• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scoreboard and Score Point System Sugestions

Witzig

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006
Germany
Scoreboard and Score Point System Sugestions

I'll try to keep this short, since i don't want to bore anyone to death. I have some ideas upon how to change the Score System, i don't know if those are improvements, since thats something the DEVs and the communtiy decide over time. I don't know if any or all of this Suggestions have merit or can be implemented, its just a way of starting a discussion (read Discussion, not Flamewar :)), this is not a Discussion about YES or NO to Scores, its a discussion about Scores. Please keep that in mind :).

I got 6 points into which one can Divide the Score Suggestions:
  • Changes to the Scoreboard in General
  • Possitive Feedback for helping the Team Objective, winning the Map
  • Possitive Feedback for Teamplay, and individual Actions
  • Zero Feedback for "Disruptive" Actions, for example Spawn Camping
  • Negative Feedback for "bad" Actions, TKing
  • How Tank kills get counted
Changes to the Scoreboard in General

I guess splitting up the Scores would be well received, though not necessary. If it would be done i would divide the Points in the following categories:
-Confirmed Kills/Kills
-Team/CapPoinits
-Deaths

Possitive Feedback for helping the Team Objective, winning the Map

Here i guess we can stay with the usual way of giving 10 Points to one Capping an Objective, but i suggest giving an additional Capture Point to anyone killing an Enemy in a Hostile Capzone (not yet capped).
In a Friendly Capzone (still under friendly control), one should get 5 Cap Points, for a 5 Minute Stay in the Capzone. Anyone killing an enemy in a Friendly Capzone or killing an Enemy while being oneself in the Capzone, gets 1 Cappoint.

Possitive Feedback for Teamplay

Here i would like to see a Confirmed Kill System, but i guess it could be a pain, and thus not worthy of introduction. But i'll bore you with it nonetheless :).
A Confirmed Kill would replace the usual Kill Column in the Scores, one gets a Confirmed Kill, anytime one kills an Enemy Soldier, while a friendly Soldier is within 5 Meters of the first. There would be no action required to get a confirmed Kill, only a check if a friendly Soldier is within 5 Meters. I guess this could encourage People to work in Groups of at least 2, forming natural Buddy Teams. A kill without confirmation would still provide 1 Team Point.

Vehicles: Everyone Crewmember in a Vehicle will receive full credit for Kills done by the Gunner. In a Vehicle with 2 Crewmembers there will be a Teampoint Award for every Kill/Cap of 2 Points, a Vehicle with 3 Crewmembers or more, will receive a Bonus of 4 Teampoints per Kill/Cap

Zero Feedback for "Disruptive" Actions, for example Spawn Camping

To provide less incentive to Camp a Spawn or a Spawnexit, a Player won't be worth Kills/Teampoints for 10 Seconds after being spawned.

Negative Feedback for "bad" Actions, TKing

A Teamkill always result in the deduction of Team/Cap Points and Kills. For each Teamkill one loses 2 Points of the Team/Cap Score and 1 Kill/Confirmed Kill, if the killed Player is in a Capzone the Penalty is doubled, if in the Spawn the Penalty is quadrupled.
Grenades which kill Teammates, after one died do not incur a penalty.

How Tank kills get counted

A destroyed Tank counts as one Confirmed Kill, + 1 Teampoint if with 1 Crewmember, +3 Teampoints if with 2 Crewmembers, and +6 Teampoints if there are at least 3 Crewmembers/Passenger in the Vehicle.

Sidenote:
Killing an Enemy Commander still gives 2 additional Teampoints, and killing an Commander of the own side, doubles the penalty normally incured for Teamkilling.

This is not complete, and if enough possitive Feedback comes in, i'll refine this even more :)

I disagree with kills being shown. Your objectives done and kills should be under one score.

HOWEVER I would like to see a kill:death ratio. It wouldn't tell how many kills you have, or your deaths, but it would tell how many kills per death. I think that would be better. I wouldn't mind it showing how many times you've killed in defending an objective, though, since that's actually useful information.

Kill to death ratios show your skill more, and it'd be less info on the board.

I think the whole getting more points for killing someone in a zone and defending one is a good idea, but your numbers are to high. It should be more like 3 for defense, 3 for killing someone while you're in a cap zone or someone that's in one.(not just someone in it.. cause then you won't get poitns when you get a kill from long range on someone approaching one)

The tank crew thing is a good idea, and would encourage people to completely man tanks instead of just the driver switching around.

