• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Client

malice

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Will RO be getting its own server client or will there be another system to run servers.

Also are there any changes in the way the game is setup and run compared to RO:MOD.

Oh and this is a suggestion for you to included. I have setup 2 games for our box so far that use the UT or UT2004 engine (RO, Rainbow 6). Its a crappy engine to setup admin wise. The cfg isnt user friendly and you are unsure of what does what and what to change. In the server client please include example cfgs (I think there were 2 cfgs in there that look very similar). I suggest if possible moving all the stuff that is needed to the top, right now its spread out across the file. Also make sure you tell users that only this file needs to be edited and provide a list of all the variables users will need to change to setup there server.
When I first setup and RO server I had already done an R6 server so i understood the setup but when I setup Rainbow 6 it was a pain in the ass to find out what to edit and change. Also I heard somewhere that much of the stuff in that file it just left over from Ut2004 and not needed. If that is true I would suggest removing that if it hasnt already been done.

My main points were:
Good documents on what each variable does
if possible group all the needed variables at the start of the file
remove all the stuff no needed
tell user which file to edit and what to edit.

imo its not really a bad thing if users that want to set up a server are forced to inform themselves about the stuff that actually makes it tick.
If they dont, it only leads to bad configured servers :(

and there are enough people around who know what they are doing.

Nothing to say against a good documentation though :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ya that was my point, good documents and sample cfgs. There is nothing worse then being forced to setup a game server but having to sift through all the rumors and variables people think are in the game for the ones that really do work. Like with COD2 there were no documents or sample cfgs and some of the variables from before were different. Took some trying before we found the right ones.

Upvote 0