• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SiC's Tactical Gaming Refuge!

Funny I still have Black Thorn installed at my parents house on their new computer since I found the disk over there in a closet buried. I remember playing Rogue Spear all the time back in 00.
I feel old now damn.
I wish more people would try this kind of playing, but its mostly rambos on the loose in gaming these days.

Hence the reason i made this site :) in about an hour, i'll update it with yet another co-op video of Nimsky and me, wich is currently uploading to youtube :)

Upvote 0
Like your stuff a lot sofar
About RVS review - You did mention extra weapons but you didn't get as excited as I would about the arsenal - it's the most incredible collection of weapons ive ever seen really ( i still have the armoury poster on my wall)
Might be worth mentioning that terrorist hunt in co-op, and in DM Team last man standing ( known as team survival) are practically the only modes played online- which is a great shame.

Your review made me re-install SWAT4 ( which i was given and for some reason had only played online). Thanks for that- it's one of the most exciting games I've played- awesome. The team co-ordination is smooth and logical too- brilliant job. So thanks for that.
If only the lethal weapons didn't have the over the top recoil - a few more lethal choices (mostly for MP) wouldn't go amiss either (spoilt by RVS you see)

I await your Ghost recon review- i reinstalled it but couldn't get online as most games I saw need Island thunder. I patched to 1.4
Maybe if i get the DA(?) mod or others more games will open up.
But it occured to me you only played GR as a single player game, and will review it as such.
I have played enough single- anyone know is there much decent co-op online and what is the best combination of patches, mods and addons?

Upvote 0
Thank you Dogbadger, i really like your comments :) Good to hear it's appreciated, even though i do it for fun as well.
You're right there about Ghost Recon though, i only played it singleplayer wich is a shame really, but i played it back when i had no clue of internet at all and thus never got into it. Now it's to late allmost, and i regret it. I have tried it but never could get online anywhere.
The same thing went for Operation Flashpoint among others.
So it's hard for me to review that really well, and thus usually only come up with the modes a game offers or offered.

And in the back of my head i also feel that for tactical games to be really good, you have to have control yourself. I'd like to put more focus on this part, your ability to command in these games.
Since most public games in most games dont really lead to good teamwork at all overall, it really depends on the people you play with, and that is different for everyone.
I could say it's good, but that would be more of an personal experience instead of the singleplayer parts of games wich is the same for everyone, and of that i can give an objective opinion far better.

Thanks again for your great comments, i really appreciate it :)
(and yes, Raven Shield's armory really is huge :D could have said more stuff about it probably but then again, i did mention amount and possibilities with them etc :) )

Upvote 0
Updated my site again today with a Ghost Recon as requested by Dogbadger :)
Hope you enjoy it mate :)
http://www.freewebs.com/tacticalgamingrefuge/ghostrecon.htm

excellent thanks- when i get the time i'm gonna have a little play again for old time's sake i think. good work
Oh yeah- i've been wondering- on your 'my games collection' picture- what is in the top right corner, next to OFP resistance?
It's clearly a flashpoint game but is it a 3rd party add-on or the dutch goty edition or something else?

Upvote 0
Hey nice work with the site,

I have a suggestion: Would it be possible to add an Arma section with the most essential maps, mods and add ons?

Aye, such a thing would be possible i guess. Only, i haven't really seen any 'essential' mods as of yet. For example, i have XAM 1.4 mod but i can join any server wich is not using XAM at all without problems. So the only thing i could think of is servers using specific mods themselves, and link to their correspondent download pages.
I think most stuff will be downloaded automatically for online games if you dont have them, and considering you can port over OFP add-ons too you've got a huge amount of files. That wont be the case for big mods though.
But if you do know some essential maps and mods etc, please do tell me and i could put them online.
I allready got a custom mission for armed assault on there however, made by me, comes with a video with the link as well to showcase it, and a link to the XAM 1.4 mod can be found there as well. (wich can be seen in the video as well)

As for Dogbadger's question: It's just Operation Flashpoint itself, only in a 'priced-down box'.
I bought it a second time cause the original was giving me some problems.
This was the 10 euro version.
The 2 boxes to the left on the second row from the top are un-official add-ons. So those are third-party. (Got them in Austria once i believe, but they gave me problems on my older pc so i havent really given them a replay)