I disagree with the extra poitns for killing more in the tank.. you already get 3 with 3 in it - That's enough.

You forgot to add that if someone helps to kill someone they should get the same points as the person that gets the last hit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Innociv said:
You forgot to add that if someone helps to kill someone they should get the same points as the person that gets the last hit.

I knew i forgot something :) It lurked at the back of my mind, thanks for adding that, and also Thanks for disagreeing :)

You got some valid points, and the whole Topic lends to some interesting discussions. I thought my numbers might be a bit high, but its better to start at an extreme and go to something workable, then not to try out anything not being moderate :)

Upvote 0
Here i guess we can stay with the usual way of giving 10 Points to one Capping an Objective, but i suggest giving an additional Capture Point to anyone killing an Enemy in a Hostile Capzone (not yet capped).
In a Friendly Capzone (still under friendly control), one should get 5 Cap Points, for a 5 Minute Stay in the Capzone. Anyone killing an enemy in a Friendly Capzone or killing an Enemy while being oneself in the Capzone, gets 1 Cappoint.

That is the best suggestion I heard in ages, I am one to support teammates just outside the cap zone with fire power, and miss out of caps this is a great idea, and promotes the use of cover fire to protect your team.

Upvote 0
Man I'm sorry but these ideas are awful, long-winded, and over-complicated.

This whole potential mess could be cleaned up by simply having: score, kills, and deaths columns, so that you don't just have a score where kills and points are mixed up so no one knows if you're a good shot or just a cap whore.

Kill = 1 pt in kills column + 1 in the score column
Death = 1 pt in deaths column
TK = -2 pts in score column (no affect on kills column)
Cap = 2-5 pts in score column (or more - I haven't played the mod).
Destroy tank = 1-2 pts in the score column for each player inside tank + 1 pt per kill in the kills column for the gunner.

The point is the score column makes things a whole lot clearer.

Upvote 0
I don't agree on both a kills and deaths collumn..it should just show the ratio, IMO. I think it'd make the score whores play better and less rambo then.

The RO mod only hada scores collumn. This mixed your poitns from caps and kills. It was rare for someone going around killing people to outscore someone who went around capping points, but could happen. (unless i'm mistaken.. been to long since i've plyed so don't remember if it showed your kills but i don't think it did)

So I'd really just like to see the addition of a k:d, defend points, and poitns for killing someone that's defending.. oh and assists. But hell, it's fine how it was, we are just nitpicking..
But defend points and the liek shoudl only be added if they could be done RIGHT. I don't want th em added ubt them be imposible to get casue its' done shittily like BF2's where you rarely ever get points for actually defending.
In RO you defending a point by killing someone over a block away down the road alot of times. You need to either get defend points for being in a cap point while killing someone, OR killing someone that's in a cap point while you are or are not.
But also, then this wouldn't need to be abusable on maps where sniper points are at cap location and you can hit someone who isn't even attacking..

Upvote 0
I hate individual stats not cause I suck , actually quite the opposite, I do very well with the stats.

The promotion of individual play instead of team play is why the current scoring system sucks.

It needs to be changed to reflect a team based game not a deathmatch style game.

If you like kill verus death scores I know a fair few games more appropriate in having these. Any game that promotes teamwork is not one of them.

Upvote 0
They have to wait to respawn, then they have to run from where they where. They might of been in a good spot and on there way treying to get back to that area they get killed, etc.

Like often i'll get 15 kills in a row without dying, but then die, and that 1 death sets off a chain reaction of more deaths.

Upvote 0
I done that before it called a stealth cap. Either way a pure death match score is not really appropriate for team play. Still you don't get it killing is only part of a team approach to the game.

Hell in real life you can win ground by pure supressive fire. Not possible in a sucidial game.

Either way a pure deathmatch approach to scoring is wrong. Now prove to me why it is not instead of your silly comments.

Upvote 0
what i would like to see, is the time u r in the server, it was like that in the old days, and it gave u the idea of points over time, so that if u joined in the middle of a map, u could still compare your score with others.
btw, one of the big problems of the scoreboard, and why it is so simple now in the mod, is space. when the score was more detailed, u couldnt see all the players, only the ones with more points.

Upvote 0