• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

slow deaths and putting people out of their misery.

Giuliano

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
I think the slow death/death cry/death rattle feature is amazing. Its unique and brings a whole new level of brutality to a franchise that has been recognized for its brutality. I think a feature that would be interesting to see added in game is being able to end it prematurely. Sometimes, having your buddies or even enemies rolling around on the floor gurgling can give away your position or make you a little uncomfortable. At the moment, shooting them does nothing so what I'm asking is, would it be possible to make it so that shooting them will make them stop? Its not really a big deal or an immersion breaker if it can't be done, but I think a feature like that would add to the whole experience.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is feasible. The sound seems to play from a location near the body, which may not even coincide with where the body ended up, so I don't think it's in any way linked to the corpse in such a way that this could be implemented easily.

In addition, I believe corpses appear client-side, not server-side, so there may not even be an absolute location for where the body is allowing you to hit it with a projectile.

I'm just guessing, though.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't the sound of you shooting them also give your position away? All the weapons in the game have pretty distinct sounds. If Germans heard a PPSh go off in the adjacent room then I believe that would give you away more than the death screams.

It would definitely be a neat feature, but at the same time I don't think it's very useful.

Upvote 0
This just reminded me of a scene from a movie...i cant remember it though!

basically a guy asks to be put out of his misery and the other guy obliges but dosnt kill him only makes it worse... it keeps going everytime he trys to put him out of his misery he only makes it worse.

I think TWI should implement that with every 4th or so player where you put them out of there misery.

Upvote 0
While this is a tangent, does anyone get annoyed not by the concept of slow death, but how it's done in this game?

I dislike the fact often you've simply got to sit there and watch your soldier stagger about a bit from a first person perspective while the screen fades, in what is really a very slapstick way and not being able do anything about it, or the other times when you're just having the fadeout but can still point and shoot.

I'd be much happier if slow death saw you hit the deck, maybe by falling to your knees first then onto your side, and have it let you look around while fading out.

There's just something about the way it's currently done that gives the impression you should be able to do something, even if it's just stagger a few feet in one direction, but that the game is deliberately stopping you, rather than a slow death that's obviously not something the player has influence over.

Upvote 0
While this is a tangent, does anyone get annoyed not by the concept of slow death, but how it's done in this game?

I dislike the fact often you've simply got to sit there and watch your soldier stagger about a bit from a first person perspective while the screen fades, in what is really a very slapstick way and not being able do anything about it, or the other times when you're just having the fadeout but can still point and shoot.

I'd be much happier if slow death saw you hit the deck, maybe by falling to your knees first then onto your side, and have it let you look around while fading out.

There's just something about the way it's currently done that gives the impression you should be able to do something, even if it's just stagger a few feet in one direction, but that the game is deliberately stopping you, rather than a slow death that's obviously not something the player has influence over.

I think we're talking about 2 different things here. The slow death where you can still shoot is your "bleeding out, you are in shock, but can still sort-of-function" dying situation. While it would be nice to have you occasionally take a knee, you wouldn't always hit the ground in that situation.

I figure the hit the ground situation is the "your bleeding out, dying, and can't really get up" situations, where you are effectively neutralized. It might take a few minutes to actually expire/stop breathing, so might as well go to the respawn queue, while your body finishes off it's "death rattle."

Upvote 0