• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Smoke nades

I sometimes use smoke to block enemy lanes of fire or even throw it on a tank to force it too move. Biggest use of smoke is to mask movement so you can get in position to cap or interdict the enemy. A tactic used against smoke is to fire short bursts (single shot mg34 eg) into the smoke to hope to suppress or even kill some one using the smoke advantage. Grenades too but all too often sometimes friendlies maybe in the smoke too.

Upvote 0
Between your team and enemy strongpoint(sandbags walls etc. i mean) for example in basovka between your ppl and trenches if you are german but;
It should be thrown in front of the enemy not infront of your team or middle of both sides imo.

You can use to it to blind tanks or to cover openings that needs to be crossed f.e in Kessel while trying to reach North Railyard as a russian.

Or just toss it in flagzone to cause confusion on both sides if the situation is hopeless for you and wish for best :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, just run up behind a tank, hold the right mouse button to do a short throw, and then chuck it right behind the turret. Afterwhich, the tank will try to move, but the smoke should stay on the tank. When they realize this, they will get out to see who threw it, at that time you shoot them.

Another bastardly tactic is to use smoke w/ arty while defending. This is great for Bosovka. Give the smokes to someone you trust, and have them throw the smoke as you call the arty. You should time the arty to hit about 10 seconds after the smoke fills up its maximum area. This way the attackers run into the smoke expecting to recieve cover, only to get a deadly surpise.

Upvote 0
Dropping smoke right on your position is generally a bad idea. Enemies can lob grenades at you without you seeing them and they can sneek by you. Also if you want to move somewhere else you suddenly find that the edge of your smokescreen stops short, leaving you exposed. That's why if you want to move it's often a good idea to throw the smoke at where you know the enemy are, so you can move freely and they'll have to leave cover and sometimes run blindly out of the smoke if they want to do anything about it.

Upvote 0
i personaly try to throw the smoke on the places the enemys like to camp. or right in front of it so they can camp there and not be able to see us going for the cap zone. Better to blind them then to blind your own team. A lot of people tend to throw nades and spray mg fire right into smoke. Even more so when thats right in a open area in a cap zone. Better to avoid that mess. Like on danzig as a russian trying to cap the east bridge i will throw smoke right against the building on the right so they cant see clear out the window to abuse that clipping bug and pick people off the bridge. then the other smoke goes right in the middle of the road left of the bridge so they cant see out the windows in the building in the center or see you from the crates and stuff in the middle of the road. Better to make them come out of the cover to try to attack you then let them stay in the cover and spray into the smoke.

Upvote 0
Better to blind them then to blind your own team.
QFT

I'm almost always a regular grunt so I don't get to play with the smoke nades. But I have to deal with smoke all the time, of course. My preferences for smoke placement are:
1. On the enemy positions - blind them, not me
2. Between the enemy and a cap zone - blind them, not me
3. On the cap zone - blind us all

Please, please, please don't put smoke between me and my objective unless the immediate objective is a short advance to better positions without going through the smoke. Entering smoke is dangerous. Exiting smoke is suicide.

Blind them, not me.

Upvote 0
Smoke should always be placed ON the enemy. To either blind them on the assault, or blind them from YOUR assault. On defense, smoke an area and shoot them as they come out of the smoke. On offense, smoke the defenders and work your way around them unseen. Never smoke an objective of an attack though, you just tilt the playing field and give any hiding defenders a HUGE edge.

Upvote 0
If you want to see the uses of smoke, the Gorlitz map is great for that although you hear different opinions due to the tanks.

- If you use smoke to shield your advance, the tankers complain (which is true) that they can no longer see the enemy and use HE to support the attack.

- If you don't use smoke, while the tanks are effective at blowing up def positions, as there is unlimited reinforcements on Gorlitz, they could sit there all day doing that without your team advancing and thus losing on time.

The two ideal usages imo are

- On top of defenders, followed by assaulting SMGs. Good for easily defended areas (ruins) that have a decent kill zone infront of it that has to be crossed.
Get through quickly instead of playing the pop up sniping game.

- Fire lane block. If you have enemy ahead down a road, and enemy to the left down a road, block one off with smoke and attack the other. Flanking fire is the worst as it's not spotted or suppressed and by it's nature not blocked by cover.

On the Gorlitz map it's more iffy on the long bridges with the longer range. Then it's almost impossible to get smoke on the defenders as you can't get close enough. Then I'd say if the assault is stalled, throw the smoke and try get things started again. Maybe on only one side so you can narrow down the front you have to suppress/assault while still getting tank support. But still not idea as without MG support you'll end up playing the nade game in the smoke.

The absolute worst is smoke just in front of your troops. Allows zero support fire but you're fully visable 10 feet away from your starting line.

My 2c, and it just goes to show you how great a game RO is when discussions like this pop up. Better than other WWII FPSers talking about the pros and cons of bunny hopping ;)

T.

Upvote 0
On combined arms maps i usually leave one flank for the tankers while i make a smoke tunnel for assaulters all the way to the cap zone for easy acces. This is pretty hard but if done right you get a train of zonecappers going and you take the point in an instant.

If a smoke tunnel isnt usefull i throw my smoke right infront of their positions/bunkers/trenches.

And ofcourse a curtain of smoke when your flank is being murdered by an enemy tank and there are no friendly tanks around to take it out.

I love being SL, its the one class that can make or break the entire advance of your team and it just rocks to see a perfectly placed smoke turn into the annihilation of the enemy zone ^^

Upvote 0
Key in being SL is know how to teamwork. Im realy often talking to all guys, asking for help, keeping the morale up. If u want to use smoke, think twice. Throw it in the postion where ur guys are slaughtered by mg or sniper ( narrow places ) or just into enemy postions. DONT THROW IT CLOSE TO UR POSTION OR BETWEEN POSTIONS. If u will throw it close, u will run into smoke with no hurt, but when u exit it u will be shot by surprise. I saw many times wrong smoke of attacking side. On Toula axis has to throw it in or as close to bunkers. If they throw on field, they will get shot by random shoots ( smoke is bullet magnet ) or just taken by surprise when they exit smoke area. Its good to place 2 smoke nades in same zone to make it bigger ( danzig ).

I love being SL too. Its the most responsible class ingame :D

Upvote 0