• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper teams and MG teams.

I don't object it, but even you mentioned the potential scenario someone doing it for points and firing him from the job, imagine if it was free-for-all. For MG gunner to request someone to assist him is entirely voluntary and vice versa. That's the reason why the solution could work quite well.

Well let's hope it gets implemented.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Learn something new everyday.

Yeah, this is the difference between a dedicated MMG team, and an LMG that is integral to the squad. The LMG would usually work with and travel with the rest of the squad (a-la RO), and was under command of the squad leader, whereas an MMG would be a seperate unit usually under the command of the platoon or company leader.

Upvote 0
Interesting...

One major flaw though, and thats not to do with history.

-

Players, naturally, don't want to work together. When a game is first released people tend to be extremely excited and do anything to win a game. If this means 5 people charging into a house trying to capture an objective. THE WILL.

However, a week passes by and all of a sudden these people don't see any reason to work together. They've done that part and now its time to focus on their personal stats.

-

Can you see these people communicating with their MG teams to give them ammo? The only reason they would do that is for in game xp / points.

-

I don't like the idea of this game flashing "+5xp" for killing a guy...I want to see that guy flop to the floor and a nice splatter effect.

-

Secondly, someone mentioned that people would rather drop their additional LMG ammo for lighter weight. This is true.....or people will role as an LMG and demand people give him ammo for spraying like the "God" he thinks he is due to limited people being able to play him.

-

I think its much better to give people the picking up and dropping tools rather than force anyone to do anything. But thats a personal opinion. I want "Less doing things for XP and stats" and more "doing it for the win..."

Because those first few days people play the game...are the most enjoyable. Since they go for the win and not the stats. When they start playing for stats. its "OMG BULL...THATS LAG" or "OMG NOOB WITH A TRENCH GUN" etc...

Upvote 0
Here we go again...I though this "everlasting sniper debate/jabber" would be over, but I was obviously wrong...

Mauser, you are just completely missing the point and failing to understanding, what SheepDip is actually saying. Sure, they had snipers, but snipers were not operating inside a rifle platoon/rifle squad as integral part of those. For example in the RKKA snipers were often subordinated to company and platoon level, but they still (ofcourse not without an exeption) operated as snipers, and did not become an integral part of the company/platoon/squad. So the company commander/platoon leader used them as snipers, not as "designated marksmen". Since othervise it would have been just waste of resources.

And to the main point, to have a soldier with a scoped rifle as integral part of rifle squad is perfectly realistic for both, Soviets and Germans. No question about that. But they are not snipers. That is the point. They are just ordinary soldiers (best shots of the squad) with scoped rifles to increase effective range of the squad

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyXwire
Upvote 0
No matter if they are called Snipers or Marksmen, there should be the option to spot a target for the sniper and mark it for him.
(maybe Squadleader only because he already has binoculars)

Its nothing worse than knowing the position of the enemy sniper,
but are unable to tell it your own sniper because he does not speak your language!
:mad:

So YES for spotting a target for a sniper!

Upvote 0
I remember reading some book about the British advance into Germany near the end of the war which involved an account of a German soldier in a bunker firing his MG42 whilst his mate kept throwing buckets of water on the barrel so he could continue shooting at a rather naughty ROF not encouraged for users of an MG42.

I reckon we need such bucket carriers throwing water on MG42 barrels so we can fire full auto for long periods.

Upvote 0
The MG resupply idea is good (they do this in FPS games, but your dedicated MG loader for resupply would be more accurate).
I agree.
Special gameplay advantages could be given to make it more fun.
Bringing Rnl for example, fighting with your squadmates increases morale which reduces the supression effect. So the other guy could receive part of the MG kills. The machinegunner could also be made slower to walk because he has to carry all the ammo himself(and the tripod for the allies 30cal).

Upvote 0
I remember reading some book about the British advance into Germany near the end of the war which involved an account of a German soldier in a bunker firing his MG42 whilst his mate kept throwing buckets of water on the barrel so he could continue shooting at a rather naughty ROF not encouraged for users of an MG42.

I reckon we need such bucket carriers throwing water on MG42 barrels so we can fire full auto for long periods.

That sort of action would just ruin the barrel. No one with their righ mind would never do such a thing, if still wanting to hit somewhere.

Upvote 0
In my post I meant the throwing of water on the barrel, which I doubt did not even happen. Or if it did, it made more damage to the barrel than the overheating...

Allthough, what I assume you meant, firing long bursts is also not that wise.

How would it damage the barrel? I've had my guns rained all over and it didn't affect the barrel, unless you mean water getting in the barrel.

Upvote 0
I wasn't making a serious request but I don't see the problem if the water was applied fairly constantly as the barrel won't be getting super heated then cooled super rapidly. Just look at a .303 vickers water cooled heavy machine gun.

The source of the information is also quite reliable. I have no reason to doubt it. There's nothing unbelievable about the account.

Upvote 0
Special gameplay advantages could be given to make it more fun.

The machinegunner could also be made slower to walk because he has to carry all the ammo himself(and the tripod for the allies 30cal).
Also, there would just seem to be that point in time where having the animation for weapons like the Maxim (w/wheeled carraige), or the tripod-mounted MMGs/HMGs just needs to occur. Otherwise it's always going to be these static weapons positions on the map which "need manning" to be operational.

Very understandable if the development time just doesn't allow mobile-carriage mounted weapons in-game yet, this being for the MMGs on up through AT guns, etc., but eventually this animation becomes the "next step". At this point in the possibility, questions about weapons crews and potential game roles for them would be part of the equation (at least for consideration).

Upvote 0