• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] so gamespy and the planet websites are gone

I'm kinda sad. I started reading Gamespy the year it launched. While it wasn't the best or most entertaining game news site out there, I always felt like they were one of the few sites owned by the big networks that wasn't a total shill for publishers. They had access and a willingness to talk as much about a game's short comings. Their praise was always pretty even handed too. It was one of the 3 or 4 sites I'd use to compare game reviews.

Not really surprised by this though. Gamespy has always been a little redundant within their network and the site had started to shift away from just the AAA market, starting to cover indie games and doing columns for F2P games or mods. They had that shutdown/change of ownership of some gaming service that resulted in some MP games going dark not too long ago. The signs have been on the wall for a while.

Still, kind of a bummer.

Upvote 0
Shame, I've been on FilePlanet since "I don't know when".

Note : FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.

A lot of people didn't like it but downloads were fast, free and they were always up to date and on the ball, so to speak.

Top file is CS 1.6 Z-Bot.

End of an era really, before that I used to get mods and demos from monthly gaming magazines, most of them have disappeared in the same manner.

Upvote 0