barrell is resting firmly on the ground.

Once getting used to the semi auto its time for some fun, this comes naturally when fooling around with it for an hour or two.
The beauty kicks in when you go from semi action to full auto because you in the corner of the eye see a tight group of targets approaching from 1 o' clock, so there you are lying in a ditch firing your 3 semi shots at a single target for then to spray two - three '2 second burst's and behold 4 non moving targets piled up 100 yards away, now that is gratifying :D

The 42' is great for supression and general "fear factor" lol, as I have seen several Ruskies backtrack and getting the hell out of an area because the 42 chainsaw was rattling around the corner. This is all good, but if not re-supplied the 42' runs out just like that, blink of an eye.
The 34' you are more stealthy with, if you take your target out with semi fire and are disiplined you can cover an entire flank for a long time.
If you burst the 42 you can be very sure the enemy hears you and are pinpointing your position.
A consequence of this is having 3 PPSH's sniffing around for you, and they WILL find you.

+ The 34 you can semi fire.
+ It comes with more ammo
+ Less recoil

+ 42 has a hysterical fire rate :cool:
+ The first shots seem to be VERY accurate yes , as someone already have pointed out above me.

In this game the 42 is "The man" due to its devestating firepower, but for me the 34' serves more as a support gun as I can supress and even "snipe" enemies and stay alive for longer, staying alive = helping team.
Test it yourself, play the same maps and switch between 42 and 34, see if you end up living longer and scoring better using the 34.

It might just be me.

Upvote 0
Maybe the Devs will allow the MG avatar to have access to a belt-fed MG34. That would be, IMHO, the best combination.

I personaly like the MG34 better than the MG42. The 34's RoF is already very high, and the semi-automatic trigger is really nice for plinking people. If it were belt-fed, I'd say it would be about perfect.

I think a lot of people assume that the MG42 was developed because it is superior to the MG34. The fact is, the MG34 was expensive to produce, so the Germans needed a cheaper MMG, and thus the MG42 was developed. It's high RoF was often though of as a liablility by it's crews, because it chewed through ammunition at a ridiculous rate.

For example, they never put MG-42's in tanks (though I believe they did put them ON tanks as support weapons) because the MG-34 was a better made weapon and more suited to the role.

Upvote 0
I personally really like an MG42 and an ammo stash. That plus the RoF and the uber fast barrel change really make it a deadly weapon. On odessa russians eventually just stopped running across my line of fire becuase I would just kill them. The key to learning any weapon in RO is to just use it and get a feel for it.

I find that I will fire a second long burst so that I can move my sights over my target if he is running. I've also gotten the barrel change timing down to a science (I go prone behind cover if I'm under fire) and that makes my job a TON easier.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Sometimes, but at least you can change the Barrel with both MGs :)

I understand the reasons for changing the barrels out in real life IRL,but what are the effects ingame of firing box after box of ammo,(assuming you dont die and are being resuppied). Will the accuracy of the weapon get worse, will it jam more, will the clound of steam/smoke infront of you just get worse?

Upvote 0