• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Unresponsive in browser yet still online

PK*

Dec 21, 2005
Specs are as follows:
Dual Xeon 3.0
2 GB DDR Ram

We currently run 4 RO servers, all are acting up just as they did when we were running the mod version. The issues seem to be identical to those we experienced with the mod.

Any browser or program used to view the status of a server shows it pinging at 9999 and seems unresponsive as if it crashed, however the server is indeed online and plays fine. Webadmin also seems to be intermittent when this occurs. So far it has yet to correct itself, no new players will join since they don't see it online.

Not to bring up old threads from the mod days, but I'm linking the following to help explain the issue in depth as it happened to other admins as well, at least for the mod. http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375

Any help is appreciated, thanks for listening.

Edit: Now shows back online after a few map changes. Also, we have another instance of UT2004 running on this box, as a precaution we shut it down to see if it was causing our problem. Server did come back up but not sure if disabling the UT2004 was the solution. I'll be sure to post back with my experience.

Last edited:
Same problem. Only one server on the box, all ports open.

The webAdmin interface will stop responding and the server will drop off the metaserver list, however
the game is still running, and if you were in the game when it happened, you wouldn't know any better
(i.e. everything appears normal.)

I'm not expecting any helpful insight.

-b

Upvote 0
Same problem here. It's fine for a few maps then becomes unresponsive to all query tools included the server browser. All ports are open and only one RO server running. Web admin stops working as well, and this does not seem to be directly related to doing anything with web admin as the problem can occur hours and map changes after ever using the web admin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pyros777 said:
I find this issue goes away after the map ends, and typically only happens if the user is clicking around too much in the webadmin interface. That is, while flipping through the menus, you should let each page finish loading before clicking something else. Hardly a solution, but I think a helpful observation.

This sounds like a denial-of-service evasion technique. If the webadmin interface gets too much traffic too quickly it stops responding for a time. I know that classically UT2k4 (and their mods) had a problem on linux servers where the webadmin would just go away and not come back until a server reset. Using xinetd to wrap the webadmin connection was a prior fix...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice Pyros, but I don't believe this will help us much as we've confirmed this happening numerous times without any of admin's paws in webadmin. Either way, I have always let each page load before heading to the next. I'll keep an eye on it some more but don't think this is the solution. There is definately something going on here!

This isn't just a webadmin issue. I'm more concerned with our server dropping off the browser. They could be related issues, I'm just not sure.

Upvote 0
I remember having this problem before when i was running servers for RO mod.
In linux i resolved the problem rebinding the webadmin port to another, but i don't remember the program i used.

The thing was using a program that receive a petition to the original webadmin port and redirects it to another webadmin port (different and set in .ini file)

That way my problems with webadmin stopped.

Check the old forum about RO mod on ut2004, it has lots of post (lost of them was lost when the ro guys had a problem with the server provider, that's sad), and already most of the problems we have are posted there (and lots of them are resolved on unrealadmin.org:

http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10&order=desc

I think i have the issue too in my (actually) windows server.

Upvote 0