• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
They had shotguns during that time. I'm not sure they used them, because they were VERY RARELY used in that it was almost unheard of in WW2 while they were used a bit more during WW1. The really early types were around since 1776 and became a bit more common in the 1800s and the M1897 Trench Gun was used in WW1 by the Americans.

Upvote 0
I haven't heard of anybody in the Eastern Front using shotguns. Combat shotguns have been more of an American thing until recently.

I remember hearing that they were so effective in WWI that the Germans tried to get them banned from war as being too cruel and evil.

They're not as used today, since it takes a rifle to defeat modern body armor. They do make great breaching weapons, though - you can't kill a modern padlock like a Master Lock with a rifle, one shot from a 12 ga will kill it, or a door latch/lock.

Upvote 0
They were used extensively in World War One as highly effective trench sweepers. In fact, the wounds they inflected were so gruesome that the Germans considered them immoral weapons of war and tried to get them banned.

I haven't heard anything about shotguns being used in World War Two. Everyone pretty much opted to go with SMGs for close range stuff.

In the Vietnam war, shotguns were used in the jungles. Once again, they proved highly effective.

Today, shotguns are used by police and militaries all over the world. They are good for breaching doors and gates, guard duty inside facilities and onboard ships, riot control, and urban combat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0