• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SDK is updating

anyone else crashing when creating a new terrain?

Yeah. 3 instances of ue3shadercompiler.exe (or something like that) show up in task manager, then the SDK goes unresponsive.

I should mention someone I know can build terrain fine, the major differences between our computers is I have an AMD cpu, windows vista, and 6gb of ram. He has an intel cpu, windows 7, and 4gb of ram.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah. 3 instances of ue3shadercompiler.exe (or something like that) show up in task manager, then the SDK goes unresponsive.

I should mention someone I know can build terrain fine, the major differences between our computers is I have an AMD cpu, windows vista, and 6gb of ram. He has an intel cpu, windows 7, and 4gb of ram.

I have an Intel processor, Windows 7, and 16 GB of RAM and all I can do since the last patch is walk around and look at the work I got accomplished before it :p

I'll wait to work on it again. I can't imagine too much longer til it's released.

We'll see.... Patches seemed to be released on Thursdays (on my side of the planet anyway). Who knows maybe we'll hit the jackpot :D

Upvote 0
Is it just me? but my SDK has never been able to load all content (static meshes, materials etc...) without actually being in that level (like I have to load Fallen Fighters to get Fallen Fighters meshes and materials) and if everyone's is like this, is it possible to force the SDK to be able to use the meshes and materials without actually loading that level?

If you know, it would be much appreciated if you can help. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hurray! Is anyone having problems opening textures after the new update?

Not getting any preview on materials in the content browser, and nothing is really coming up when I double click to open the material editor. 2d textures and static props seem to be showing up normally.

EDIT: I should mention it seems to be launching fine for me through steam now, at least the app actually opens now. Before it would just cause steam to hang a bit then nothing would happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hurray! Is anyone having problems opening textures after the new update? We're currently looking into a crash that happens when you run the editor through Steam. If so try using the ROEditor.bat in binaries\Win64\ instead.

Change log for the patch?

either way , thank you guys for getting this out asap. keep up the great work! ;)

yeeeeehaw! now i can map again.

Upvote 0
There should be a stack of Tuts coming out of the RO2 SDK but I will try to help you guys get over the hill with the content browser not showing things to you properly. Essentially a thumbnail needs to be generate for the asset in question. Rather than try to explain it in MY words, lemme pull it from the UDN.

Generating thumbnails for assets

When the Content Browser needs to display a thumbnail for an asset that isn't currently loaded, it will check the asset's package to see if it has a thumbnail and quickly loads then displays it. This happens without actually loading the asset's package or any of it's data.
Thumbnails are generated automatically for most asset types by UnrealEd. You simply need load and save the package and the editor will make sure that thumbnails are rendered for all of the supported asset types.
If you're seeing a lot of assets in the Content Browser missing thumbnails, it probably means that the packages need to be resaved in UnrealEd. Note that there are many asset types that don't support custom thumbnails yet (e.g. Sounds, CameraAnims, etc.) Also note that you must save the packages in the editor to update the thumbnails. Commandlets (such as ResavePackages) are unable to generate thumbnails as a renderer is required for this.
For loaded assets, the editor will generate their thumbnail in real-time (we don't load them from a package file.)
All thumbnails are cached in memory for a short while to improve performance, but most are evicted quickly to keep memory usage light.

You don't want to resave the packages that were shipped with the game since that will break compatibility between you and the rest of the world; however, you can resave YOUR packages to get thumbnails. Let me know if that sorts it out for you.

Upvote 0
You can safely use the packages that we shipped with teh game to make maps.

I feel like a dummy asking, but I can't access game assets (IE: textures and static meshes) in the same way I can with the UDK, or RO1 Editor for that matter.

It seems if I want to use a maps assets, I'll actually need to load the map up to see them in the content browser. Is there any way to bypass this process and just open up the packages without also opening the map?

Upvote 0
I feel like a dummy asking, but I can't access game assets (IE: textures and static meshes) in the same way I can with the UDK, or RO1 Editor for that matter.

It seems if I want to use a maps assets, I'll actually need to load the map up to see them in the content browser. Is there any way to bypass this process and just open up the packages without also opening the map?

I am wondering the same thing, how can we access all the assets from all the maps without opening that specific map?

It would be much appreciated if we could get some help.

Upvote 0

Have you tried to right click the package and click "fully load"? Because that works on my end at least.

Upvote 0