• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shovels and Knives as melee weapons

I want to be able to unzip my pants and show the enemy my sausage so as to distract them and be shocked in awe by the its appearence, whatever that might be. I want it realisticly modeled as well, need to google up some reaserch material.

Of course following this, I'd want the 'sausage slap' implemented. Use it while unarmed.

LOL. :D I rest my case.:p

Upvote 0
It's amusing you know, to read the "if we do have a shovel, it should take numerous whacks to bring down the baddie (aka german)". Currently, you can pistol whip someone once in the back of the head and it's lights out. I dunno, I think a shovel wouldn't be any less effective. Do we currently have people running around madly, trying to pistol whip people? I just still have trouble buying the "OMG, it'll be like so abused" arguement. That said, i'd be just as happy to be able to punch someone in the face, I don't need a shovel... or stab someone with an unattached bayo, sure, that would work too. And those that have a problem with punching someone, I defer to my previous comment about pistol whipping, punching would only be somewhat less effective. It may just be me but I consider loss on the battlefield as "incapacitated", not always necessarily death.

Upvote 0
It's amusing you know, to read the "if we do have a shovel, it should take numerous whacks to bring down the baddie (aka german)". Currently, you can pistol whip someone once in the back of the head and it's lights out. I dunno, I think a shovel wouldn't be any less effective. Do we currently have people running around madly, trying to pistol whip people? I just still have trouble buying the "OMG, it'll be like so abused" arguement. That said, i'd be just as happy to be able to punch someone in the face, I don't need a shovel... or stab someone with an unattached bayo, sure, that would work too. And those that have a problem with punching someone, I defer to my previous comment about pistol whipping, punching would only be somewhat less effective. It may just be me but I consider loss on the battlefield as "incapacitated", not always necessarily death.

Just from experience i have not seen a pistol whip take someone out in one strike, usually takes 3 or four, unless they just stand there and let you. Even the silly players who try an kill their teammates in spawn with these strikes takes a while. I think it will be abused simply because of the novelty of it. Regardless, it's not needed to improve the game, IMO. These ideas seem to come up because of a rare situation that makes people angry or fustrated during the game and then want to change the entire game because of the one instance when something like that happens. If weapons were getting shot our of your hand every other time you are shot at, maybe this would be considered, but it's pretty rare, and forces you to drastically change your tactics for the moment. Instead of charging and killing, you're forced to lay low, or god forbid, run away to find another weapon or just remain out of sight. If your weapon gets shot out of your hand IRL you are not going to pull out a shovel charge. We don't have ammunition shortages to force the use of shovels. The only reason you guys want this added is to have yet another weapon if your gun is shot to continue charging and killing. Sounds like just another way to encourage a gamey style of play versus a realistic style of play.

Upvote 0
you talk of gamey style and you say that the MOST USED cc weapon by the germans would harm the REALISTIC aspect of the game

the shovel will not be abused because the community does not consist of 12 to 14 year old who think that it might be 1337 to use a shovel only
remember 1 hit kills you in 80 % of the time so they will learn not to charge like mad at you

Upvote 0
And that's another thing, when I envision using a melee weapon other than my rifle or pistol, I don't envision getting shot, dropping my weapon, not bothering to pick it up then going charging down the street with the shovel (which of course would be suicidal 90% of the time). At medium or even longer shorter ranges, it makes more sense to pick up your gun. However if you're in the same small room and the bloke shoots me in the hand, then suddenly picking up your weapon isn't practical and I want some way to take the guy out.

Again also, let me stress. I don't necessarily want a shovel, I want something. Give me a bloody brick, I don't care as long as i'm not helpless.

Upvote 0
you talk of gamey style and you say that the MOST USED cc weapon by the germans would harm the REALISTIC aspect of the game

the shovel will not be abused because the community does not consist of 12 to 14 year old who think that it might be 1337 to use a shovel only
remember 1 hit kills you in 80 % of the time so they will learn not to charge like mad at you

I'm just curious where you found that shovels were the MOST USED in close combat? I'll admit when I am wrong but I have read quite a bit of WWII history since starting playing this game and I didn't see this anywhere, would you mind sharing?

Upvote 0
I'm just curious where you found that shovels were the MOST USED in close combat? I'll admit when I am wrong but I have read quite a bit of WWII history since starting playing this game and I didn't see this anywhere, would you mind sharing?

Well hitting people with a hot/warm recently used weapon damages it. And the only piece of kit they had that could work for melee would be the shovel.
Unless they had very sharp handkerchiefs.

Upvote 0
Oh, just confirming, earlier I killed a german with a single pistol whip during some trench fighting on that sexy new beta map.

Really, a pistol whip? That's a first for me, every time I have used it or seen it it always takes multiple strikes. Maybe he was wounded or something. Anyway, I'll try it out, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0