• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Shooting from a far distance is too easy .State your opinion!

Victhor-ASH

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
Romania
With the new double zoom implemented in red orchestra 2 i have no problem zooming and killing a opponent from 300 m with ease (im also a very good marksman) but this makes the game very frustrating , because its very easy to get killed from a further distance ,something needs to be done . Like getting rid of the weapon upgrade system and also the double zoom , on some weapons except the snipers or heavy mgs ,bit the system on the tanks is the best addition except the fact that u cant exit the tank whyle youre in it.What do u Think ?

I think it's ok as it is. You can shoot at long ranges, but you can die at long ranges as well. :) And to say "300m with ease", you can only be talking about stationary targets without cover. It's definately possible to hit moving targets at that range, but it's not as easy as you say.

Also, I don't want to be a dick, but why does everyone post ideas in general or tactics, instead of the obvious choice "ideas and suggestions"? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Why do you think 300 meters is a "far distance"? It's supposed to be a perfectly managable shot for the average person. It's only the limitations of computer graphics that makes it look like it's amazingly distant. The game should have more zoom to correct that, not less.
Wikipedia said:
On 22 September 1942, Zaytsev crossed the Volga River and joined the 1047th Rifle Regiment of the 284th Rifle Division of the 62nd Army, headed by General Nikolai Batyuk. One day, Zaytsev’s commanding officer called him up and pointed at an enemy soldier in a window 800 meters away. Zaytsev took aim from his standard-issue Mosin-Nagant rifle, and with one shot, the soldier was down. In less than a few moments, two other German soldiers appeared in the window, checking their fallen officer. Vasily fired two more shots, and they were killed.
That is a far distance. Exaggeration of myth and propaganda? Probably...but all of the armies of the time have similar stories like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do you think 300 meters is a "far distance"? It's supposed to be a perfectly managable shot for the average person. It's only the limitations of computer graphics that makes it look like it's amazingly distant. The game should have more zoom to correct that, not less.

That is a far distance. Exaggeration of myth and propaganda? Probably...but all of the armies of the time have similar stories like that.

The book and information about vasili Zaytsev is very Exaggerated for propaganda proposes. I would not take it for good fish, but it could of course have happened.

Upvote 0
Hm? Nothing against you, but while 300-330 is a difficult (and my maximum range, can't spot anything beyond) range it's not a problem to hit anything at this range with a MG. Even while he sprints. Difficult with a rifle, but not a problem for a MG. Use short bursts or semi-automatic fire and just aim some shots along his path. 2 or 3 bullets and he is gone.
And I'm managing such stuff on US servers - from Europe. Don't blame the ping, I've never experienced ping-based problems in RO2. COD would suck as hell, but RO2 manages it pretty good. :p

I like the new feature. As said, you can kill at a decent range, but you can be killed at a decent range. Everything's fair. You just have to be much more careful when moving, but that's a neat addition ;)

Upvote 0
I know that , but maybe in my opinion they should make the double zoom thingie a bit more difficult , because on many maps i found many people abuzing smoke because they cant move from a certain position to another, in red orchestra 1 there werent such problems because even if you coulf fire at long range you certainly needed some expertise and also a bit of luck in shotting someone . In red orchestra 2 i found it very difficult to kill someone because the majority of people are camping.

Upvote 0
I know that , but maybe in my opinion they should make the double zoom thingie a bit more difficult , because on many maps i found many people abuzing smoke because they cant move from a certain position to another, in red orchestra 1 there werent such problems because even if you coulf fire at long range you certainly needed some expertise and also a bit of luck in shotting someone . In red orchestra 2 i found it very difficult to kill someone because the majority of people are camping.

Well i believe the 'RO classic' mode coming will remove the main zoom function and only a mild zoom when aiming down sights. Honestly though, i find it alot easier to hit someone at range in RO2 simply because there isnt exaggerated sway to all weapons. I understood the reason for RO1's sway aka artificial realism and it worked for it. Didn't change the fact i found the sway abit too much for my taste.

Still, with the new mode coming, hopefully the reduced/cut zoom, mild sway increases, standardization etc etc will refine it to a nice sharp point. And then stab that point into the next german soldier i come across :p

Upvote 0
Don't you guys run into the fog on most maps at 225m-275m on most none custom (fogs almost none-existent on the custom ones like Ogledown or Butovo? I mean I can get kills between 175m-250m on maps like FF, CH, ROF, Pavlov, GE, its often easier with an MG, but towards the top end of that w/ a 6x scope at 250m-300m your running into fog that obscures characters on the stock maps(especially FF). Fogs actually the biggest problem for shooting at 200-300m imo.

Upvote 0
With a smg in game for sure its way to easy to shoot at long distance.With rifles it should be deadly they are in real life.With pistol rounds fired from a smg the acurracy drops considerably after 50yds.
i'm with gunther on this. the smg's are just a bit too accurate. rifles are fine. even a bit nerfed, if you ask me.
at the rifle range i can hit man-sized targets all day long with my pu sniper @500 yards. why shouldn't we be able to do it in the game as well?

