• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi-auto snipers

I've gotten pretty good with both (since I load real fast =) There is definatly a different feel between semi-auto and bolt.

It seems to me that the SVT is boresited for shorter distances. The point of aim seems to be around 100M as opposed to 200M for the M/N - These are just guesses as I don't really have a good way to measure distance in the game except guessing based on player model height.

Basically I find that for ranges under 200M you have to aim below where you want to hit with the M/N to compensate for the scope. This is less of a problem with the SVT.

The flipside is that beyond 100M you have to aim above where you want to hit with the SVT. Again this is less pronounced with the M/N.

The cartridge used by both rifles is the same - 7.62x54R, so the projectile drop and speed (how much you have to lead) should be pretty close. M/N round may be slighty faster because of the longer barrel, but I can't find data on relative round speeds. This depends on whether the powder burns fast enough to create increasing pressure behind the round for the entire length of the barrel or not.

I'm still not perfect with either rifle. I can generally hit an upright or crouched man at any range I can see him, and I'm at least 50% on moving targets. I'm well below that on prone and covered targets though. I'd REALLY like the ability to move the aimpoint up and down based on range like the Russian snipers at least had during the war. Look at the scope model, you can even see the adjustment dials, they just don't work in game.

Overall the SVT does seem to be slightly more random - I'm not sure if this is a factor of more 'sway' or what, but beyond 200m I miss a lot more with the SVT (and G-43) than the bolts.

Upvote 0
wilwheaton said:
I've managed to become pretty accurate with the SVT40 and G43
Not a problem for me.

Scoped or IS? I find the SVT40 to be very accurate and I get more one shot kills then I do with the G43. What I find ironic is I've seen players with unscoped rifles having better accuracy then the snipers. It appears to me that rifle sway is greater when scoped then using IS.

Upvote 0
{2.SS}Bauer said:
The semi auto rifles *should* have the exact same bullet drop as their bolt action counterparts. It isn't like they use different ammunition. With the 7.92x57 and 7.62x54R cartridges, the differenence in barrel length doesn't make just about any difference since they have reached just about their max efficiency in a 24" barrel. So, in real life, the bullet drop should not be the same, but accuracy isn't anywhere near the same. The SVT and the G43 were not all that accurate of weapons. My guess is around 4 MOA or so, as opposed to the bolt action sniper rifles which were more around 1 MOA. So, at 200 meters, that is the difference between a 2" group and an 8" group. Big difference.

JUST AIM FOR THE FAT GUY !!! (bolt sniper for skinny guys)

Upvote 0