Upvote 0
Aye, such a thing would be possible i guess. Only, i haven't really seen any 'essential' mods as of yet. For example, i have XAM 1.4 mod but i can join any server wich is not using XAM at all without problems. So the only thing i could think of is servers using specific mods themselves, and link to their correspondent download pages.
I think most stuff will be downloaded automatically for online games if you dont have them, and considering you can port over OFP add-ons too you've got a huge amount of files. That wont be the case for big mods though.
But if you do know some essential maps and mods etc, please do tell me and i could put them online.
I allready got a custom mission for armed assault on there however, made by me, comes with a video with the link as well to showcase it, and a link to the XAM 1.4 mod can be found there as well. (wich can be seen in the video as well)

As for Dogbadger's question: It's just Operation Flashpoint itself, only in a 'priced-down box'.
I bought it a second time cause the original was giving me some problems.
This was the 10 euro version.
The 2 boxes to the left on the second row from the top are un-official add-ons. So those are third-party. (Got them in Austria once i believe, but they gave me problems on my older pc so i havent really given them a replay)

I have only taken an interest in Arma until i recently tried the 1.09 patch with the performance increase. The single player campaign is rather dull but you mention its all about the multiplayer. Is the multiplayer attention mainly focused on co-op?

Also where can i get XAM 1.4 and what does it actually do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have only taken an interest in Arma until i recently tried the 1.09 patch with the performance increase. The single player campaign is rather dull but you mention its all about the multiplayer. Is the multiplayer attention mainly focused on co-op?

Also where can i get XAM 1.4 and what does it actually do?

Well there is a variety of gamemodes.
Some servers are CTF, some are DM (and suck), others are TDM, but most servers will be co-op games.
Of these co-op games, the most servers will usually run Evolution, wich basically has you and your buddies clearing out a whole lot of towns on the island, and i really do mean a whole lot. Next to that, there are also side-missions that can be taken on etc. It's pretty impressive, but if you join it chances are you wont find anyone unless your there from the start, or figure out how to join a squad and actually have them pick you up.
Usually, i'd say dont bother unless you are there from the start, or have some people you know, and team up with them (wich Nimsky and me used to do on these servers, just our 2-man squad taking on side-missions wich is totally fine).
If you want, you can join the co-op group we made here on the forums (found in social groups, link to steam group can also be found) or add me on xfire: sicdisaster so we can arrange a co-op session sometimes :)

If you take a look at the custom missions/plans page on my website, you'll find a link to the XAM 1.4 mod at my custom mission for ArmA.
What it exactly does is update a whole lot of graphic effects like smoke, fire, explosions, dirt in your face when you jump to prone from a sprint, dirt in your face after you've been to close to an explosion (comes with ringing ears and flashing of the screen), to screenflashes when bullets go by real close (fear effect, kind of resembles blinking your eye i guess).
It also changes allmost, if not all sounds for weapons. And honestly, they sound so damn great (especially m4 rifle) i dont want to go back to vanilla ArmA :D
It also adds a few custom islands, and desert camo-vehicles.
They added radio's to helicopters with old vietnam-era rock tunes and Wachner's classing assault song among others:p
Also comes with adjusted difficulty settings, you have a minor realism setting leaving ArmA pretty much as is, but on extreme simulation setting the mod takes away ALL gamey indications.
Outlined targets (when your given one by the commander for example) disappear, as well as mission markers so you'll have to read a map, if a soldier calls out a soldier at 3 o'clock the little clock in wich you can see that 3 o'clock doesnt pop up anymore and other stuff i cant think of right now. Basically, if you want to know something, you'll have to actually gather that information yourself instead of just getting it indicated and hinted at for you.
Oh, and i didnt even mention bleeding and first-aid. Those might not be the most realistic things in some people's opinions but it hardly happens anyway. Think of a shot to the arms causing you to bleed but still able to operate your weapon, you'll have to stop the bleeding by binding etc.
A patch for use if you want to play 1.09 beta is also available at that download link.
All in all, it really is an impressive mod and you wont be let down by it.
Below the mission file you can see a video showcasing the mission, using the desert camo vehicles, a custom island, different camo skins for units (far more realistic-looking) and you can hear a lot of the improved sounds :)
I'll post it in here again for ease though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRconwZ5M8

Last edited:
Upvote 0