Upvote 0
i'm with gunther on this. the smg's are just a bit too accurate. rifles are fine. even a bit nerfed, if you ask me.
at the rifle range i can hit man-sized targets all day long with my pu sniper @500 yards. why shouldn't we be able to do it in the game as well?

I don't dispute accuracy with the scope, but I'm an average shot and with iron sights hitting a chest-sized target at 100 yards with a Mosin-Nagant irl, while far from difficult, requires much more concentration than in RO2. Mainly due to the lack of the need to align the sights properly--it's very easy if you're not paying attention for your shots to go low or high.

I'd have to say that long range combat is too lethal at the moment.

Upvote 0
I don't dispute accuracy with the scope, but I'm an average shot and with iron sights hitting a chest-sized target at 100 yards with a Mosin-Nagant irl, while far from difficult, requires much more concentration than in RO2. Mainly due to the lack of the need to align the sights properly--it's very easy if you're not paying attention for your shots to go low or high.

I'd have to say that long range combat is too lethal at the moment.
i agree that shooting unsuported in the game the rifles are too accurate, but not supported. they're nerfed then. i usually shoot supported at the range. for kicks, next time i go, i'll shoot unsupported @100 and see how bad the results are. supported, 100 shots would be 100 in the kill zone with iron sights and my bad eyes using milsurp ammo.

as a shooter, you probably already know, the rear sight isn't very important. especially at close range. it's getting that front one in the same spot, shot after shot, that get's the best groups.

i hate to say it, cause i never really wanted it, but more sway while unsupported really would make the game more realistic.

do you get a chance to shoot your mosin at longer ranges much?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i agree that shooting unsuported in the game the rifles are too accurate, but not supported. they're nerfed then. i usually shoot supported at the range. for kicks, next time i go, i'll shoot unsupported @100 and see how bad the results are. supported, 100 shots would be 100 in the kill zone with iron sights and my bad eyes using milsurp ammo.

as a shooter, you probably already know, the rear sight isn't very important. especially at close range. it's getting that front one in the same spot, shot after shot, that get's the best groups.

i hate to say it, cause i never really wanted it, but more sway while unsupported really would make the game more realistic.

do you get a chance to shoot your mosin at longer ranges much?

It's not my rifle--it's my uncle's (Tula, 1940), and he actually lives on the other side of the United States. 100 yards supported is the longest distance you can shoot at the range he's a member at. Like I said, I'm an extremely average shot, but while hitting paper wasn't difficult in the slightest, I needed, what, five to ten seconds to line up the shot? In-game, supported, you can get a nicely aimed shot off in perhaps half that time, almost casually.

At home, I mainly shoot at the pistol range--keep the target and rear sight out of focus, concentrate on the front sight... similar principles.

The sway is fine when supported imo--I can barely see any at all. That said, I don't often play sniper. At 100 yards out to long range in-game, I'd have to say that what makes combat too lethal is the extra zoom, not the sway, which is fairly accurately modeled when rested.

Upvote 0
So all in all they need to make the sway much more powerfull or maybe to do something with the leveling , a level 50 weapon has almost no sway and is so easy to control .I think that the double zooming is too easy to shot , they should make the zoom for the sights of the weapon like a medium range between the normal one and the enchansed zoom .As an example when i play on Butovo , its too easy too shot with the svt 40 sniper , no one sees you and also its almost impossible to miss a shot because the swaying is very little . On some maps like Fallen Fighters I get sometimes like 100 kills with the sniper .Its very easy too shot . They really need to modify something , a good example in my opinion is the Armed assault 2 scope system . Is very realistic and accurate and requires a lot more effort to get a clean shot.

Upvote 0
my take on the zoom, is it's also just fine. i mean i don't have a problem seeing a man at 2-300 yards standing through my sights in real life. why should it ne impossible in the game. as it is now, you cannot see a guy three hundred yards away without the zoom. you can barely see them at all with it. the game just cannot replicate what real eyes can do.
i think just a bit more sway, when shooting unsupported, is all we really need to stop people from being able to "snap-shoot" from a standing position as easy as they can now. there's no reason i can see to nerf the rifles when you're prone or kneeling and especially supported.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
I killed enemies on far longer distances in RO1 without any zoom, and still this function does not provide me with any kind of advantage against a far off enemy, since he obviously will have the same feature. So no, I don't think this is in any way making it too easy or particularly unrealistic.

Upvote 0
I killed enemies on far longer distances in RO1 without any zoom, and still this function does not provide me with any kind of advantage against a far off enemy, since he obviously will have the same feature. So no, I don't think this is in any way making it too easy or particularly unrealistic.
what's different between the two games, to make it seem so much harder to kil at distance without the zoom? i don't get it.:confused:

Upvote 0