• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Shooting Recon Planes Down

Your screens look like you shot down your own recon plane there:rolleyes:

I was shooting recon planes left and right to kill time on the second round, I hate that map!

I don't believe it has any consequences. It would be nice if it canceled the recon or if it increased the cooldown for the next recon plane...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it works like this: (but im not 100% sure)
  • If you shoot down a recon plane in Rising Storm, it prevents the enemy team from calling recon again for the rest of the map.
  • If you shoot down a recon plane in Vanilla Red Orchestra 2, the enemy can still call planes later.
Again I'm not 100% sure, but I think it works as mentioned above. Someone will have to test. I've heard of many commanders saying that they are unable to call recon again, but I've noticed that this effect doesn't seem to apply on R02 maps. I've shot down several recon planes on mamaev and winterwald multiple times in the same match and seen the enemy call new ones every single time a few minutes later.

The above, if true, might be something that was overlooked when R02 and RS features were merged or just simply a bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it works like this: (but im not 100% sure)
  • If you shoot down a recon plane in Rising Storm, it prevents the enemy team from calling recon again for the rest of the map.
  • If you shoot down a recon plane in Vanilla Red Orchestra 2, the enemy can still call planes later.
Again I'm not 100% sure, but I think it works as mentioned above. Someone will have to test. I've heard of many commanders saying that they are unable to call recon again, but I've noticed that this effect doesn't seem to apply on R02 maps. I've shot down several recon planes on mamaev and winterwald multiple times in the same match and seen the enemy call new ones every single time a few minutes later.

The above, if true, might be something that was overlooked when R02 and RS features were merged or just simply a bug.

I dunno, that's what I thought because it happened to me as TL once... but two nights ago we shot down multiple recon planes in the same round in RS Iwo. So it must have been some kind of fluke.

Upvote 0
It doesn't end it forever on either game. I've shot down recon planes many times on the same round on Iwo Jima and Spartanovka.

You are right.

Now, is it me or the cooldown for recon planes is shorter in RS?
I was playing RS earlier today and every single time I looked up there was a plane in the sky, it was pretty silly :p

Plus, this is new to me: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/623/lvu8.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Side question: Do you need to fire into specific locations (motor, pilot, etc.) to take plane down, or does it have only single blob of HP, independent from the hit locations? (I don't think that Tripwire used any advanced programming, since shooting plane isn't exactly common, nor important aspect of the game).

Upvote 0